B6000 rebuild with starting problems

406nick

Equipment
B6000 Kubota w/ FEL & S850 Tiller
Mar 27, 2013
Columbia Falls, MT
So about a year ago I rebuilt my B6000/zb6000. Since then I have had starting issues. It's especially hard when warm, but also has longer cranking times when cold. It also doesn't seem to have as much power under a load.
The fuel pump and injectors have been rebuilt but I am not certain I have the governor hooked up properly. I feel like I must be missing a spring or something so that it doesn't try to die under a load. Does any one have pictures or anything that they could possibly send me in that area to help?
When it's under a load it doesn't bellow any black smoke like it used to when it would try to keep itself running. It will simply lug and die.

zuric

Equipment
L2050DT, B7000 grey mkt. ! Workbull 202 Massey,650 John Deere, 3444 Int.
Feb 12, 2017
Ava Mo.
The governor spring can be stretched or just not hooked up ,gotta reach around in the case to get to it, on my L2050.

Looking at the parts list, the B6000 spring arrangement looks pretty much similar. Can be a bugger to get apart..and really easy to damage it in the process.

406nick

Equipment
Mar 27, 2013
Columbia Falls, MT
I have all the manuals and have studied them pretty hard. I have wondered if there is a fuel setting on the pump that might not be correct after the rebuild or maybe the nozzles on the injectors aren't correct. Something is just definitely not right. I suppose I could still have low compression from after the rebuild but I'm fairly certain the rings should be seated by now.

406nick

Equipment
Mar 27, 2013
Columbia Falls, MT
You wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you? I'm really thinking there should be another spring but can't for the life of me see where it goes.

The governor spring can be stretched or just not hooked up ,gotta reach around in the case to get to it, on my L2050.

Looking at the parts list, the B6000 spring arrangement looks pretty much similar. Can be a bugger to get apart..and really easy to damage it in the process.

zuric

Equipment
Feb 12, 2017
Ava Mo.
Well..it is item '25' of the fuel camshaft group of the B6000 parts manual. I just spent 30 minutes attempting to get the image here from my computer, with no luck at all. Will try again tomorrow night.
As an official 'old guy'..I have no idea whatsoever how to make a computer do much of anything..sorry.

zuric

Equipment
Feb 12, 2017
Ava Mo.
Sorry it took so long. Hopefully, there actually is a picture of the spring, and position it occupies in the scheme of things...Item 025, by the way...

Attachments

Last edited:

406nick

Equipment
Mar 27, 2013
Columbia Falls, MT
So with this issue still plaguing me I'm hoping someone out there might be able to snap some pictures of the internals for me. I have the hard starting issue but this thing will also almost die under a load unless I back out of it. It's like the governor isn't responding correctly and giving it more fuel. I should mention this pump and injectors were rebuilt while I was rebuilding the engine.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is a couple adjustments that can be made to the governor but not the pump itself.

Did you change the set point on the adjustment on cover in front of the injection pump?

Did you reinstall all the shims that were under the injection pump when you removed it?

Are you sure you got the injection pump rack pin lined up with the governor?

As far as springs go, there are 2 springs in that set up.

The start spring is connected to the pin in the front cover and back to the governor.

The second spring is attached from the throttle lever to the governor.

Did you reinstall those 2 springs?

406nick

Equipment
Mar 27, 2013
Columbia Falls, MT
So I'm not 100 percent I got it all hooked up correctly but the rack pin sits in the groove for the governor lever but my front pin didn't have a hole in it for a spring. I got a spare one that did from someone on here however I remember trying to put it on but not being able to figure out how it was supposed to work. And it seemed to me that it would be giving me the opposite effect?? It's been awhile so I can't exactly remember what I found to be the issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
And it seemed to me that it would be giving me the opposite effect?? It's been awhile so I can't exactly remember what I found to be the issue.
There are 2 pins (well one adjustment bolt and one pin) in the front cover.

And yes you will have all sorts of issues if the start spring is not in place, or hooked up right, not only starting issues but run issues too.

Post pictures of the front cover.

What about the other Questions?

406nick

Equipment
Mar 27, 2013
Columbia Falls, MT
Wouldn't I need a different governor fork to hook up that spring? Because I don't see where it can hook with my current lever.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Since your engine did not originally come with a start spring on the front cover I don't think you need it.

It's sounding like you have a grey market b6000, the difference between the grey and US model, is just some minor motor differences.

Let me see if I can find blueprints on the B6000 Grey engine setup.

406nick

Equipment
Mar 27, 2013
Columbia Falls, MT
Yes I do have the gray version. Makes me wonder if any of the subtle differences are making a difference with this problem I'm having.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oh good you didn't take the grey comment in a bad way.
The last guy I said that to, chewed me up and down and ripped me a new one!

It does make some subtle differences in the builds, lets see if we can get to the bottom of it!

You never answered,

Did you change the set point on the adjustment on cover in front of the injection pump?

Did you reinstall all the shims that were under the injection pump when you removed it?

Last edited:

406nick

Equipment
Mar 27, 2013
Columbia Falls, MT
Nope didnt take anything the wrong way lol. I find it a pretty important detail that I sometimes forget about when it comes to these things.
So for the set point, no I havent touched that and yes i ended up putting the shims all back in. Some things I'm thinking about trying now are, unhook the injector lines to make sure the pump is putting out enough fuel and trying to check the spray pattern of the injectors?? This thing even starts hard when its warmed up so it just has me baffled. I know all my timing Mark's were on with the front cover off because I checked multiple times but I am now even questioning that since I can't see in there to tell for sure.
Do you know if there is any adjustment on the rack inside the pump that could cause issues??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you know if there is any adjustment on the rack inside the pump that could cause issues??
Did you have the pump professionally rebuilt?
If you did any adjustments should have been done.

And yes with the injection pump in you can first do a spill test to make sure the pump is truly in time.

Then you can hook the lines to the pump and the injectors with them out and see if your getting a good spray pattern, and volume.

Last edited: