Kubota Generator Oil Leak

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
I bought my Kubota generator at the same time I bought my tractor, an L5030 back in 2005.

The generator has few hours, it is for back up only and mostly only runs 4 times a year when I exercise it for an hour.

I was very annoyed to find an oil leak after the last run....puddle of oil under it and it appears to be coming from the fuel injector pump where it bolts to the crankcase....I assume it's a gear driven pump.

My dealer is trying to help.....says they don't work on the generators and don't have much info.....good grief! but he is trying to get a manual for me so I can have parts info before I disassemble and replace gaskets....or what ever.

This is a GL-6500S Low Boy with a two cylinder ZB600-GL-S diesel engine.

Does anyone have one or a similar machine? Hard to believe an oil leak on a like new machine....bought new in '05 and has run less than 100 hours.

I sure would appreciate any comments or tips on pulling that fuel pump off, which will be after removing the coolant recovery tank and battery just to make enough room to get to it.

Joe Kelly

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
I bought my Kubota generator at the same time I bought my tractor, an L5030 back in 2005.

The generator has few hours, it is for back up only and mostly only runs 4 times a year when I exercise it for an hour.

I was very annoyed to find an oil leak after the last run....puddle of oil under it and it appears to be coming from the fuel injector pump where it bolts to the crankcase....I assume it's a gear driven pump.

My dealer is trying to help.....says they don't work on the generators and don't have much info.....good grief! but he is trying to get a manual for me so I can have parts info before I disassemble and replace gaskets....or what ever.

This is a GL-6500S Low Boy with a two cylinder ZB600-GL-S diesel engine.

Does anyone have one or a similar machine? Hard to believe an oil leak on a like new machine....bought new in '05 and has run less than 100 hours.

I sure would appreciate any comments or tips on pulling that fuel pump off, which will be after removing the coolant recovery tank and battery just to make enough room to get to it.

Joe Kelly
I have the same machine in my barn which I use for standby power.I have a WSM for it which I will have a look for.
dave

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Thank you, Dave!

How has your experience with the 6500 been? I've had no complaints at all until this damn oil leak! It has started in the dead of winter with the glo plug ignition.....might take two cycles of pre-heat and crank but it always starts.

And the power supply is good and steady.....nice generator.....until finding the puddle of dark oil under it....:mad:

If you can find your manual, and I'm still waiting for my dealer to come up with one, I sure would appreciate it if you could copy the page or pages that deal with the fuel pump attachment to crankcase....I'd be very happy to pay your costs to copy and mail!

JoeK

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Mine has done 440 hours and always done the job asked of it.

The square plate on the side of the pump which has the engine type on has the oil pump behind it .Below that and a little further back,mine has a tiny seep of oil which is not enough to cause a drip.
You have a PM
Dave

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
I want to thank Dave on the forum for sending me pages from his service manual....scanned and emailed to me....oh, my, technology is fantastic!

This forum has been most helpful with my tractor questions but my latest issue, the oil leak with the generator has been helped a whole lot, thanks to Dave!

Now that I know what is waiting there if I pull the pump off, I am not sure I have the expertise to do that. I've no automotive experience and no diesel experience and the manual references shims to adjust the injector pump.

Has anyone attempted to remove and replace the injector pump on that ZB600 diesel? I also did not see any sign of a gasket in the pictures or description in the manual.....that was my first thought with the discovery of a leak....simply a failed gasket and (I thought) a simple job of getting the right gasket and unbolt and replace and be good to go.....

JoeK