New BH77 Lever Problem

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
Hello to all, I am a new member, and Kubota owner. Just took delivery on my new rig, and noticed I had some trouble curling the bucket out full speed, and swinging left full speed. After removing the boots, I discovered the levers were hitting the housing, and were not at the end of their stroke. So my question is, can I reverse the levers..they look to be eccentric on the mounting plate? Don't really want to bring the tractor back to the dealer if it's an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
I just pulled the boots off of my new BH77, and my handles are more centered than your, and do not touch the metal cutout in any direction. Also my outriggers (or whatever they are called) are more centered in the slot then are yours. I think you should loosen the two bolts that hold on the cover, and shift the entire cover over.

The handles do not appear like they can swap side to side.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I would pull the 4 bolts and see what position I liked so it does not hit. As far as dealer I would not haul it back however save the before and get some after pictures to show them since they obviously did not try it. Sometimes you may get a little something out of them for fixing their goof up.The weather today and it is in a nice garage this may take a while!!!

Tunaslayer

Equipment
I got ya. Thanks for the help/pictures! I will try to sneak out for a while today and pull the cover. I am not experienced at all with a back hoe, and this was really throwing me off trying to learn. Hopefully it's an easy one.

fendley

Equipment
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
I got ya. Thanks for the help/pictures! I will try to sneak out for a while today and pull the cover. I am not experienced at all with a back hoe, and this was really throwing me off trying to learn. Hopefully it's an easy one.

I don't think you will have to pull the cover. Just loosen the bolts (one on each side) slide the cover the way that it needs to shift, and then re-tighten the bolts.

Tunaslayer

Equipment
Well, it is hitting on both levers on the outside edges of the cover. Cover off, and all is good. It looks like there an adjustment to the throw for the swing and curl valves. There are indexing marks on the linkage, but I am hesitant to mess with that without a call to my dealer. I think that would fix it if I reduced the throw to the outside. If you look at the picture, my sticks are tilted outboard in the stationary position. Really just want to make em stand up straight?

Last edited:

fendley

Equipment
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
My levers appear to be more vertical than yours; each of the levels go to two rods and one pivot. Is it possible to adjust the pivot so that it is shorter when would bring your rod closer to the center?

Tunaslayer

Equipment
So I looked for some kind of adjustment on the valve end of the linkage, and the heim joints. Everything looks solid with no adjustment. It is easy to see that it would not hit if I could get mine vertical. No signs of anything being bent or racked. May be time to spring for a shop manual; didn't think I would need one this early on. I might just go to my dealer and talk to the mechanic to see if he has a clue? Seems to me there should be some adjustment built in for user preference. If not, Kubota may be indexing their stuff wrong for the holes? At any rate, still love just having this to tinker with, and look forward to getting it set up nicey nice.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
It looks like the two long rods are shorter than they should be. If they were an inch or two longer it looks like it would plum your handles right up?

You would think the dealer would have test run everything before it was delivered...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tunaslayer

Equipment
So I shimmed the heim joint that holds the lever in place up with some washers, and it made it better, but it is still interfering with the the boot on. May just see if I can get a longer heim joint, and if not, a longer bolt and more washers. Just scared to have the tractor tied up at the dealer for weeks with a seeming obscure problem..gonna open up a dialog with them on Monday to see if it is an easy fix.

Last edited:

Tunaslayer

Equipment
Got a little bit of a response from my dealer, and presented them with all the same information here. They basically said the tractor and hoe would be in the shop for several weeks to a month. He was not willing to do the repair if I delivered just the backhoe. I plan on modifying it to work, and saving all the old parts, in the event they actually provide me with a real fix. I tried to get him to just send the info to Kubota to see if others were having a similar problem, and that was also shut down. I am not willing to be the test subject for this somewhat trivial issue, so off to McMaster to order some bits and pieces. I'll update with pics when I am done.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I would contact Kubota myself to see why you are having this problem. I would really like to get a BH for my L3901, but not if they are selling them without being set up right. It's not like it is a new design.

randu

Equipment
RTV 1100 B2650/FEL/BH
Dec 15, 2010
Alpena,MI
tunaslayer,
I have the BH 77 also on a B2650 and my levers don't come within a 1/2 inch of the edge plate. They also seem to be more in the center aligned with that top bolt ??
Randy

Attachments

Tunaslayer

Equipment
Thanks Randy, needed a sanity check...seems like a simple issue. I am considering sending the post to them so they can see the general opinion on an open forum. Ordered the parts last night, so for 10 bucks, I am fine with fixing it myself. I agree tho, it is not right that it even made it to my house like that, and I am somewhat disappointed that it took 3 weeks for delivery after payment, and it was not fully inspected. I would rather fix it myself to save some aggregation. I basically do contract negotiation as part of my job, and this is starting to feel very similar. As far as the BH77 being a bad piece, I would disagree. I think it is a nice backhoe, that pairs very well with the L series. It is not too big, and really has some serious digging and lifting power IMO. Just an oversight from someone in engineering or QC. I'll try to find a contact at Kubota Corporate, and give them a heads up.

Last edited:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Tunaslayer, I see in one of the pictures that the valves are mounted on a plate and the plate is bolted to the frame. Can you adjust the plate? If you move the plated/valves down that would center the outrigger levers and the two joy sticks.

Tunaslayer

Equipment
I looked at that. The whole stack would have to come up, but the bolt I pulled had no adjustment there either. The next problem if it did come up, would be the throw for pulling the dipper and boom. That would now be off center, and require shortening. I have a message to Kubota, so I'll see if they have any sort of response, but I am planning to shim the levers into position with longer bolts until then. I have 2 years to resolve this under warranty, so I don't think it makes sense to bring it back to the dealer. I really don't want to lose this for the next 3 weeks as burn season is starting, and I have some work lined up.

Tunaslayer

Equipment
Kubota responded; in short, they defer to my dealer for help, and have seen no other similar cases... kinda bummed I got the only one that is messed up.. must have been built on a Friday:)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well having put the ball in the dealer's court, it seems to me you are in a position to ask to schedule an appt to bring the tractor in when he can work on it over a day or two's time. Keeping it for 3 or 4 weeks is ridiculous. Kubota sends out a survey to see how satisfied customers are with a dealer's abiity to schedule appt's and so you can certainly leverage this issue. I can see someone not being able to drop everything else and do your tractor, but there is no reason for your tractor to sit there when you could be using it.