Portable jump starter advice

PenderBen

Equipment
B6200d, Bobcat 323j, T1600
Aug 31, 2012
Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Hello everyone.
I searched on this subject but didn't come across anything relevant.
I find the need for a portable jump starter fairly often (for various reasons), currently I left my B6200 out in the woods last week, it's been freezing and now the battery is too weak to start it.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I should be looking for in purchasing one? There are so many available now, including many compact lithium models, but does anyone have any personal experience for tractor applications?

I'm getting tired of hauling my spare battery and jumper cables around :)

Thanks for any advice.
Ben

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I have the standard lead acid type and several of the new tiny lithium ion battery packs. The small lithium battery has started my pickup truck several times with no problem (twice without recharging in between). I have read that the lithium packs do not perform well when cold though.
If you are storing the jumper battery in a warm area and walking it down to your tractor the small lithium pack will definitely start a tractor.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I read some reviews on some and some people are saying they didn't work on their diesel so check the reviews closely.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
While I like my JNCAir combination battery jumper/air compressor https://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-JNCAIR-1700-Amp-12-Volt-Compressor/dp/B000KPU8F2 that I put in the car for long trips, below is another option that may work well for you..

After getting tired of having to keep chargers on my old tractors to keep the batteries in good condition, I decided to convert them over to one removable battery that can be used in either tractor. I use a battery large enough to easily start the tractor but small enough to be easy to carry.

When the battery is not in use in a tractor, it is stored in a heated basement on a battery maintainer.

The tractor and the battery has large Andersen connectors suitable to carry starter current and make it quick and easy to connect and disconnect the battery.

So rather than carry a jumper battery, use a battery with connectors, that is kept stored in a warm area and kept in good condition with a battery maintainer.

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hello everyone.
I searched on this subject but didn't come across anything relevant.
I find the need for a portable jump starter fairly often (for various reasons), currently I left my B6200 out in the woods last week, it's been freezing and now the battery is too weak to start it.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I should be looking for in purchasing one? There are so many available now, including many compact lithium models, but does anyone have any personal experience for tractor applications?

I'm getting tired of hauling my spare battery and jumper cables around :)

Thanks for any advice.
Ben
PenderBen

If after a week not running a B6200 wont start, you need a new battery. If you keep doing what you are doing which is boosting it to get it started, you are also asking the charging system to deal with a low battery all the time thus forcing it to work harder than normal.

This comparison is not absolutely correct but if you go to Canadian Tire and buy a new alternator for your car the big caution in the box is to charge your battery before installing the new alternator because if you don't it can overheat from having to produce a high level output for a long time and damage its internals.

To get a charging system designed to output its full capacity all the time you have to move to large trucks and military vehicles.

A B6200 battery should be able to sit for weeks in the moderately cold weather and still start the tractor.

Have the battery load tested.

Alternatively, charge it fully and then remove the ground cable and let it sit for a couple of weeks. If it starts your tractor something is drawing on your battery when the tractor is off.

Dave M7040

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Yeah my jump box from Wally world won't start my tractor either. While agree you may have either a battery that needs replacing anyway..... or parasitic drain; since your planning to get one anyway, get one rated for a diesel. Needs higher amperage AND storage than average due to glow plug draw before drawing power for starter to spin a high compression engine.

PenderBen

Equipment
B6200d, Bobcat 323j, T1600
Aug 31, 2012
Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Hi all.
Thanks for the advice.
I'll try to find one 'for diesels', lithium model might work, I would store it indoors.
My current battery may be on its last leg, but this is the first time I wouldn't start it, and it's been abnormally cold (for where I am).
Dandeman, I like your setup, but don't think it would be quite right for me at this point, plus with a jump starter I can use it on cars/trucks/motorcycles.

Thanks again.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Invest in some Andersen plugs.

Connect one permanently to the new battery in your tractor.
Cut the end off a set of booster cables and connect an Anderson plug to them.

Now this will sound silly to start with but with an Anderson plug both ends are identical, but the design allows them to lock together to produce a very good contact between two cables.

The main advantage is they will take a large amperage. They can take 50 amps or 100 amps or more depending on the model.

Advantage when buying you don't have to look for the male and female version they are the same.

Now your new tractor battery can easily boost your car, motorcycle, your garden tractor.

You could even use it in reverse to boost your tractor in 5 or 6 years when its battery starts to go again.

Amazon.ca sells a wide variety. This link is for a #4 gauge wire, i.e. heavy duty for starting service.

https://www.amazon.ca/Install-Bay-S...484464398&sr=8-5&keywords=anderson+connectors

The blue connectors in Dandeman's post are Anderson connectors.

Dave M7040

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I bought one of these a year ago http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/Portable-Power-Pack_2.html
and it has been amazing. Started a diesel truck that had sat with a low battery all winter, the boys and I used it to start garden tractors all summer. Just yesterday my son used it to charge his cell phone with the USB port. I also have the old heavy battery style one and this one has a lot more power. Amazing little tool. Plus its light enough and small enough I can take it on the motorcycle.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
There are all kinds of booster packs, not a single one will perform well if your battery is weak. A small investment on the aforementioned plugs and t-bolts for the hold down will save you in the end,as it can be used elsewhere. Dont like to carry it? Build a small cart with big wheels.

My L1501 wouldnt start one cool morning and a boost wouldnt get it going either. New battery solved it. As a matter of fact,it started better than it has in a long time. Be mindful also,weak batteries will burn up a starter and alternator too.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Back when my 3800 would only "click" the starter because of the HST safety switch, I went to Costco and bought the biggest Interstate battery that would fit my tractor dimensions, increasing the CCA. I keep it on trickle all the time and that battery has never let me down. I agree, you are wasting $$ buying a jumper battery when your main battery is suspect.

A big warning on lithiums and cold: It doesn't take much exposure to cold for them to drop voltage. I have shock collars for my dogs so they can walk off leash. Its 40 out this morning and my transmitter reads fully charged. After walking around the block for 15 minutes this morning, when I get home, it will show half a charge. And that is holding the Tx in my gloved hand or inside my coat pocket. Tomorrow, it will show fully charged again.

A friend has a high-end drone powered by lithiums. He went out one cool morning (about 45F) and lifted off. With freshly charged batteries, he was only airborne for about three minutes and his drone flashed and urgent LOW BATT message before the motors quit and it tumbled down from a couple hundred feet. He normally gets close to 15 minutes out of a charge. And, with the high current usage, the batteries warm up under use. Still and all, his batteries failed in the mid 40's.

If you are talking about using lithiums in the 20's or below, even if brought from the house to a cold truck for the ride out, you will likely be disappointed in their performance.

Spend your $$ on a new battery and see if you can get one with higher CCA.

SDMauler

Equipment
2009 BX2360TV60, RCK60B-23BX
Aug 8, 2014
Parker, SD
I agree with the posts above. If the battery in your tractor is weak, replace it. If you still feel the need for a Jump starter, buy a good battery, preferably one you can add water to, put it in a battery box, and strap it to a two wheel dolly. Charge it with a good 3-step automatic battery charger, then put a battery tender on it. Once or twice a year, put a load on the battery with headlights, battery tester (the type that get hot) or something that draws around 20% of the battery's capacity in amp-hours, until the battery terminals read 12.0 volts, then recharge it at that same 20% rate of the amp-hour capacity. This little exercise will knock the sulfate off the plates, and make the battery last longer. The best way to kill a battery is to either leave it in a discharged state, or trickle-charge it to death without putting it through a discharge/charge cycle once in a while.