Must have tools for kubota tractor.

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
I am an industrial mechanic I use to be a car mechanic. I have some smaller metric sockets and wrenches. I was wondering what must have tools will I need to add to my garage box?While we are at it what do you guys recommend to have on the tractor at all times?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There have been several fun threads on that topic in the last couple of years. While you wait for some additional suggestions here, to find those old ones, do a search of this forum. The tricks are

Click on Search above
Choose Advanced search
Type in "tools" and select "titles only" ( not all fields )

You'll find one by Volp that focuses on what to carry on the tractor. :):):)

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
If your tractor has a mower deck you'll definitely want to keep a third hand in your toolbox for deck installation... :)

Really, it's hard to answer your question without knowing what you intend to do. If you're talking about setting up shop as a mechanic I'm sure there are several specialty tools you would need. If you're just interested in general maintenance and repair of your own machine, your existing toolbox should probably be just fine (as long as you have metric tools).

A few things that seem to get a lot of use with me:
1) A micrometer - seems I'm always needing a precise measurement of some bolt, seal, ring, shaft, etc.
2) Really long needle nose pliers
3) Snap ring pliers - Kubota loves snap rings
4) 3-jaw puller - saves a lot of prying and beating when you are removing things like pulleys.

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
It's a Kubota .. you are a mechanic .. do the regular maintenance and you never need carry tools :) ..

That said I carry a tire plug/patch kit, that's it.

The tools you have are enough to start getting it in shape, don't buy anything till you need it!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I stopped carring tools on a tractor inthe truck on the bike years ago,,, no matter what happens you dont have the right tool anyway lol
Really what metric stuff you have will work unless your doing a major over haul, sure stuff breaks but no big deal you can fix it, and just remember there is always redneck engendering to get you back. Dont over think things and you will be fine with what you have

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
Don't have room for table saw I decided a mill and lathe would be be better use of space:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've got 2 lynch pins (1/4"). two different dia. and lengths of pins for top link, pliers, box knife to cut twine.

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
When I got my BX, the dealer installed the Kubota tool box. Small and cheap plastic. I replaced the plastic box (the mount on the ROPS is nice and strong) with a large .50 Cal Ammo tin. I keep a knife, two medium adjustable wrenches, a pair of piers, a screwdriver, latex gloves, some paper towels, a few medium ratchet straps, a pull/pull manual chain saw and a spare sweat band. So far, only the ratchet straps have been needed (to secure way oversized loads of bush to the FEL) and the saw. Nothing worse than being a half mile from the house and needing to deal with something and being faced with hiking back and forth. I figure, since I carry it with me, I'll never need it. Like insurance.:p

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I had an Easy Rider Rifle rack on my RPOS.the AK looked really good in it.. But then the OL saw it and I got the look,,,you know that look,
And you being from Newyorkastan that might not work out really well for you,, just sayin :D

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I had an Easy Rider Rifle rack on my RPOS.the AK looked really good in it.. But then the OL saw it and I got the look,,,you know that look,
And you being from Newyorkastan that might not work out really well for you,, just sayin :D
Back when I lived in NJ, a pal had a rifle rack in the back window of his pickup. Kept his 4' level in it. Then his rifle in a case on the floor behind the seat....:cool:

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
Yea don't see gun racks in pickups anymore. My uncle had a scabbard made for a 3030 and had it mounted to the fender of his old ford tractor back in the day.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you are a mechanic you probably have all basic tools you'll need. Yeah, I said basic because who ever has enough tools.

Best thing I suggest for the garage is a top notch PM program. Don't try to go cheap and cut corners. Use Kubota filters and at least SUDT-2 fluid. I would also suggest synthetic grease such as Amsoil. Keep everything up to date and changed on time.

For the tractor: Take care of the garage part and the most important thing you'll need on the tractor is a water jug.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I carry a small socket set and a few crescent wrenches. It's usually something on an implement that needs to be tightened. Don't forget extra washers and pins. I have two shotgun shell pouches I hang from the ROPS. I keep a mallet, rachet straps, rags, bug spray and sunscreen in them. They have worked out great. I also have a ROPS mounted tool box that I keep my earmuffs and gloves in. A fire extinguisher with an ATV mount. Wire cutters. Here's a few pics.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20278

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Come on guys...

A cell phone and a good wife...when it breaks...call your friend to come help fix it or leave it and go have a beer with your buddy and think it over.

Call the wifey...tell her it is taking longer than you thought...go ahead and eat dinner...you will be back when you finish...

Jeezz...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Come on guys...

A cell phone and a good wife...when it breaks...call your friend to come help fix it or leave it and go have a beer with your buddy and think it over.

Call the wifey...tell her it is taking longer than you thought...go ahead and eat dinner...you will be back when you finish...

Jeezz...
Oh one much better!
A cell phone and a great wife!

Call the wife and have her bring you a drink, a snack, and tools... then when you can't fix it, take her out and have dinner and drinks with her! :p

My wife is great! :D

Last edited:

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
I pretty much had the same idea as what has been recommended so far . I don't have alot of big metric wrenches or sockets . From reading posts I gather the spindle nut for the blades are 30 mm. Will have to pick that socket up . I carry channel locks and a crescent wrench most times but I prefer to use the proper sized wrench. Many years of fixing ham fisted screw ups by want to be mechanics and apprentices. Besides trying to find a left handed crescent wrench was hard enough ,can't imagine how hard it will be to find a metric left-handed crescent wrench.::D