Grease Cleanup

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
So after the third "nipple charge" the squeeze out is starting to mess things up. I'm not an obsessive clean freak but would appreciate any suggestions to make the clean up a little easier.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Stop when grease starts to come out, if it doesn't need three don't give it three. ;)

Follow up with a good rag to clean up. :)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can get hand wipes at auto parts stores to clean up with after rag wiping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Wolfman,
I stop as soon as I see the squeeze out (but do wait to see some so I know it's getting there). The third I was referring to was instruction to "grease every 10 hrs" and I now have 30 hours on the unit. I can imagine what it will look like after 100 hours.

But, if wipes is as good as it gets, so be it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
At least one forum member uses WD-40 as a solvent to tidy up. Swiffers and paper towels work well since rags are not welcome in a washing machine after being used to pick up globs of grease.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I kind of wondered of WD40 or brake cleaner might ease the clean up but wondered if might degrade the grease benefits if it got in the "joint". I suppose a little discretion on the amount used is in order.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman,
I stop as soon as I see the squeeze out (but do wait to see some so I know it's getting there). The third I was referring to was instruction to "grease every 10 hrs" and I now have 30 hours on the unit. I can imagine what it will look like after 100 hours.

But, if wipes is as good as it gets, so be it.
Sorry I misunderstood, I apologize, I did take it as 3 pumps of the grease gun. :eek:

WD40 is fine to use, brake parts cleaner will eat the paint right off of the parts.

I use cloth rags with some purple cleaner, then toss them in a bucket with purple cleaner, that way when you wash them they do not leave the washing machine full of grease.
Also if you ever get grease or oil on your clothes you can wash them with purple cleaner and 90% of the time you'll never know you ever got any on them. ;)

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So after the third "nipple charge" the squeeze out is starting to mess things up. I'm not an obsessive clean freak but would appreciate any suggestions to make the clean up a little easier.
Im with NIW - and have learned my lesson.....more grease is just that, more grease that is wasted!! I pull the trigger once (pneumatic gun) and watch, then again....once I see grease oooozing. QUIT!

IT took me 45 minutes with a small electric pressure washer to clean off all that extra grease (from about 8 greasings) - then I had to clean off WHERE that grease ended up!:eek:

It is very hard to get a rag or whatever into that little area where grease oozes too!

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
....rags are not welcome in a washing machine after being used to pick up globs of grease.
This is something I have been thinking about for awhile and haven't come up with an idea.

NIW,
Is the purple cleaner some type of degreaseing product? How well does the purple cleaner work? Does it take a few soakings? I have a second washing machine to run the rags through so they don't have to be perfect.

Apologies in advance for hijacking of the thread.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Back in the days when i worked underground, I got thrown out of more than one laundromat for my work duds being yucky. And when we got a new washer I kept the old one just for that reason. I found that simple green worked so well that there wasnt even a grease ring left in the laundry tub

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have used WD-40 to clean up grease on my L3901DT. I spray some on a paper towel and use that to clean the grease. Before I start to grease, I will spray some WD-40 on the old grease to clean that up first. This is something that I learned from the forum.

Back in the days when i worked underground, I got thrown out of more than one laundromat for my work duds being yucky. And when we got a new washer I kept the old one just for that reason. I found that simple green worked so well that there wasnt even a grease ring left in the laundry tub
Skeets, I use to work for my cousin fixing radiators. To get the tank off to rod a radiator we would heat the solder and use a rubber mallet to bounce the solder out of the joint. That solder would landed mostly on your pants and stick. We would all use the same washing machine at the laundromat till it would needing cleaned out (pump) and move to a different machine. It's a wonder the owner never ran us off. I don't think it did any permanent damage to the machine.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
As much as it's needed, I hate grease. I can't seem to keep from
getting it all over me.

I've used purple power or simple green to soak the areas then put the power washer to it. First time I did it I didn't remove the loader from the tractor, not the smartest decision, I certainly do now.

In fact, mine could stand to be de-greased at the moment. Ill add it to the list of spring clean up duties.tjinkmill try the WF-40 method once it's cleaned up.

Mine hasn't seen much use as we have had an extremely mind winter, only a dusting of snow, but too wet to really get out and do much.

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
I found a little diesel on the rag makes wiping so it just does not smear it about. Then pop in the wood stove for kindling or a bit of heat, So far has not affected the finish.

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
In some instances, when you see the grease oozing out, you have over greased, and damaged the grease seal. Then you really have to grease. Just saying...

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Got some mean green, so that and the WD40 seems like what I will be doing. Interesting point on the seals -hadn't thought about that. So the just enough approach seems like the best course (which also minimizes the clean up).

Thanks all.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is something I have been thinking about for awhile and haven't come up with an idea.

NIW,
Is the purple cleaner some type of degreaseing product? How well does the purple cleaner work? Does it take a few soakings? I have a second washing machine to run the rags through so they don't have to be perfect.

Apologies in advance for hijacking of the thread.
Yes the purple cleaner is a degreaser, I but it at Home Depot, Zep make a version that is cheaper than the rest and I think better.
It's really strong so if you get it on you it will eat the dead skin right off you and make your hands super soft, FYI, then after that it kind of hurts so use rubber gloves. :p
It only take a short time for the rags to come clean, and you don't need the purple cleaner to be straight either, 1/4 cleaner 3/4 water is fine. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Castrol super clean.
Simple green.
I buy them both by the gallon.
Use it in the wash occasionally too.

As far as greasing, i have a paper towel dispenser, used for cleaning my hands with waterless hand cleaner. Used paper towels go into a box that i in turn use to wipe off grease and clean up oily spills. A use for something that otherwise goes in the trash.

Last edited:

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Something worse than grease is Never Seize. Everytime I use that stuff I get it all over me. Hard to get off, too. My motto is : if a little bit is good a lot is a whole lot better......ha ha ha. Could be part of the problem.

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
In some instances, when you see the grease oozing out, you have over greased, and damaged the grease seal. Then you really have to grease. Just saying...
Agree! But I think these guys are talking about bushings or the pins on a FEL. These really need the old grease pumped out a bit in order to "flush" the grit away.