BX FEL ability

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
In my search for upgrading my machine, Im hitting a wall with dealers. I looked at a very nice B2400. AG tires and no mower. It felt more burly than the Deere 855 I drove the day before. Both 10,500. Deere dealer liked my ziploc bag of hundredsand would negotiate. Kubota dealer scoffed at my cash offer of 10,000.

It would appear my cash budget is limiting me to SCUT machines. I need a mmm, FEL and run my 4' hog. FEL ability being paramount, how effective or uneffective are the BX machines? I dont need to dig deep, but I need to scalp up to 6" in some spots in my clay and shale soil. I dont want an excavator, but Im not using a shovel either...

BX2200
Deere 2210
Massey GC2400
Yanmar SC2400 are all in my price point. If its bigger, and within price-point, its hammered feces....

Aggitated...

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
For some scalping of earth and no major digging, well "maybe". With my BX as compared to a larger blue tractor, it seems the tractor weight has more to do with how it works either with bucket or rear blade. If you are in no big hurry and going lighter also is OK for other work, well the BX.

One limit for smaller tractor is the working height limits of the bucket. If you load anything onto trucks, the BX is pretty limited.

I'd look at all other uses in deciding how to go. As to money spent, I have found used tractors as very appealing on the ratio of usability against cost.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
In my search for upgrading my machine, Im hitting a wall with dealers. I looked at a very nice B2400. AG tires and no mower. It felt more burly than the Deere 855 I drove the day before. Both 10,500. Deere dealer liked my ziploc bag of hundredsand would negotiate. Kubota dealer scoffed at my cash offer of 10,000.

It would appear my cash budget is limiting me to SCUT machines. I need a mmm, FEL and run my 4' hog. FEL ability being paramount, how effective or uneffective are the BX machines? I dont need to dig deep, but I need to scalp up to 6" in some spots in my clay and shale soil. I dont want an excavator, but Im not using a shovel either...

BX2200
Deere 2210
Massey GC2400
Yanmar SC2400 are all in my price point. If its bigger, and within price-point, its hammered feces....

Aggitated...
On the BX - you cannot change the working height of the bucket, but you can increase the pressure - I have found that my BX now has about 10% more power/force by increasing the working pressure a tad. You need more reach and force - might have to increase your budget a smidge!:)

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I would say your demand for a MMM is what is limiting you to a SCUT, not the cash.

With a $10K budget, you would be better served to buy an older L series, 4WD with larger loader, and a riding lawn mower. You'll get a lot more capability and versatility that way.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I would say your demand for a MMM is what is limiting you to a SCUT, not the cash.

With a $10K budget, you would be better served to buy an older L series, 4WD with larger loader, and a riding lawn mower. You'll get a lot more capability and versatility that way.
^^^ This!

I sure would not want a lawn mower size tractor, or a tractor size lawnmower. :cool:

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
But I do have to say, the little Botas are impressive for their size! Never been too impressed with the smaller JDs'...

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
^^^ This!

I sure would not want a lawn mower size tractor, or a tractor size lawnmower. :cool:
You would if you wanted a lawnmower sized tractor that can do 90% of the work of a larger tractor and didn't mind it being just a little slower. There's a reason it's the top selling tractor in America.

Next time you need to tap in some finish nails grab a sledgehammer and let me know how it works out for ya:cool: There's a tool for every need and bigger isn't better depending on that need.

To the OP, I graded down 6" - 12" over a 1/4 acre 2 years ago with my BX. Last year I moved and graded 300 yards of fill over 3/4 acre area. If I had a bigger tractor, it would have been done faster but I have also built retaining wall in a tight spot and fit into areas to remove snow that a L series simply wouldn't have fit. The machine can move any amount of material, just not alot at once. If you're OK with slow and steady there's very little it can't do.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
You would if you wanted a lawnmower sized tractor that can do 90% of the work of a larger tractor and didn't mind it being just a little slower. There's a reason it's the top selling tractor in America.

Next time you need to tap in some finish nails grab a sledgehammer and let me know how it works out for ya:cool: There's a tool for every need and bigger isn't better depending on that need.

Understood, but prefer to have a sledge hammer & a finish hammer. :cool:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York

I think thats exactly it. The mmm is pushing the cost up over budget. I dont have any tight spaces. 16 wide open acres. I need trees big time! Looking at a few more machines this weekend..

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Just for closure...

Jumped on a 260hr B7610 with mmm. Now I can start spending money on dirt since I can move it around now...

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Such a true statement. I've spent more money on dirt than I spent on a number of cars since I bought my BX.

What fun is a tonka toy with no sandbox?