Which linear actuator for snowblower chute mod?

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
I want to attach a linear actuator to my 2782B snowblower to move the chute up and down. My primary concerns are finding an actuator that has the proper stroke length (not sure if I need 4 inch or 6 inch), is water resistant, and will move the chute quickly. With regard to the last point, I think that a lower force actuator (~35lbs.) should work fine and give me fast articulation.

I have heard good things about Firgelli actuators but their premium version is IP66 and I think that this application would require IPX7.

Any recommendations? Has anyone used an actuator that has lasted through a few winters without breaking down?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I purchased this one from Surplus Center: http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands...t-DC-Linear-Actuator-with-Sensor-5-1577-6.axd
No problems for 2 years. They now have two actuators that are slightly cheaper that should work just as well. If I was building it again I would probably go with a 4" stroke, either 4" or 6" should work you just need to adjust the length of the lever arm on the chute.
Be sure to put the actuator on top and the shaft down to prevent moisture from entering around the shaft.

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
I bought the following:
Heavy Duty Linear Actuator 8" Inch Stroke 200 Pound Max Lift DC 12v 12 - 24 Volt
I put it on the side of the chute because I did not think of getting the
bracket from Kubota that mounts on the top of the chute (doh).

Works great and moves even when I am throwing snow.

I would look at the Kubota parts list and see what the specs are for
that linear actuator and buy one that either matches those specs or
what you prefer.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I bought an 8" because that lined up best with the factory holes on the chute. This winter I will replace it with a 4" and make new holes because the 8" is too slow for my taste. Works fine, just takes too long.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I want to attach a linear actuator to my 2782B snowblower to move the chute up and down. My primary concerns are finding an actuator that has the proper stroke length (not sure if I need 4 inch or 6 inch), is water resistant, and will move the chute quickly. With regard to the last point, I think that a lower force actuator (~35lbs.) should work fine and give me fast articulation.

I have heard good things about Firgelli actuators but their premium version is IP66 and I think that this application would require IPX7.

Any recommendations? Has anyone used an actuator that has lasted through a few winters without breaking down?
Used a 6" 50Ft Lbs on mine IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I bought a 6" but should have bought a 4" for one big reason, they all move pretty slow. 4" of stroke is all you need (told my wife the same thing but she doesn't buy it) and mount it so you get full up/down. The geometry of a 4" stroke will equate to more motion at the expense of power but power is never a problem as they all can move 50lbs or better.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
With respect to OP's comment about IP rating.

This was taken from: http://www.enclosurecompany.com/ip-ratings-explained.php

IP Ratings - what they mean.

IP Rated Enclosures - quick find chart

A number replaced by x indicates that the enclosure is not rated for that spec.

First Digit (intrusion protection)
1.No special protection<
2.Protection from a large part of the body such as a hand (but no protection from deliberate access); from solid objects greater than 50mm in diameter.
3.Protection against fingers or other object not greater than 80mm in length and 12mm in diameter.
4.Protection from entry by tools, wires etc, with a diameter of 2.5 mm or more.
5.Protection against solid bodies larger than 1mm (eg fine tools/small etc).
6.Protected against dust that may harm equipment.
7.Totally dust tight.

Second Digit (moisture protection)
1.No protection.
2.Protection against condensation
3.Protection against water droplets deflected up to 15° from vertical
4.Protected against spray up to 60° from vertical.
5.Protected against water spray from all directions.
6.Protection against low pressure water jets (all directions)
7.Protection against strong water jets and waves.
8.Protected against temporary immersion.
9.Protected against prolonged effects of immersion under pressure.

For IPx6 the water test consists of...
Water projected in powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Test duration: at least 3 minutes

Water volume: 100 litres per minute

Pressure: 100 kPa at distance of 3 m

IPx7 is water submersion at a depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
With respect to OP's comment about IP rating.
IPx7 is water submersion at a depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes
Yes - There is no kill like overkill. That and I expect snow will sit on the actuator and I don't want to have to replace it every 2 years. Unfortunately, it looks like IPX6 is the best I can find so I am going with it.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
There are some threads where there was a problem with water leaking around the shaft of the actuator and getting in the gearbox (not sure what weather proof rating was used). The solution was to mount the actuator with the shaft in the down direction.

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI

do you have a website for that actuater? thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gs kubota

Equipment
B7200 HST
Jul 16, 2018
Killingly, CT
Bought my linear actuators for my plow project from Progressive Automations. They have some nice products designed for dusty and wet locations. Staff was also very helpful over the phone when ordering.

McCrae

Equipment
B2601
Oct 27, 2018
Caribou, ME
Search merit automation on eBay I just bought a kit from them. Tractor has not been delivered yet so I cant give a review yet

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
I believe if you turn this actuator the other way up then wont have water leaking into cylinder. If this works though it works. My factory one is turned with cylinder facing down. Just my 2 cents. Hard to find same actuator as one on my Kubota as the mounting is a little different. I did purchase one from Princess Auto in Canada for 89.00 Cdn plus taxes. Just have to get two smaller size bolts to fit it on and then wire in.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I believe if you turn this actuator the other way up then wont have water leaking into cylinder. If this works though it works. My factory one is turned with cylinder facing down. Just my 2 cents. Hard to find same actuator as one on my Kubota as the mounting is a little different. I did purchase one from Princess Auto in Canada for 89.00 Cdn plus taxes. Just have to get two smaller size bolts to fit it on and then wire in.
I really hope he's already worked it out as it's been 6 years. ;)