Bing Bang Pow!

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
From the looks of it a rod cap bolt must have broke or come loose and caused the damage alone or possibly caused by the rod bearing failure causing it to hammer itself apart eventually but it would have had to have ran that way for quite a period of time with a healthy knock and low oil pressure since the rod itself is fully in tact yet. Had there been any lower end engine work done to it previously that you know of?

clark_bailey

Equipment
Kubota L3710, L3600 and Bobcat T190
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
No lower end work, I was told. Interesting is #2 rod, #1 rod is darkened from heat and both #1 and 2 rod bearings were thinned. 3 and 4 rod, bearings look like new. The story was the tractor was stuck pulling a log up a steep hill. Knocking began and her husband said keep bucking it, then Bing bang pow. Looking at the crank to rod surfaces I think more is to the story like low on oil for more than just a minute or two. However I am surprised if that was the reason because the filters and all other fluids were appropriate, date and hour marked too. Since I was not witness to the event (s)...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That is what happens when you hydro lock them.
That could happen because it blew a gasket or cracked the head, or floated a injector and flooded the piston with diesel.
All of those could have happened on pulling a long hill working it real hard. ;)

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
When I first looked at the rod I thought hydrolock also. Then I noticed the offset steps as you move down the rod. I think the crank was hitting the rod after the cap came off. each hit was further up the rod as the piston moved down due to gravity. I suspect the radius on the left side of the rod matches the diameter of the crank pin. This is the radius that lines up with the paper towel.
With all the rod bearings damaged the initial failure was most likely loss of oil pressure.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I didn't read the replies, but I seen the picture....that plug you found that was out? I have one at the house right now (neighbor's tractor) and that plug-or one just like it-is out. Oil pressure is 3 psi hot at full throttle. It would run a while on 3 psi. But not forever. The plug that came out on his was on the side, and intersects the oil pump suction passage-explaining why it has little oil pressure.

Could that be your problem as well?

clark_bailey

Equipment
Kubota L3710, L3600 and Bobcat T190
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
that was a suspect to me, yes the plug was out of the block, laying in some oily residue next to the steering cylinder, just below the front cover on the engine.