Damn Dodge

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just talked to the kid, she was having a bunch of problems with her 1 ton dodge truck. Up till maybe 6 months ago never a problem then she was having problems with it shifting, over heating no power and all kinds of stuff. Anyways it turned out some puter modular went south causeing loss of power which in turn caused something else to crap out which well you get the idea all the way down to the transmission. Now I know nothing about the new cars and all the puter stuff but the dealer fixed all the other stuff only to find out the transmission was crapped out from the other things, as well, no 2nd gear or OD. Since this Dodge is an 06, finding parts so they can warranty the transmission through Dodge isnt very reliable it seems.
Anyway the dealer had to go back to Dodge, so they can honor the warranty and fix it. Dodge says we will ship a new one just install it no charge for labor,, OK thats not the best deal since the dealer screwed things up in the first place by misdiagnosing problems.
And the kid has been without her truck for 3 months and now Dodge says they have no record of anything. And the truck is a big part of her business on the ranch, hauling horses to shows and vet as well as using it for feed and hay deliveries. And Dodge keeps sending her back to the dealer who is calling Dodge who calls her to go back to the dealer.
Since 65K for a new one is out of the question she is pretty pissed at the company people at Dodge

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Boy I know the pain she's going through, I had the same problem with our 2015 Jeep Cherokee earlier this year. I ended up trading it in on a 6 month old Dodge Ram 1500 which came with over 4 years extended warranty so I'm safe until then. Problem is, is what do you buy, they all seem to be having their problems and like your daughters Dodge the Jeep was mostly computer problems. Sure hope things get better for her.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
When the U.N. gets their way and gas taxes reach over $200 a gallon, we'll all be driving electric cars.

No engine. No transmission. Hardly any drivetrain. You'll have to stop and charge every 220 miles. But that will give you more time to get on Orange.

Like it or not, that is our future.:(

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
When the U.N. gets their way and gas taxes reach over $200 a gallon, we'll all be driving electric cars.

No engine. No transmission. Hardly any drivetrain. You'll have to stop and charge every 220 miles. But that will give you more time to get on Orange.

Like it or not, that is our future.:(
You forgot one thing - and some states are already doing this. If they can't get gas taxes from you, they will collect mileage tax. Your electric car will have a GPS tracker on it and the state will send you a bill according to how many miles you drove in that time period. And the bureaucrats will know exactly where you are all the time!

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I knew a dodge machinic , he said they had cars and trucks on their lot over a year as dodges warranty was great 5 or 6 years but get them to fix it. Or have the part available. Tell your daughter to cut her losses and get a Ford SuperDuty. She'll be a happy camper and a work truck that will do just that. Work.

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
A lot of police departments went to those Dodge Chargers and now they are regretting it. They are junk. They are not near the cars the old Crown Vics. were.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'm not going to put down Dodge - I prefer Ford but the fact is you can have problems with any brand of vehicle. Hopefully between the dealer and the manufacturer you can get things taken care of. Not sure if yours is a gas or diesel, but back in 2006 Dodge was not known for putting great transmissions in their trucks. The Aisin on current diesel 3500's is very good. The RFE is less good, and the G56 manual transmission (made by Mercedes) is good and bad.

As for the police cars, the Charger has some pretty big fans. My state (NH) dumped their Crown Vics before they even stopped making them and switched to the Charger. They haven't looked back after almost 10 years of use and three generations of Charger. Neighboring VT ran the Vic until they couldn't get it anymore, than switched to Explorers.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
If you think discussing politics can get volatile in a hurry, try having a civil conversation about Powerstrokes vs. Cummins. I have my own opinion but will sit on it (for now). I will say that I have been loyal to one of the two since 1991. Partly because of the product, partly because of my particular dealer. Kind of like tractors..... ;)

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
If you think discussing politics can get volatile in a hurry, try having a civil conversation about Powerstrokes vs. Cummins. I have my own opinion but will sit on it (for now). I will say that I have been loyal to one of the two since 1991. Partly because of the product, partly because of my particular dealer. Kind of like tractors..... ;)
Boy ain't that the truth. The dealership here has been great, usually get in the next day if not the same day for warranty work. Also one of the reasons I decided to go with Dodge is because a good friend of mine is a mechanic there.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Boy ain't that the truth. The dealership here has been great, usually get in the next day if not the same day for warranty work. Also one of the reasons I decided to go with Dodge is because a good friend of mine is a mechanic there.
That helps a lot, to have a trustworthy tech at the dealer. I'm happy I can do most work myself.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Trust me, I'm not knocking Chrysler products; just stating my experience.

Had one Chrysler product, a 1991 Plymouth minivan with the optional 3.3l. Transmissions were a problem then with the 3.3 in the vans and cars so equipped. We blew the tranny in ours, but thankfully warranteed.

While we still had it, the new truck models were also having tranny problems, along with some horror stories of fuel mileage in some trucks/engines.

My experience was short, but not good. Kind of made me swear them off since.

It seems Jeep and Fiat are two of the most common Makes that get on top of the list for customer dissatisfaction...but there are many that love them. Certainly the Wranglers hold re-sale...

I know many guys that went to Dodge/Ram specifically for the Cummins, and most have been very pleased.

With that said, we have been GM since the mid-90's. Had a Chevy Uplander I put 9 front wheel bearings in 120,000 miles....go figure.

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Being a 2 car family all our working life I've owned a lot of Toyota pickups over the years and my wife has had Toyota Corolla's, plus we owned a lot of Hyundai's over the years and all were trouble free. We had more trouble with the Jeep Cherokee than all the others combined. I can't tell you how good it is to be back in a truck and so far we love the Ram, fun to drive with all the HP and not bad on fuel considering it has 400hp. If it wasn't for the extended warranty that the previous owner bought I'm not sure I would have bought it. Time will tell if I made a good choice, if not it will be back to Toyota or Hyundai after the warranty is up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I bought my GMC at a dodge dealership. :D

No a bad word about them selling me a sweet truck! ;)

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I bought my GMC at a dodge dealership. :D

No a bad word about them selling me a sweet truck! ;)
When I was looking for a new truck the wife and I stopped at the Chev dealer here in town. I was just walking through the lot having a look at them when the sales person showed up and asked me what I was looking for and when I told him the first thing he said was I couldn't afford one. I should really learn to dress better when shopping for a new truck I guess :rolleyes: so without a word to him I just turned around got back in my car and drove away. Now here comes the strange part, when Kubota came out to get my tractor the guy picking it up asked me about the Ram and after talking to him he said he was driving a newer Chev truck which I remembered seeing at Kubota, a beautiful black 4 wheel drive. While talking I told him about my experience and he told me he had the same experience, was told he couldn't afford one. Must be a new way of selling cars.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
No, I think there are a lot of sales people who ignorantly try to sell. They have no sales training. They don't understand the buying process, so they are just "winging" it.

I had a friend tell me a similar story that happened about 40 years ago. He came to the dealership in bib overalls and the salesman made a comment. He left and bought a new vehicle from a nearby competitor.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
...It seems Jeep and Fiat are two of the most common Makes that get on top of the list for customer dissatisfaction...but there are many that love them. Certainly the Wranglers hold re-sale...

I know many guys that went to Dodge/Ram specifically for the Cummins, and most have been very pleased.

With that said, we have been GM since the mid-90's. Had a Chevy Uplander I put 9 front wheel bearings in 120,000 miles....go figure.
Realistically, the Jeep lineup is hardly "Jeep" at all. The Cherokee is a crossover vehicle built on a Fiat platform and has proven unreliable with numerous electrical issues and problems with the ZF-built 9-speed transmission. The Jeep Renegade is yet another Fiat with a sideways engine and the problematic 9-speed transmission. The Compass is a stretched Renegade platform. The Grand Cherokee has a proper longitudinal drivetrain and high/low transfer case, but is built on the bones of an ancient Mercedes ML platform shared with the Dodge Durango. Finally, the Wrangler...the last true Jeep remaining.

As for RAM trucks, clearly a lot of money and effort has been put into these. Although I like the current styling, somehow I feel there's better reliability long term with a Ford or GM product.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Yeah
My wife had a compass
It was the biggest piece of crap ever..
We only bought it because that was the only model SUV style that came with the standard transmission.

She is a gearhead... LoL

Ended up selling it and getting a Ford Explorer

Had to settle for auto trans it’s a much nicer vehicle.

That said, it’s already been in the shop for a transmission replacement

I guess they don’t make em like they used to

I still have our 1998 Jeep Cherokee sport that we bought new.
I’ve got 280,000 miles on it
4.0 / 5 speed
Dog hauler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Ah, the old XJ Cherokees sure were an honest vehicle. I liked the styling and basic capability. Definitely not the most comfortable vehicle, though. The 4.0L was a long-lasting engine.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When I was looking for a new truck the wife and I stopped at the Chev dealer here in town. I was just walking through the lot having a look at them when the sales person showed up and asked me what I was looking for and when I told him the first thing he said was I couldn't afford one. I should really learn to dress better when shopping for a new truck I guess :rolleyes: so without a word to him I just turned around got back in my car and drove away. Now here comes the strange part, when Kubota came out to get my tractor the guy picking it up asked me about the Ram and after talking to him he said he was driving a newer Chev truck which I remembered seeing at Kubota, a beautiful black 4 wheel drive. While talking I told him about my experience and he told me he had the same experience, was told he couldn't afford one. Must be a new way of selling cars.
Our local GMC dealer did an awesome job at finding what I was looking for, Newest model I could get 4wd extended cab or 4 door and lowest miles.
As did the Chevy dealer.

I had two trucks picked out and had dropped off paperwork on Saturday to my Credit Union and was just going to wait on a yes or no answer on financing to pick one or not.

On a whim while driving by the local dodge dealer we swung in and started to look around, there were 2 trucks I liked and after test driving the one I knew it was a winner.
Well we went threw some serious back and forth negotiations and finally came down to them wanting 2K down and great price with a 100,000 mile warranty (09 with 42K miles on it).
Wife being the financial wiz said we could do it, but really wanted to see if the C.U would do a better deal directly, and didn't want to drop 2k right then.
We had joked earlier that if they gave us 7K on our Cadillac SRX we would do it right then...That wasn't happening wife likes her ride too much.
So as we are walking out to leave and the salesman said you mentioned a trade in earlier, I told him that my only trade in would have been my 04 Tahoe with 215k miles a few dents and a rough interior (Wolf got snackish and chewed a few things), he said but does it start and run, I said yea I drive it everyday, so they gave me 2k for the Tahoe sight unseen and I did the deal.
I would have been lucky to sell it for $500 on craigslist so was trilled at the deal.

Turns out the loan was still through my Credit Union.
When I walked into our local C.U. branch on Monday the manager came out and said congratulations they approved my loan, no money down (for the paperwork I dropped off Saturday for the other trucks) and at 3.99%, I told him about the deal I had made and said they did 2.99% on the truck i just bought. :D

I could have gotten the second truck if I wanted because the loan was good, but I didn't need the extra payments. :p

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Congrats, sounds like a great deal, kinda sounds like my Chrysler dealer here, can't do enough for me. With the cost of a car or truck now and the amount of dealerships around you would think they would all do more to win your business.