Recommend me a new grease gun

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I got a Kubota one with my tractor in November and it works great, the only question is - it is a brute to get the thing off the grease fitting. You have to wiggle, pull, wiggle, pull, and then it releases, I have for many years used a Wanner gun and it went on and off with ease.
I tried it on the fitting and it went on and off with ease.

Should I return the Kubota one for a new one, or it that just how they are?
Most tips have some adjust-ability - some do not, by turning the outside "nut" you can make it tighter or looser.

The lock-n-lube never needs adjusting!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I did learn a trick for getting more grease out of the cheap ones, stuff some paper towel behind the cartridge and it helps to keep the grease from bypassing the seal.
Yours may not but some guns have a reversible seal. Turned one way is for bulk fill and the other is for cartridge type.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Are the Lincoln's above made in the USA ? I like the pistol grip type (manual).
Looks like the manual Lincolns are made in India these days. Those pneumatics look cool and from the testimonials I'm sure they're highly effective, but I think I'm going to go with a manual Lincoln and save a few bucks.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I bought a pistol grip manual grease gun years ago and recently a new one from Harbor Freight. It has a release valve on top but otherwise works the same as the other. One wears a Lock-n-lube and one doesn't. The one that doesn't has a tip that can be opened/loosened as mentioned in someone's earlier post.

Since I was a kid working in a service station to a hand on a well servicing rig to years later fat old retiree I've never used a grease gun that wasn't messy in some way or another. Grease is just messy stuff. But if you take the time to clean your tools up before putting them away it sure helps the next time you go to grab it and put to use. WD40 & paper towels go a long way towards cleaning up that gun. And when you think its empty; pull back the ram all the way and set it off in detent for a bit. Then release it and s-l-o-w-l-y push it forward a time or two before using it. You just may find out it wasn't empty after all. :)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"Grease is just messy stuff."

Amen to that !!!!

Seems all my grease guns whether they are old style, new style or small style - they ALL hang on a hook!! AND in the summer, they oooze oil, not really the grease - but the melted oil in the grease. AND that too starts off as a mess. I have a zip tied freezer bag (big ol condom) that is semi permanent on the bottom of the guns, with a paper towel folded up in it. As the grease drips - the towel sucks it up, bag holds it in. Does not get in the way of using it either.
But damn I swear I end up with more grease on my hands than in the zerks!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I'm sure glad someone started this thread, I need to improve on what I have, seems stuff like this isn't made as well as it use to. Growing up, we only had one gun and filled it out of a 5 gallon pail, no telling how old that thing was and worked great.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
My old gun always worked, but it was a 3 handed job. One to hold the barrel, one to hold the zerk, one to pump the grease. It go to the point where I'd go longer than I should without greasing things because it was a hassle.

A few weeks ago I bought this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121924962361?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Trigger, pnumatic, $20. Works like a champ. Will it last 20 years like my last one? I don't know, but it's sure a whole lot easier to use.

caper

Equipment
BX 25
They sound like they are more hassle than what they are worth and slip off often and cant fit in tight areas. what ya want is a pistol style grease gun to leave one hand free to hold fitting on zerk , with an adjustable tip and you can fine tune it to fit perfect and eazy removal as in my pic , one is adjustable and one is not , its getting harder to find this tips on new grease guns tho , cost cutting measures i guess and pocket the extra profit just like everything now days

Attachments

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Last edited:

caper

Equipment
BX 25
Just be advised I know of 5 zerks minimum on a BX25 that you would never even come close to getting at with that unit , nor any of my driveshaft universals on my Toyotas and other vehicles , so before you spend the big bucks on an unnecessary novelty item IMO , ya gota ask yourself if ya want to carry around a normal end with ya and continually change them out , grease on your hands ,drop them in the dirt etc..... Or the other option is carry around 2 grease guns to do one job .

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Caper,

I know the treddle is a problem - which others? (have I missed!)
I have never had a problem on my BX at this point. I have more problems pulling the damn rubber mat back than I do hitting the zerk with the L-N-L!!!!!!!!:D

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I took it from a comment elsewhere the treddle was a problem (haven't greased it yet - soon). So that still begs the question - are there other zerks beyond the FEL and BH I need to find?

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
I took it from a comment elsewhere the treddle was a problem (haven't greased it yet - soon). So that still begs the question - are there other zerks beyond the FEL and BH I need to find?
The pedal is no issue at all with the l&l. Just did mine again today.

Wildfire did a video on his YouTube about the L&L on his bx25. It looked like it did a good job. There is also another one he shows where it is like an air hose female connection. Works ok too.