Kubota L4150 white smoke, no start

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Alex - I know I speak for many of the
"50-Yr. apprentices" here when I say it gives us no pleasure to see somebody get stung buying heavily worn orange machinery. Kubota is known for very well made products that last a long time. Unfortunately good machines can fall into bad hands and need a lot to bring back. Lets hope the other systems are still good. A fully functioning L4150 is a lot of tractor, comparable to today's $55k offerings. Stay positive - we're pulling for you. Dick B

AlexS

Equipment
L4150
Oct 16, 2018
Goldendale, WA USA
Alex - I know I speak for many of the
"50-Yr. apprentices" here when I say it gives us no pleasure to see somebody get stung buying heavily worn orange machinery. Kubota is known for very well made products that last a long time. Unfortunately good machines can fall into bad hands and need a lot to bring back. Lets hope the other systems are still good. A fully functioning L4150 is a lot of tractor, comparable to today's $55k offerings. Stay positive - we're pulling for you. Dick B
I appreciate that. Just waiting to here back from Kubota on pistons and/or company I bought the motor from that has my core. I am wishing now I would have just rebuilt.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
After being on this site for a short time, it seems like u guys like to re-build these engines..??
In the world I came from, 30 years in a fuel shop that had an engine rebuild shop.. the engine always came out "to expensive" to rebuild.. & the best way to get 1 out the door w/ a warranty that would hold up, was to buy an exchange engine..
I can honestly say in all my years, I've never seen a Kubota get rebuilt.. always torn down for an estimate & exchanged..
For what its worth>> theres a co in NC called Engine Power Source= EPS that had all our business.. Weather Kubota parts or complete engines.. Good luck w/ yours.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Alex, in your post #39 you said they were going to help and then just offered a discount. I hate to see people get taken advantage of and I hate it when the other party won't stand for some of their misrepresentations.

If I had paid with a CC I be doing a charge back with them. Give the CC company all the facts and pictures and let them deal with the co. you bought it from. To charge a premium price for an engine and get scrap iron is wrong, I don't care how they described it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
After being on this site for a short time, it seems like u guys like to re-build these engines..??
Most of these Ag motors are very rare and no one has on hand.
I'm on the tail end of a D850 rebuild and no one I know about, either rebuilds this model or has one in stock.
With all new Kubota parts I'm into it for about $1000, I did get lucky in not having to do the liners as that drives the cost up another $1000 alone and the head is good so that saves me money too.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
I guess it was a "management" thing?? either to costly or the parts weren't available fast enough for the customers liking?? so it was better left to the folks that had the parts or engine.. EPS..
I'll BET I've seen over 100 engines get "exchanged".. & it wasn't like we didn't have the personnel to rebuild it..
They became "throw away's" as we called them.. {exchange units}

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They became "throw away's" as we called them.. {exchange units}
This is another thing that drives the need to rebuild what you have, is so many of these older model motors have been just tossed in the bin, and there are no good cores.

AlexS

Equipment
L4150
Oct 16, 2018
Goldendale, WA USA
I was able to get the company to send me back 4 good pistons. Now at least I have 5 to put back in the tractor. I am surprised these pistons arent available. Waiting for my last set of rings to arrive from back east and the head gasket from Japan to put this back together. Wish me luck. This is the first time for me rebuilding anything but a small engine.

AlexS

Equipment
L4150
Oct 16, 2018
Goldendale, WA USA
You think "this" is a LONG thread??
Wait till u get it all back together, hit the key & "THEN" it wont start.!!!
Just kidding.. heres hoping for the best..
Believe it or not it started on 2 cylinders a couple times. Im guessing with compression on 5, it will do better. Thanks for the hope

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
I was working on a JD 2 cylinder tractor about a week ago..
I freed up the inj. pump{overhauled} & got it pumping fuel.. It started & ran on 1 cylinder.!!!
{It also had a stuck injector} Now I can see it running on 1 but actually STARTING?? with the key switch no less.. {no starting fluid} THAT floored me..
20 seconds on the intake glow plug & it fired up & ran..on 1..Lol

AlexS

Equipment
L4150
Oct 16, 2018
Goldendale, WA USA
This is another thing that drives the need to rebuild what you have, is so many of these older model motors have been just tossed in the bin, and there are no good cores.
New head gasket came in today. Installed and she fired right up. No throttle and no stop. Had to pull fuel line to stop. I will do some research and see what I can come up with for those issues

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
New head gasket came in today. Installed and she fired right up. No throttle and no stop. Had to pull fuel line to stop. I will do some research and see what I can come up with for those issues
That sounds like it could be a simple case of injection pump rack not engaging the governor linkage or the throttle linkage properly.

Glad to hear you got it running, now just a little fine tune. ;)

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
I'll bet that made ya "pucker".. Lol
Did u do anything w/ the inj. pump?? have it repaired or did YOU "repair" it?
If YOU took it apart, I'd start there..
Make sure the control rack on the pump moves back & forth.. FREELY
Did u have to go into the governor on the engine?? If the pump checks out, go there.
Good luck

AlexS

Equipment
L4150
Oct 16, 2018
Goldendale, WA USA
That sounds like it could be a simple case of injection pump rack not engaging the governor linkage or the throttle linkage properly.

Glad to hear you got it running, now just a little fine tune. ;)
Thats the area I am going to focus on this morning. There is a screw for the governor that was loose after my mechanic left me. There was also a spring inside the speed control plate that was sprung that I fixed. Maybe it is too tight now. Either way I should be able to figure it out Im hoping. Thanks again

AlexS

Equipment
L4150
Oct 16, 2018
Goldendale, WA USA
I'll bet that made ya "pucker".. Lol
Did u do anything w/ the inj. pump?? have it repaired or did YOU "repair" it?
If YOU took it apart, I'd start there..
Make sure the control rack on the pump moves back & forth.. FREELY
Did u have to go into the governor on the engine?? If the pump checks out, go there.
Good luck
Pump was rebuilt. It works great. Read above response to wolfman.

AlexS

Equipment
L4150
Oct 16, 2018
Goldendale, WA USA
hydraulics work but slow. They were slow and lost pressure when it broke down. Will have to figure out whats up. New filter and topped off fluid.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Alex - glad you got it this far! Good for you!
I haven’t been able to contribute...beyond me.
I’m betting you will figure out the hydraulics too!
Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk