BX1870 Won't Start

sgraber

Jan 24, 2016
US
Since the weather was so nice, I used my 1870 yesterday to get some yard work completed. While I was turning it over, I started hearing a mechanical sound when I would turn the key -- it kind of sounded like someone taking a stick over a grate really fast - very metallic. It only sounded like that when I first started the tractor and immediately stopped once the tractor was running. I continued to use it and got it back in the shed, but now it won't turn over at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZURSgki1Tc

I took the battery in and it tested fine -- 12.4 V, 770 CCA. The solenoid in the engine does engage and disengage when I turn the key, but it just won't turn over. Thinking it was one of these safety switches, I hopped on the seat and moved the PTO lever a couple times back into the disengaged position and I moved the hydrostatic foot controls forward and reverse a couple times while I had the key turned on. It made no difference. It's possible one of the switches is stuck, but I'm not sure where they are under the tractor to even check.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Sounds like the fuel solenoid or fuel pump, it would be very easy to track exactly where the noise is coming from if you lift the bonnet.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fuel pump, relay chatter, or stop solenoid would be my choices too.
Track down the noise to the part!

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I was going to add the OPC timer and timer relay, but didn't want to muddy the waters too much yet!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That buzzing/clicking sound is from the fuel pump, so I would start checking grounds they can go south pretty quick and with out warning. The battery is good check the starter, again bad connections, or the starter it self maybe bad. Look for the simple stuff first, fuses, grounds, power connections ect

OH YEAH one more thing to look for is that dayum PTO lever,,,, sometimes it can look like its all the way up, but the switch is not making contact pull it up and jiggle it just to rule it out as well. If that switch is not made she no gona start,,,, dont ask how I know this,,,

Last edited:

turck

Equipment
m5140, JD2020, ford 850, farmal 240
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
I think tooljunky is right about the starter, if the solenoid is engaging when you turn the key then doesn't that mean the circuit is complete? Also 12.4 volts may be a tad on the low side as I have seen a 12 volt battery at 13 plus volts when fully charged. Oh I would also put a load test on the battery to make sure you can eliminate it as your problem.

sgraber

Jan 24, 2016
US
One of the safety switches. Make sure the pto lever is off, ck the switch under the seat.
I had thought this as well. I do know that I do not need to be seated in order to turn the tractor on, so the seat switch shouldn't be the issue. If I sit in the seat, turn the key all the way clockwise and engage and disengage the PTO, I can hear a difference in the electrical clicking but it doesn't start. I greased the HST zerk so the FWD / REVERSE pedals are smooth and retried to start it while moving the HST foot pedals and still got nothing. I checked the fuses and they're all good.

sgraber

Jan 24, 2016
US
Sounds like the fuel solenoid or fuel pump, it would be very easy to track exactly where the noise is coming from if you lift the bonnet.
The noise was subtle but only happened when I was able to successfully turn over the engine while the starter was actuated. Now that I can't even turn over the engine, I no longer hear it.

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
The noise was subtle but only happened when I was able to successfully turn over the engine while the starter was actuated. Now that I can't even turn over the engine, I no longer hear it.
The sound file/video that you posted you couldn't get it to crank, are you saying it's not making that sound when you turn the key now?

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
As you'll see from the electrical diagram, only the PTO and HST switch are directly in line with the starter motor circuit.

sgraber

Jan 24, 2016
US
The sound file/video that you posted you couldn't get it to crank, are you saying it's not making that sound when you turn the key now?
Correct. Now that the tractor will no longer start, I no longer hear the sound. The only time I heard the sound was when it was still starting and only lasted as long as I held the key in the start position.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That sound is not the starter. Damned if I know what it is, but that sound isn't a problem.

If I just turn my key to the "run" position on my BX, I get the same sound for as long as it stays there. It originates from under the tractor, so I'm thinking lift pump like skeets said, or related.

Did you hear a hard "click" after turning the key back to off? That would be the stop solenoid re-setting, and I think I heard that on your video - which is good. I believe on a BX, the stop solenoid resets to open after shutdown - thus it doesn't need to open again to start. That's from memory, so don't hold to that one.......

Your tractor wasn't allowing the starter to crank - so I'm thinking safety switch first, like the other guys said. Probably electrical/safety type thing, like PTO switch, foot peddle, fuse on the starter circuit.

Make sure your starter is getting juice. I haven't looked at an electrical schematic, but many have a fuse in-line to the starter. Also, rock the foot peddle while turning the key- same with the PTO control lever.

However - since you are no longer getting that sound either, there is definitely an electrical thing (or two) going on. Check all fuses, connections, juice to starter. Not sure if the battery is out of the question, either, or at least connections to it - especially grounding.

85Hokie would say all connections need to be bright and tight!

Sorry so long - several things came to mind along the way, and I thought they were worth adding.......

Good luck!

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I'd take out the fuel pump and try it there or run a separate hot wire to by pass everything to see if it pumps. They are a darn cheap looking thing and easily can go bad, especially those that are not Kubota brand. I speak from experience.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That sound in the video seems like a lift pump or a solenoid. I would think a lift pump would stop after a few seconds when it pumped the lines full and reached some pressure. That leads me to think it may have been a solenoid that is now burned out or the fuse popped on its circuit.

If you can check the starter by jumping a screwdriver between the correct points. I will leave that to someone else to tell you since I am not familiar with that tractor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Fuel pump, heard that noise before. Many machines make that sound. Ford diesels are one i specifically recall.

Why its not cranking, is more likely a control/safety switch issue.

sgraber

Jan 24, 2016
US
What is the recommended way to check the safety switches? Do I need to pull them and check for continuity or can I test them without removal?

Someone mentioned I can test the starter with a screwdriver. Do I need to pull the starter or how do I do that?