Kubota l285

Chris f

Oct 1, 2018
West bend Wisconsin
Hello new to this site I have an L285 tractor I noticed smoke coming from some type of block on my fire wall when I use my glow plugs changed plugs problem still there so what is device called thanks Chris

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Hi - welcome to OTT - Kubota calls the fire wall a shutter plate. It has a fuse box with 4 fuses,
a voltage regulator, and a main fuse (40 amp). The main fuse holder gets corroded
and may start smoking. If it can't be sanded clean it can be replaced with one like this.

The glow plugs get power from the main fuse.
See attached wiring diagram for L345, a similar tractor. Dick B

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I don't know your tractor so keep that in mind as you read my comments.

Some early generation Kubota's used series wired glow plugs. Some of these used a heavy resistor in addition to the dash indicator mentioned by D2cat. In the ones I know, I this resistor was located inside a metal box in front of the battery. The resistor would get very hot and the metal enclosure was to prevent something from touching it and catching fire

One forum member rebuilt his shorting out resistor using ceramic washers.

The guts looked like this:

If you post some photos of your glow plug wiring, more relevant comments can be made.

Dave

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Hello new to this site I have an L285 tractor I noticed
smoke coming from some type of block on my fire wall
when I use my glow plugs changed plugs problem still there
so what is device called thanks Chris
Chris, just to be sure, is the "fire wall" you mention the plate mounted behind the engine?

It would help everyone if you could post a picture of the area that's smoking. Dick B

Last edited:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
My glow plug indicator hasn't worked since I bought the tractor, but the plugs still work. But on previous tractors I've driven, stuff like sawdust or leaves would sometimes end up inside the indicator and smoulder.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Since no one is eagerly jumping in, I will give you my long shot.....

We need more pictures. Of the smoking device up close, the entire both sides of the engine and of all the wiring, a more overall picture of what you posted.

My wild guess is that you have a home made fusible link as I have identified on your photo below.

Don't know what a fusible link is! Here is NAPA's explaaation:

A fusible link acts much like a fuse, only it***8217;s designed to handle a different type of potentially hazardous scenario. These links are actually strands of wire wrapped in a fireproof covering, and are thinner than the wiring harnesses they***8217;re connected to. They are placed in-line between delicate harnesses and large sources of electrical current in your car***8212;between the battery and alternator, for example. These links must transmit high-voltage electricity, but also protect the rest of the electrical system from dangerous spikes that could cause a fire. If there***8217;s a surge, the link actually melts, as its resistance to heat is lower than that of the circuits it***8217;s protecting. This cuts off power while protecting the engine bay from a conflagration, thanks to its fireproof wrapping.

As I study the small insulated wire (my red arrow), it appears to be a solid strand of wire like used in a home.

On any type of car,. truck, tractor, boat, the wiring is stranded not solid. Many strands of small wire wrapped together and then insulated. The stranded wire is better able to withstand the flexing and bending any vehicle imposes. The solid wire, once installed in your home, never moves.

If I am correct and the wire is indeed solid, the fusible link was likely replaced by a previous owner when the original one blew.

You can buy fusible link wire on Amazon. However, you need to do some studying first to determine what size you need. Google is a great resource for this.

Don't just go and put in the proper fusible link as it will likely just blow. We need to fully understand and confirm the wiring of your Glow Plugs and the GP indicator.

This is why more photos are necessary.

I did find a WSM (Workshop Manual on the site below. Unfortunately, the wiring diagram image is very poor.
If you do not have a WSM, this one would be good for you to have.
https://www.manualslib.com/download/1101745/Kubota-L185.html

This week I will see if my very friendly dealer can give me a better WSM.

POST the request photos please.

On Kubota's a bit newer than yours the fusible link looks like this:

Dave

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Just getting back to this thread. The "homemade fusible link" Dave highlighted
was originally an S-shaped exposed metal fuse. On my L345, the terminals got rusty and failed.
I replaced it with a 30A in-line fuse like this. Works fine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Just getting back to this thread. The "homemade fusible link" Dave highlighted
was originally an S-shaped exposed metal fuse. On my L345, the terminals got rusty and failed.
I replaced it with a 30A in-line fuse like this. Works fine.
Nice to hear my guess was reasonable. :)

There is still the issue of why the current draw for the GP's is high enough to smoke the insulation on the homemade fuse/link.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
My friendly Kubota dealer checked his WSM database and found no WSM for a L285. He thinks too old.

We found the part with the house wire. It is labelled a fuse holder in the Kubota parts system.. No longer available.

Dave

Chris f

Oct 1, 2018
West bend Wisconsin
My friendly Kubota dealer checked his WSM database and found no WSM for a L285. He thinks too old.

We found the part with the house wire. It is labelled a fuse holder in the Kubota parts system.. No longer available.

Dave
Thanks Dave seems like a simple fix

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks Dave seems like a simple fix

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Chris
You need to continue to investigate why the fuse/fusible link blew in the first place.

Incorrect wiring may not allow the glow plugs to work properly and you might just blow a proper fuse again.

That is why I suggested more pictures

Dave