Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"Now my other son will throw rocks before he uses a Glock"

Now that's funny.

Funny how tractors and guns people go hand and hand...........

GLocks .............shoot ok - rarely have faults, not real expensive......people love them-or like me hate them!.........kinda a like a naked JD tractor painted pink....might still work fine, but my gaud - one fkn ugly piece of metal.....

http://blog.machinefinder.com/6215/friday-fun-pink-tractors

me - shot a glock - other than the brass coming back in my face, the grip sucks , the sites are fair and the trigger....well - the trigger....that too is one of the biggies - it too sucks - I too would rather throw rocks!

If I had to be "equipped" with a gun and it HAD to be a glock - i would learn to shoot it well.....

but BECAUSE I dont have too.........

I 'll shoot the rugers sr series, everything about it is better than the glock.........
or
IF I really wanted to hit everything will the best grip and trigger.........

walther ppq is a kubota on steroids......like this :

http://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/kubota-builds-its-biggest-tractor-yet-photos.htm

then again - that IS the beauty of the whole world - some have their ugly ass green machines and plain naked glocks............

and I have orange and pleasing to the eye!!! and can shoot the eyes out of .........well we wont go there!:D:)

Attachments

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm with you. I don't care for the look or feel of the Glocks I've shot. But I love my Ruger SR! Other than that one exception, I'm a wheel gun guy, also Ruger. My favorites are the 6" GP100 when I can wear a shoulder holster, and a 2" SP101 when I can't, both in 357 mag.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
The best firearm is the one that you have in your hand, that is in proper working order, when the time comes that you NEED one for protection!

Long story short.
A coworker of mine would only carry a S&W and absolutely hated Colts, would rather die than touch one. The occasion arose that his S&W was taken from him:eek: and he was about to be shot with it - his own weapon. There was a Colt on a table that he was able to get at and shoot the other person. He never never complained about Colt's again!:cool:

That was in 1981 - 100% true story. :)

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Guns and tractors...good combo. Even worn one on jobs in questionable locations. Somehow I've ended up with all S&W's and a High Standard in my collection of handguns.

Love my wheel guns too BadDog. 2 S&W .357 mags (L and N frames) also a 469 9mm Smith. My dad wore the N frame "Highway Patrolman" back in the 60's. The High Standard is a fun gun; match auto in .22.

olthumpa, your are so right, the best one is the one you can shoot accurately and the one that's available.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
85Hokie, I'm with ya, the Glocks ain't too purty! Did shoot the baby Glock (9mm) and liked it for concealment, but didn't care for the trigger.

Somebody must love em, you see more of them than stinkbugs!:D

and I agree, a working ugly tractor/gun is far better than none!:)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Glocks: One of the driving design aims of the Glock was to minimize "snagging" when handling the weapon around clothes. 1911's and other firearms have a lot of "sharp corners" that can snag or grab on clothing during deployment. The Glock has nearly all corners rounded and the stock sights are short, minimizing resistance in deployment. These features don't lead to a "pretty" firearm but to me, form follows function: If it works reliably in the heat of battle, it's gorgeous to me. Glocks have a very high following largely due to that reliability.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
olthumpa, your are so right, the best one is the one you can shoot accurately and the one that's available.
Very true. Funny story. When I took my CCW years ago, the last part was the practical test at the range. Everyone had to bring their own gun, and there were maybe 4 classes there, over 30 people. Started out setting around as the instructors came around for the final stuff, checking weapons, what not. I had my 6" GP 100, and almost everyone there had semis. Seriously, I think there were less than 5 wheel guns in that crowd, and several were women with snub 38s for their purse. You should have heard the comments about how many rounds they had, spare clips, you would have thought some of these guys were going to be doing CQB in Takrit. And even the girls/women commented on my (and the few others) obsolete (in various words, "old timey" etc) handguns.

That ended real quick at the line. I've been shooting handguns for over 40 years, including a few thousand rounds in "informal competition", and that includes at least 500 through that GP 100. Out of all those shooting that night, I was the only one with perfect scores on both the short and long (so they called) range 5 round rapid fire (well, 5 in 5 seconds IIRC) targets. Instructors held mine up as best of the night, shot the centers out of both sheets. Me and my "old timey" 6 shooter. And to make it better, a significant portion of the mouthy crowd forgot their safeties, experienced FTF or FTE issues, a few even had trouble figuring out how to chamber a round (which produced some of the FTFs) and needed help. Makes me a bit nervous that almost everyone got their CCW that night...

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
As a CCW instructor, you just want to make sure the students are safe to continue to practice on their own. Without practice, you'll never attain the skill set. And, you want to give them the basics on what process they need to follow to hold, sight, and shoot their weapons. You'll never fill in all the blanks in one day. A detailed class could run four days with class and range time each day.

Problem is, fully half of my students don't revisit a range in the following 12 mos. Those who do become confident and capable shooters, especially the women who thought they wouldn't like shooting until they tried it and now find the hobby both empowering and fun. Guys let their egos get in the way a lot. Most though come with decent skill sets and do just fine.

Couple of my ladies from a year back were in the audience at a candidates debate forum I was moderating. They both smiled at me an made "finger guns" for a second. They go shoot regularly together. And they are almost always armed. Good for them.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
Very true. Funny story. When I took my CCW years ago, the last part was the practical test at the range. Everyone had to bring their own gun, and there were maybe 4 classes there, over 30 people. Started out setting around as the instructors came around for the final stuff, checking weapons, what not. I had my 6" GP 100, and almost everyone there had semis. Seriously, I think there were less than 5 wheel guns in that crowd, and several were women with snub 38s for their purse. You should have heard the comments about how many rounds they had, spare clips, you would have thought some of these guys were going to be doing CQB in Takrit. And even the girls/women commented on my (and the few others) obsolete (in various words, "old timey" etc) handguns.

That ended real quick at the line. I've been shooting handguns for over 40 years, including a few thousand rounds in "informal competition", and that includes at least 500 through that GP 100. Out of all those shooting that night, I was the only one with perfect scores on both the short and long (so they called) range 5 round rapid fire (well, 5 in 5 seconds IIRC) targets. Instructors held mine up as best of the night, shot the centers out of both sheets. Me and my "old timey" 6 shooter. And to make it better, a significant portion of the mouthy crowd forgot their safeties, experienced FTF or FTE issues, a few even had trouble figuring out how to chamber a round (which produced some of the FTFs) and needed help. Makes me a bit nervous that almost everyone got their CCW that night...

This is precisely why I love my springfield XDM 9MM...even though I bought it before the gun mags started singing their praises. I also run a viridian tac/laser as well....nice to be able to see where it's aimed without sights.

but the point was I like that the safeties involved are put the gun in your hand and pull the trigger. I love our wheel guns for simplicity, but in a true combat situation, I do love having lots of rounds before a reload. I always keep my XD with a full mag and one in the pipe and 2 spare mags (19 rounds each) I spent many years in Iraq (Tikrit was mentioned earlier....I thought it was a nice place) we were involved in a few firefights and I learned that there is no such thing as too much ammo.

Guns and Tractors.....this is my new favorite forum. :)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Revolvers/semi-autos, I'm just as comfortable with one as the other. Years ago, I deer hunted with a Ruger Super Black Hawk and for many years my duty weapons were a S&W 66 with 2 1/2 inch barrel and/or 2 inch Model 60.

When we were allowed to transition to Glocks if we wanted to, better than half the line had problems the first few sessions. My "Range Buddy" experienced a LOT of trouble and like pretty much everyone else with problems she was "limp wristing" her gun. Once everyone had enough rounds through and gotten a little coaching there were no more problems and almost everyone who went to the semi-auto shot better scores than with their revolver. Mine didn't change, but I'm lucky enough to have a range in my back yard and reload.

I have a Glock 23 with tactical light in a lock box beside my bed and an identical one in my vehicle, but when I have a gun on me it's most likely a S&W revolver; like both kinds.

My son was a firearms instructor for a lot of years teaching civilian, law enforcement and military and some of his experience was similar to that described by Bad Dog and some of the really scary stuff happened with people who carried a gun for a living.

I recently got my carry permit......I do not have any intention of "carrying" it .....I got that permit cause it was "cheap" ($40.48 - five years) and because I wanted to be able to "transport" by guns from my house to the local range IN A concealed BAG ----- Just in case a wise apple cop pulls me over and says that the bags in the front seat have CONCEALED guns in them.

Limp wristing is a huge problem with newbies!

The great thing about revolvers.....never jamb - never need to pick up the brass......but limited in on rounds......then again - if you have to shoot more than about 6 rounds......you need to go back to the RANGE!!!:D:)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Interesting how mentioning a Glock causes a huge rabbit-chase...
Then again, the gear vs. hydro thing has been hashed some many times, it's nice to talk about something else. Anybody into AR's? I just got my first one recently.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
We are lucky in Missouri as a loaded gun can be carried concealed in a vehicle if you are over 21 and legally able to own it.

Studies in New York show a hit probability of 34% by the police. There are also a couple of incidents in which officers sure could of used more rounds, the Newhall Massacre and Miami shootout.

It will probably never happen to us, but worth considering.

Having said that, since I retired, I don't carry any extra ammo and my usual carry gun is a five shot.

The Miami incident created the 40 cal.....and all police (most anyway) now carry the 40 cal. Nice round too - little slower than the 9mm - same size as a 10mm (little less punch in the powder) not quite the knock down of the 45 acp but a good middle ground round.

It is almost scary how easy it is to get a permit here in VA - ANY of you can get a permit THAT dont live IN VA - through Virginia !!!! No finger prints....they do a background check.....

take a 17 minute video that is almost useless........( 20 bucks) and then mail it in - 3 weeks later .....you get you permit! $40.48 .....the .48 is to cover the stamp!!!:)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The Miami incident created the 40 cal.....and all police (most anyway) now carry the 40 cal. Nice round too - little slower than the 9mm - same size as a 10mm (little less punch in the powder) not quite the knock down of the 45 acp but a good middle ground round.

It is almost scary how easy it is to get a permit here in VA - ANY of you can get a permit THAT dont live IN VA - through Virginia !!!! No finger prints....they do a background check.....

take a 17 minute video that is almost useless........( 20 bucks) and then mail it in - 3 weeks later .....you get you permit! $40.48 .....the .48 is to cover the stamp!!!:)
I took the online class so that I could go ahead and apply for my concealed permit, then I took a local course.
In general, I don't have a problem with VA being an easy state to get a permit in. The public has proven that they are responsible, and not just "shooting it up like the old west", like the anti-gunners proclaim.
Saying that, it is always a good idea to get as much training as you can. If you can't afford the classes, go to the range with a buddy who is experienced, maybe even law enforcement or military, and learn from them.

I believe that the Virginia State Police carry Sig 229's in 357Sig. I know that they did.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I took the online class so that I could go ahead and apply for my concealed permit, then I took a local course.
In general, I don't have a problem with VA being an easy state to get a permit in. The public has proven that they are responsible, and not just "shooting it up like the old west", like the anti-gunners proclaim.
Saying that, it is always a good idea to get as much training as you can. If you can't afford the classes, go to the range with a buddy who is experienced, maybe even law enforcement or military, and learn from them.

I believe that the Virginia State Police carry Sig 229's in 357Sig. I know that they did.
I agree - I look forward to taking so "real" classes in the near future. That Sig is a great shooter too. :)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Sorry, I only have 2 pistols...

One by IMI, the other a clone of a Remington New Army.

I am chomping at the bit to get out of this State and get a PMR-30 as my CCW.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
From about post #23 this thread has been hijacked. Why don't the guns and ammo discussion start another thread? Be fair to the original poster.