Front wheel fell off.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If you didn't get a workshop manual when you were trying to get it running, now would be a really good time to get one. It will show you chapter and verse of that repair. It's not really hard to do but there are a couple of small surprises. I haven't been into one in years so I will defer to the others that have. I will bet that their first suggestion is a workshop manual. You might post model and trans type to get the ball rolling.

Streetmedik

Equipment
L3300, B4690
Jan 26, 2017
Henryetta, ok, USA
Found the section.... I have a feeling this will be an expensive repair.

Any suggestions on how to get it back into the building on three wheels?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When my front wheel locked up, (broken gears) I lifted the front end with the FEL bucket & used it as a skid to back into the garage. That's assuming you have an FEL, of course. Moved another tractor with a front tire rolled off the rim by jacking it up with a floor jack, and using that as a "wheel".

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Use a heavy ratchet strap from the axle to the FEL to hold it up and carefully limp it back to the shop. ;)

Looks like it might be as simple as a keeper clip has come off.

Double checked the pictures, you're right it doesn't look pretty!

Last edited:

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
Given the lack of oil anywhere in the picture, I would be quite concerned about the whole front axle!

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Given the lack of oil anywhere in the picture, I would be quite concerned about the whole front axle!
Looks like the oil leaked out and the water has leaked in. Running with no oil, the ball bearings start skidding instead of rolling. Looks like maybe the lower ball bearing broke up allowing wheel hub to fall off - the bevel case may still be ok.

If the bevel gear case is damaged there's a used one with good pics here. For s/n 54421 or below the part is TA040-12802. For higher s/n the part is TA040-12803, but the earlier style should fit. Just need to get the correct seal.

Its sometimes amazing the abuse and neglect Kubotas will tolerate and still function. Good luck bringing this one back to life, Dick B

Attachments

Last edited:

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If you are close to where you are going, the quick way is to raise the front end with the bucket and steer with the brakes split. If you have to turn around or go any distance. Wolfman's suggestion is perfect.

Fractal

Equipment
L2501
Dec 27, 2016
Billings, Mt
Found the section.... I have a feeling this will be an expensive repair.

Any suggestions on how to get it back into the building on three wheels?
My solution would probably be to use the FEL to raise the front end off the ground using my flatbed trailer as a support and chain/strap it to the trailer and have someone tow the trailer at idle on both the vehicle and tractor very carefully to the shop and back it in to where you can use the FEL as a skid as suggested. Sounds complicated, but makes perfect sense in my mind, and you have to have the correct trailer of course....

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My solution would probably be to use the FEL to raise the front end off the ground using my flatbed trailer as a support and chain/strap it to the trailer and have someone tow the trailer at idle on both the vehicle and tractor very carefully to the shop and back it in to where you can use the FEL as a skid as suggested. Sounds complicated, but makes perfect sense in my mind, and you have to have the correct trailer of course....
Just load it on trailer. One man operation then.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How would you do that with only 3 wheels?
You must have never "walked" a tractor out of a stuck spot with the loader.
You can actual "walk" it right on using the loader, lift and curl. ;)

And the other and faster option, like I said earlier, you can just use a ratchet strap or chain to the FEL and hold the axle up and it will ride on the other wheel and limp it back to the shop. :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014

And the other and faster option, like I said earlier, you can just use a ratchet strap or chain to the FEL and hold the axle up and it will ride on the other wheel and limp it back to the shop. :D
Rear axle is rigid, front tilts. It would lean some but would work. Like a car trailer with one wheel missing,chain axle up so it wont drag.

Fractal

Equipment
L2501
Dec 27, 2016
Billings, Mt

Gotcha. This is why I frequent this site now! lol

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Found the section.... I have a feeling this will be an expensive repair.......
Replacing everything that has a blemish could get spendy. But it would be sensible to take it apart, clean everything up, replace only parts actually broken or badly worn, and put the tractor back to work. I'd guess you could be in and out relatively cheap. If you post some pics as you go you'll get good advice.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
I have been through 4 kubota ones and 3 jd hubs. I can say they are similar. And not difficult with proper tools. (Snap ring pliers and a hammer)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There are a couple of clips in there that will make you say bad words if you don't understand where they are and how to get them out! And they might be the reason it came unglued!