L35 won't move

Tinkertoo

Feb 14, 2017
oregon city
Running tractor down the road, and when I came up on my gate I put it in neutral then let tractor roll freely with the GST in gear.. noticing this error I ran the GST into neutral and was still rolling. Got off tractor to open gate, and when I tried to put it forward and 3rd gear it would not move.
The next day I went out and checked the oil level, it was on the stick but just barely. Filled to proper level and tried tractor again, it had nothing.. after about 30 seconds it started to move...in fwd 1st gear.. ran it up to the shop and parked it. felt like, something was not engaging completely. Clutch was giving no signs of being worn up to this point .. really suspecting the GST..

accepting any and all thoughts.. thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
GST's are very tricky, there could be several different things going on.

Get the WSM for it, it will walk you through properly troubleshooting the entire system. ;)

Tinkertoo

Feb 14, 2017
oregon city
I have ordered the WSM, it should be here on the 23rd and I have a week off work starting at that time. Hopefully it's something not to complicated. I am see fluid on the glide shift operator, coming from the lines that are attached to it. if that is any indication of some specific problem.

Thanks for being willing to help, as I am not getting much support from local tractor repair shops.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Once you have the WSM look it over and then if you have other questions or need some clarification we can help more.

I've repaired a few of them and understand quite a bit about how they work. ;)

Tinkertoo

Feb 14, 2017
oregon city
Hello Wolfman,

I have received my WSM and if my hunch is correct we are dealing with about 4 pages. 3M12 thru 3M17.. It seems to not be building pressure where it should to engage the hyd. clutch. If you plan to walk me thru it which I really appreciate.
Baby steps will be required. Very qualified mechanic, but this is first.

thank you in advance for any help.

Tinkertoo

Feb 14, 2017
oregon city
also may want to include 3M18 thru 3M24 and especially 3M23 and 24..

very interesting read, still not sure where to start.

thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Could be worn clutch. Not unheard of. Neither is a broken shuttle clutch. The snap ring tends to break out of the pack assembly and then-just as you've described it won't build any pressure and you're then dead in the water.

You'll want to check the pressures before doing anything drastic. If all those are ok, you're going to have to go into it. L35's are not the funnest tractor to have to split.

Tinkertoo

Feb 14, 2017
oregon city
I have to say that these forums are very helpful and I am sure that you guys have helped many.. As far as the issue with my L35 from 1995 with 850 hrs. seems to be a NOT common but not so uncommon one.
LUGBOLT.. has guessed correctly. the pressure was not high enough going to the hydraulic clutch. Caused by the weak housing, (that these tractors have) on a snap ring retaining area. causing the clutch pack to separate and not generate enough pressure to move. Wolfman was very helpful with the grease gun hose and gauge idea. It let me at least confirm what I expected. Then had a pro actually get as far to confirm the broken housing scenario. Thanks again for all the help.

There are several Kubota L35 Owners that feel this should be a recall event, as they have engineered an upgraded replacement.

I have been quoted by 2 different sources in my area, and both seem to feel like it's a 20 hr job... $$$. and about 1100$ in parts.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
MOST of the ones I'd seen that broke the shuttle clutch housing were low hours. Kubota paid for a LOT more than they were obligated to, sometimes out of warranty-but usually only slightly out. They only had 1 year.

Might have the dealer call & ask them about it. Never know. Worst case, they'll just say nah, it's too old and we can't offer any assistance-which puts you back to where you're at now. Or they'll buy the clutch and parts. Never know! Don't get your hopes up but it's always worth the time to call After all, the tractor is 22 years old.

Riplin

Equipment
L35
Aug 10, 2016
Canada
Hey Tinkertoo, I know where your coming from as I purchased a used l35 last year and had very similar problem as you. the tractor would basically die if i put it in higher gears 5 and above. It also had no pushing power whatsoever. I had to bring it to a local mechanic and it ended up being something stuck in the gst relief valve and the clutch was shot.

All in all the guy who sold it to me was very dishonest and I've warned alot of people now about him.

It still is a very nice tractor. Very heavy duty and a good digger. Once I got it fixed over 2g later the thing works like a top now.

Good luck.