Sugarin'

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Finally in the northeast we got some temps over 40. :)

I do just enough for the house and for some trading. 4 or 5 gallons. Takes about 200 gallons of sap to get 5 gallons of maple syrup.:p

Made 3 quarts of light stuff other day - normally done by now.:confused:

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
looks sooooo good... nothing like pure fresh syrup is it medium amber?
I'm guessing light amber, but not sure. I grade by my tastebuds! :D

I'm low-tech and very inefficient the way I make it, but really enjoy doing some. Raised around it, and am a forester by education.

Really, I like the darker stuff better. Has better maple flavor.:p

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Really, I like the darker stuff better. Has better maple flavor.:p

I agree with that 100 percent. A few folks think I'm nuts when I call up to order more syrup and will clean them out of the "b" grade :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Love the fresh stuff, I'm not too picky on the grades, I like them all. It seems like winter is never going to end here, it's been still spitting snow the last few days. I was out on the south coast today near the ocean and it was snowing too! Still have a good foot or more on the ground here, 2' up on the mountains.

OnE of my nephews learning the ropes. Nice old man taps the trees in my bro's yard and teaches the boys the process, they love it! Always going out and checking the lines and tanks. At the end he gives us some syrup and gives the boys their own "polish gallon" (the little mini jugs) :p they think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread. super nice guy!

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Nice - but why is he tapping an ash?? :eek: Just kidding!!

It's great they have someone to show them....its something I hope they retain. I remember dumping buckets for my anciently old neighbors for years with a gathering tank behind a D-17.

You can NEVER forget the smell of a sugarhouse boiling, and the sweet smell coming off those pans!!:)

That's probably part of the reason I make syrup today...:)

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I can't wait to show my daughter the process. she's less than a year old, so I have a little bit to go, but it'll happen.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forum Fiend v1.3.2.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
They love it so I think it's something they will continue doing. Some day I'll build them their own shack on our property. We hope he's around for a very long time so they can learn everything he knows. Some consider it liquid gold, and for what it costs I can see why they call it that!

I recall watching shark tank where they were pitching a natural energy drink that was just straight sap.... Never tried it myself, but it must taste better than that sugar crack in a can the kids drink these days!

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
What does it take to boil down 200 gallons? We live in the Jack Pines and have about a dozen maple trees of which five are marginally large enough to tap, maybe 30 gallons of sap total. Oh well its time outside, producing our own syrup from our own trees. Plus the grandkids have decided our syrup is better than anything in the store, inherited good tastes’ I guess. Not sure we will get to 30 gallons of sap this year as the temperatures have been erratic. One week it never gets above freezing during the day the next week it never gets below freezing at night.

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Thanks for sharing that with us!

We have Maples here but not those Maples. Great to see the generations working together for such a great result. I have been to Quebec and the Maritimes in Canada and enjoyed the rewards of the labour.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
at my parents house we just tapped the red maples. that's all we had. needed slot more sap, but it was still good. not that clear super fancy stuff, but some good ol' smokey flavored syrup. to be honest, I think I like that stuff better than the clear stuff.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forum Fiend v1.3.2.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Any maple will produce sap that can be made into syrup - even the Norway's common in cities/villages. Some just have more sugar content and different flavors.

For me, it takes A LOT of propane to boil down sap to syrup. My setup is not very efficient, but it does make syrup. I'm guessing I run about a half-pound per gallon of sap - so a gallon of syrup probably takes 20 lbs + of propane. And you wonder why its expensive???:eek: