M4950DT Questions

downeye

Equipment
Tractor M4950DT
Sep 9, 2009
Pembroke ON Canada
I just purchased a used M4950DT (4WD) Kubota tractor. It has 2800 hrs and likely made in mid to late 80's. If anyone has had experience with this model, I would appreciate any comments.

I had a few questions ...

Crankcase Vent: Seems to be a fair amount of air coming out of the Crankcase vent tube. It is clean air (no oil). Is this normal or does it indicate engine problem?

Engine. This tractor has an in-line 6 cylinder. Kind of unusual in a tractor of 53hp. Is this engine some kind of oddball?

Cold Starts. Even at above freezing temperatures, it likes to be given the glow plugs to start. I run them for 15 seconds and it will start. Is it normall to need glow plugs at 10 degrees C (40 F)? I noticed on the site video that 60 seconds is recommended for cold weather. I have not had it through a winter yet so not sure what to expect.

Glo Plugs. I would like to remove them and check them. Has anyone had trouble with them breaking off when trying to remove glo plugs. Can I test a glo plug withou removing it from the head?

Manuals. I would like to purchase a parts manual and a repair manual for this tractor. I checked on-line and can find them for many other Kubota's but cannot find one for a M4950DT, and very rare for any M series. Can anyone suggest where I can find one?

Thanks in advance

ED

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Get your manual and a good multimeter and measure the resistance in each plug against kubota spec., and you might want to get a manometer and actually check blow by against allowable crankcase pressure which indicates condition of rings, cylinder head valve guide wear, gaskets, worn parts can exceed allowable limits for power on the compression side of the engines rated HP. At 2800 hours you have wear and keep a constance check for coolant in your oil. This model helped Kubota develop the modern M Series Utility lineup. It's a great piece of Iron, give it your best.....;)