Front transmission filler port? B7000

150baker

Equipment
bucket and back blade
Jan 15, 2011
Centerville WA
I could not figure out how to up load picture. So I will try to descibe what I am looking at.
The drive shaft that feeds the front end comes down into a rubber boot.
This boot is attached to a small type pan that has a bolt sticking out ( aprox 5/16) I am assuming for checking oil/gear oil levels. Is this a fill port? Does this need fluid?
Any help appreciated.

150baker

Equipment
bucket and back blade
Jan 15, 2011
Centerville WA
It is a real pain to try and fill.
I will try and fill with 80/90w.
I would have assumed others would have dealt with this fitting/configuration.
Maybe I will hear later.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
As I understand it, there are 3 sets of plugs up front - each wheel and the front diff. Each should have 2 plugs, one at the bottom is a drain plug, one about half way up is the fill and check level plug.
To fill these I use a 60 ml syringe (from a vet or medical supply store) and a short length of clear plastic tubing fitted over the end of the syringe.

I'll check the service manuals in the morning.

150baker

Equipment
bucket and back blade
Jan 15, 2011
Centerville WA
I know about the three up front but this one I find nothing on.
The maual is silent, yet it has the u joint for the front wheel drive under the cover.

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
150baker, I don't believe it is a fill hole, certainly not for the front differential. The front differential drain and fill hole are up on the front right side of the "pumpkin". I have had that cover off (the one you are showing in the picture) when I worked on my son's B6100. I had to remove it to pull the u-joint and drive shaft to fix the bushing on the upper end of the tube protecting the drive shaft. That cover seems to catch any leakage through the rear seal of the front differential. My son's had very little oil in it. The reason I don't think you add any oil to it is I was doing all of the maintenance called for in the manual for the B6100 and it didn't call out any maintenance on that part of the front end, just the other 3 reservoirs as mentioned by Stuart. I have to admit, though, when I was working on it, it seemed funny that it had a drain and fill hole, but there are no gaskets that I remember to seal it to the front differential. Maybe others can add to this. Here is what it looks like if you pull it off:

150baker

Equipment
bucket and back blade
Jan 15, 2011
Centerville WA
Great pictures and nice shop. Hope some day to have a shop with the floor that clean.
I will not fill with oil at this time. It is confusing that they would provide a bolt to remove as the other three lube holes on the front.
Is the u joint a sealed bearing that requires no mainteince?

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Yes, they were sealed bearings. Maybe Vic will come in here and put this question to rest!! You have me curious now. I don't know why this universal would be any different than the steering ones and they run in oil.

John

JosephGozo

Equipment
Kubota B7001 + an ever growing list of attachments (restored / homemade) :(
Nov 25, 2014
Malta
when i checked the housing on my b7001, 3 years ago it looked like it was packed with grease