Top Link Valve not acting correctly?

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
So I copied rkidds parts list to install a hydraulic top link of my 2650. As well as the majority is his install parameters....

Prince 2 spool DA valve with float 9-7862-F. DA cylinder 9-7682-08, both from Surplus Center.

The valve is installed between the PB outlet on the loader valve and the inlet for the 3 point. The 3 point functions as it should. The "tank" port has been tee'd into the loader return line.

Heres where I am running into an issue....

I have the top link connected to the float spool and the pilot valve removed from the cylinder so the lines tie directly into the cylinder. Operating the valve in one direction, which extends the cylinder, functions fine. From light input up to full open I can modulate the speed of the cylinder as much as the hydraulic flow allows and will trip the relief in the valve if I hold it against the fully extended position...

Now, when I operate the valve in the opposite direction, which would be retracting the cylinder, it operates what I would call backwards. As I move the lever, as soon as flow starts to go to the cylinder, its tripping the relief. The hose gets tense with pressure, the engine bogs a little like it should if one was holding a valve open against a cylinder that's reached its limit of motion..... But if I operate the valve fully open, no issues until the cylinder reaches its limit, then it functions normally by tripping the relief in the valve.

Modulating the valve in this direction to control the speed of the cylinder appears to be hitting some obstruction in the valve unless the valve is fully open.

I have sent an email off to surplus center... But wondering if I am missing something...

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Didn't think about trying the other spool. Ill try and see what happens.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Hey eipo. Are you thinking there is a problem with the float valve?

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Yes.

When I try to slowly retract the cylinder with the float spool, it starts by tripping the relief. More input equals less relief pressure and full open equals no relief until the cylinder reaches it limit of travel. Then the relief opens again if I hold the valve open. You can see the pressure in the hose as well when the relief valve is tripped... But only in one direction.

Id have to check, but I think the issue is on the float detent side of the lever.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I do not think there is a Regen in the valve. Thats where it would have to be.

Whats "load check?"

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
OK... So "load check" prevents a cylinder from moving when the spool is being operated.

"the load check will prevent the fall of a cylinder while the spool is being moved. The pump must build up enough pressure to overcome the pressure on the work port caused by the weight of the load before the cylinder can move."

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
And whats still not making sense is I can see the pressure in the line to the cylinder. It as if there is an obstruction in the cylinder... But only when the spool is barely open.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Something else that seemed to develop today...

With the top link connected to the non float valve, and the cylinder fully extended, I can set the box blade on the ground and the cylinder with compress under the weight of the box blade. I can get off the tractor and finish pushing it in almost all the way with my weight standing on the top of the quick hitch.

I'm fairly certain Ive gotten all the air pushed out of the circuit. I ran the cylinder through its range of motion with either port elevated individually so I don't think there is air in either circuit.

And the cylinder will stay locked on the extension side of the circuit....

2 emails to Surplus Center about the initial issue haven't prompted a response. Time for a phone call.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Its not very often I'm left speechless. Ive usually got something snarky saved away for things that just shouldn't happen...

While waiting on a response from Surplus Center, which still hasn't happened... I contacted Prince directly... I almost got shuffled back to Surplus Center to generate an RMA number until I told them I can not get them to respond to my inquiries.

I got connected with a gentleman named Gary, whose title is Regional Sales Manager..

Gary and I talked several times, and he had me perform a couple tests which included swapping fittings, swapping connections, spilling hyd. oil all over the back of the tractor. I obliged because I really want this figured out....

I got a call today from Gary.... Gary told me that they have been talking about this issue with several of the engineers and have come to the conclusion that the float spool on my valve is not "timed" correctly. This would be an issue created at the time of machining. Gary said that the valve is not 'designed as a metering valve' so I can not expect to be able to modulate the flow through the spools..... My issue doesn't warrant any action on their part because a replacement likely wouldn't solve the problem.

He said in closing, and I quote, "it is what it is."

SO yeah... I was beyond pissed... But I'm over it now and will do my best to express my interactions with Prince on any social media platform I come across...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Put the valve back in the box and return it to Surplus Center. Tell them it doesn't work. Ask for a refund. If they refuse do a charge back from your CC. Buy from someone else!

Customer "no service' is very common these days.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Yes, that is the next step.

Id like to find something to replace it with so I don't have to return all the plumbing back to stock in the meantime.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
haha.... I did post a question under the valve page on surplus center asking if anyone monitors their email account....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Call them on the phone. Tell them you need to return the valve. In the discussion tell they why, and that you'd like to find a solution. I bet they have something and will help.

If you call and ask for sales you get connected to someone quicker than any other department. Once you're there you can tell them your situation, and find out how to continue.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I did... today. Transferred to someone that apparently doesn't monitor their voicemail.

Thats why I resorted to calling them out in the open... They seem to answer product questions with regularity...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
When that happens just call them right back. Let the front desk know you got to a dead end and need to speak to someone. If it happens again, repeat the procedure. They quickly get the idea. Let them know you need to speak to someone in sales and you'll wait, don't want to be put on someone's voice mail who won't respond.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Well how about that.. I got a nice email this morning and a UPS return label in my inbox.