Finally Got It Done, BX2380 50 Hr Service!

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
This was the weekend, clicked 50 hrs. doing some yard maintenance. Already had all the stuff in anticipation. 5 gallons of SUDT2, 1 gallon Kubota 15w-40 (recommended by dealer over 10w-30), Kubota engine oil filter, Kubota hydro filter. Happy to report everything went well. No weird issues....even the hydro screen was very clean, just a few little specs of RTV gasket material. Overall, very happy with the serviceability of the BX, everything is pretty easy to access. Also seems like the hydro whine is just a bit less now also. It's really a good way to "get to know" your tractor a little better, and I'm happy with everything I touched. Ready to get back to work! :)

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
So you changed the hydro fluid even though it's not called for?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That topic is an old one too !

Older manuals had you change it at 50 hours, newer ones at 200 hours......
I think with the advent of "newer" mo better oils .....they realized it can go longer.

Despite the cost of the fluid, which S-UDT2 is rather $$$$ - I bet the machine will whine less!

The real question is - what did the DEALER place in it ? IF S-UDT2, then perhaps it is a waste, if UDT then not. And the sad things is, some dealers dont know, it simply comes out of the big ol barrel out back!!!!:eek:;)

I changed my fluid somewhere around 100+ hours to S-UDT2 .....made a hellva difference....at least she whines less! The tractor that is........:D

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
That topic is an old one too !

Older manuals had you change it at 50 hours, newer ones at 200 hours......
I think with the advent of "newer" mo better oils .....they realized it can go longer.

Despite the cost of the fluid, which S-UDT2 is rather $$$$ - I bet the machine will whine less!

The real question is - what did the DEALER place in it ? IF S-UDT2, then perhaps it is a waste, if UDT then not. And the sad things is, some dealers dont know, it simply comes out of the big ol barrel out back!!!!:eek:;)

I changed my fluid somewhere around 100+ hours to S-UDT2 .....made a hellva difference....at least she whines less! The tractor that is........:D
Are you saying they ship the tractors dry to the dealer?

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Mine recommended that the hydraulic filter be changed fairly quickly. The fluid could remain.
Seems the OP has completed the job and so no harm done other than perhaps a few dollars spent sooner than later.

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Actually, my owners manual (2017 BX2380) does indeed specifically state to change the oil, filter, and clean the screen; with regard to the hydro.

Based on looks & feel, old oil appeared to also be SUDT2.

Now it's just expensive fire-starter fluid...:D

shiraz627

Equipment
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Actually, my owners manual (2017 BX2380) does indeed specifically state to change the oil, filter, and clean the screen; with regard to the hydro.

Based on looks & feel, old oil appeared to also be SUDT2.

Now it's just expensive fire-starter fluid...:D
The manual on my 2018 BX23S says to just change the filter @ 50 hours and not change the hydro fluid or clean the screen until 400 hours. I'm wondering who fills the transmission with fluid: the factory or the dealer?

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
The manual on my 2018 BX23S says to just change the filter @ 50 hours and not change the hydro fluid or clean the screen until 400 hours. I'm wondering who fills the transmission with fluid: the factory or the dealer?
Interesting...a BX23S is basically a BX2380 with a backhoe. I wonder why the discrepancy from Kubota?

I would assume the hydro is filled in Texas where they are built. How else would they move the thing around? Again, only my guess. I would also guess all the new 80 series BX's come factory filled with SUDT2.

Perhaps Messick's will weigh in on these questions.

BossJustin

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 12, 2018
Avenue, MD
It was my understanding the dealer fills all fluids. They are shiped in large wood/ metal crates in pieces. When I went through all the paperwork in the folder after dealer dropped mine off, there was a manual with very specific instructions and pictures showing uncrating and assembly of the tractor. I would assume these are factory instructions intended for the dealer, part of the instructions was proper fluid levels.

shiraz627

Equipment
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
It was my understanding the dealer fills all fluids. They are shiped in large wood/ metal crates in pieces. When I went through all the paperwork in the folder after dealer dropped mine off, there was a manual with very specific instructions and pictures showing uncrating and assembly of the tractor. I would assume these are factory instructions intended for the dealer, part of the instructions was proper fluid levels.
I remember seeing that paperwork. My concern is that you don't know what they put in for fluids? Do they put in SUDT in the hydro?

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I think I'll call my dealer, get his take.

This all just seems kinda weird...

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
OK, here's the skinny....talked with my local dealer (big, established KB dealer in OH), he said the BX's are indeed made in Georgia (US HQ in Texas), along with various other models. The BX's are received from the factory complete with fluids, tires, etc.. in a crate. All the dealer installs is the ROPS, steering wheel, and any attachments like FEL, mid-mower, etc.. Then they perform a thorough inspection/check prior to sale. He also indicated KB would be phasing out regular UDT completely, and all the 80 series BX's are factory filled & shipped with SUDT2.

Will have to try and work with KB directly to explain the different maintenance schedule for the 23S vs 2380. But, at least the other questions are now answered.

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Not having much luck getting the 23S/2380 maintenance question answered. KB corp did send me a reply, buy completely didn't answer the question, just referred me to my local dealer.....like they are the ones who write the owners manuals! Also reached out to Messick's, but have not heard anything back from them. Seems this is a subject no one wants to touch.

I'll keep digging.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Wow, I just had the screen out of my BX2370 yesterday for the first time, and it was spotless. I wouldn,t of been very happy to see a mess like that on mine.
Where would all of that stuff come from ?
I just ordered 4 bottles of the MT 3668 red John Deere dye to add to my hydralic fluid from Green Farm Parts.
Very nice folks to deal with on the phone, and got the stuff at a great price, which was 6.13 per bottle, with 4 bucks for shipping.

Last edited:

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
Wow, I just had the screen out of my BX2370 yesterday for the first time, and it was spotless. I wouldn,t of been very happy to see a mess like that on mine.
Where would all of that stuff come from ?
I just ordered 4 bottles of the MT 3668 red John Deere dye to add to my hydralic fluid from Green Farm Parts.
Very nice folks to deal with on the phone, and got the stuff at a great price, which was 6.13 per bottle, with 4 bucks for shipping.
See this thread:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36451&highlight=gasket+material

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Check out my transmission screen. Lots of gasket material!
Yikes! Sure glad mine didn't look like that! Just a few little specs on mine.

That much debris has to restrict hydro flow somewhat, I would think...