Log Splitter

Grapegrower

Oct 21, 2018
Texas Hill Country
I was going to make a homemade log splitter. I was going to use a 4 1/2x24” Hydraulic cylinder. Can I run that off of my back hoe hydraulic ports on the back of my Grand L 4760? I’ve also got rear remote attachment on the back as well. What ports would you run it from? The cylinder is rated for 3500psi. Not sure what my tractor rated for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Personally, I wouldn’t use the tractor. Stand alone log splitters push out more gpm and frees up the tractor for other uses, not to mention keeping the operating hours low.

Ironman2

Equipment
L185 or L1501, tiller, brush mower
Aug 28, 2018
Warburg, AB, Canada
I have done that, but used a PTO pump.
It is a homebuilt unit that had a engine failure and was given to me basically as scrap.
The pump is a 3.4 cu in pump and I run the pto in a higher gear and the engine just above a fast idle. We broke up all our winter firewood in a very short time. I like it as it can move around to wherever I have trees down and stored.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Agree with the stand alone splitter too. When I was looking for mine I looked at a 3 pt mounted one, read so many reviews about how slow they were. The 3 pt was about half the cost of the stand alone, but I also was only looking at Honda powered stand alone units, at the time I was borrowing a friends splitter with a Kohler engine and I spent more time putting all the nuts and bolts back in it from it shaking itself to death. The Honda is so much smoother running and quieter. I use the tractor to tow the splitter to the site then unhook and put the bucket right next to the splitter, throw the wood from the splitter to the bucket. When the loader full i run it to the wood pile and it gives the splitter a little bit to cool off in between loads.

Treckerzeug

Equipment
Carraro tgf 7800 taijfun 4,5 t winch, trailer with crane, double bl saw
Apr 17, 2015
Bavaria South Germany
I was going to make a homemade log splitter. I was going to use a 4 1/2x24***8221; Hydraulic cylinder. Can I run that off of my back hoe hydraulic ports on the back of my Grand L 4760? I***8217;ve also got rear remote attachment on the back as well. What ports would you run it from? The cylinder is rated for 3500psi. Not sure what my tractor rated for

Hello,

Sure you can do it that way,

3500 psi should be=241.31651 Bar

Your tractor should be around 179-180 bar, so you d get less force out of the cylinder,

The force might be calculated with this formula
Pi x rad x rad x pressure in bar would give metric ton of splitting force

Only thing it would be good to have an extra double acting spool valve
On the splitter,

Over here you ll get a new one for 80 euros
From this it would be better to have the return line directly into the oil sump of the tractor, not passing through the spools to have less counter pressure as then you would heat up the oil less.

I did it that way for quite some time, also with a little more revs then idle on a french built vinyard fergie 25.

The hydr. Cylinder has a diameter of 90 mm and a stroke of 900 mm
It worked fast enough to get things done quickly

Splitting force is around 9 t which is mostly sufficient

Regards

Robert

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
long discussion on this topic already in here. Consensus then also was..... "get a stand alone". A search should find the thread.

Last edited:

techcrewkevin

Equipment
Kubota - my fathers, not mine. Always looking for ways to help improve it.
Feb 16, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I was going to make a homemade log splitter. I was going to use a 4 1/2x24” Hydraulic cylinder. Can I run that off of my back hoe hydraulic ports on the back of my Grand L 4760? I’ve also got rear remote attachment on the back as well. What ports would you run it from? The cylinder is rated for 3500psi. Not sure what my tractor rated for.

If you decide to build a stand alone I have a set of plans for one that uses a 4" x24" cylinder... I bought the plans back in 2010 and have had the PDF since then. I found it again and the website I bought the plans from doesn't exist anymore. PM me if you decide to build a stand alone.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Here is a picture of a splitter I built a few years ago. I use the pto pump from my backhoe. Works great! Love the ability to easily travel to the work site. I guess if I ever sell it, it will have to be a package deal :)

Attachments

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I've been around this kind of project several times before.
The thing that I can see is you have to work backwards at first then forward again. To explain..

The cylinder is rated for a specific max pressure. To make the cylinder cycle at a desired speed and rated pressure it will require a specific gallon per minute of oil flow. Then you move forward to what gallon per minute is available from your tractor system. If it matches, good, go for it.

Usually most compact tractors don't have the gpm for the splitter. An option is to use a oil reservoir and a pto driven pump. Again a pto pump to provide the pressure and gpm will require a specific pto horsepower. That is likely more available on a compact tractor than a useful gpm value.

My 5 cents of experience.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Coach is correct, this subject is constantly repeated. My preference is the PTO pump, mine is 14 gpm @2100 psi. Doubt a stand alone unit can match.

Fortunate to have multiple tractors so it can remain mounted all through the fall. As for speed, good way to sever a finger. Summer too hot for woods work.

I operate just above an idle, output psi is constant but gpm is reduced. Tractor is the 50 hp gross IH.

It is vertical I-beam style so no lifting. Cylinder is 5 inch, rod is 2-1/2" .

Very rare that is won't split what is place in the blade path.

Few splitters have hydraulic cooling, so attention to ambient oil temp is important !! Automatic return is a nice feature which I do NOT have.

A pressure gauge and a Pressure Relief Valve are essential for a self designed unit. The directional control valve gpm rating should match that of the pump output.

Huskerfan

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HSTC, Grasshopper 725Dt
May 24, 2016
Iowa
Look at the Northstar spltters from Northern Tool. They are often on sale. They have easy starting Honda engines. The 37 ton splits 24 inch oak rounds without stalling. Splits vertically if needed, to save your back. Well built. Easy to tow.

Last edited:

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Hope you take time to vote next week.

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
I was debating on getting a PTO driven splitter, but decided against it. Bought an Ariens 27 Ton splitter, and love it.