Screw drive/cone log splitter/ making it safer

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Re: Screw drive/cone log splitter

I just need to figure out a way that I can push logs against it without getting my hands near that unshielded spinning auger bit.
I've been thinking about that.
If you built a table to support the logs, then added a long lever (maybe "u" channel?) with a pivot point (maybe adjustable pivot point?) and a v-block log holder/locater on it's own pivot, you should be able to keep far away from the auger for much of the cycle. (see pic)

I also thought about a foot pedal activated clutch for the PTO/screw shaft- step on it to spin, release to stop.

Never went past the brainstorming stage on these yet, mainly because I don't have the splitter.

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

....?) and a v-block log holder/locater .... should be able to keep far away from the auger for much of the cycle. (see pic)
This part may suffice by itself.

I also thought about a foot pedal activated clutch for the PTO/screw shaft- step on it to spin, release to stop.
Would like to hear more about this concept.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin

Here's one for you coach. How about a belt drive to the cone shaft with an idler that would engage the shaft by means of a foot pedal? Kind of like engaging the blades on a riding lawn mower only there would be no 'lock'. Spring return on the foot pedal of coarse. I think this is what Lil Foot was getting to.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin

Yooper-
I do not, but all the taper attachments I've used in the past (Hardinge, Monarch, Cincinnati) would not thread.
I have a friend who just got a Grizzly 12x36 and he might have one, & it should fit my Birmingham 12x36. Maybe I need to explore that possibility.
Yeah, that would simplify things a bit. I know I could thread using the taper on my old Clausing. Some of the cones look like they use a buttress thread, which I've never attempted. It would be a fun challenge for sure.

Treckerzeug

Equipment
Carraro tgf 7800 taijfun 4,5 t winch, trailer with crane, double bl saw
Apr 17, 2015
Bavaria South Germany

hello,

The even more safe way using these cone splitters would be to get 2 m out of their way,

I ve bought the cone with a shaft two bearings and a 6 spline cone, for some 150€
Used the t angle drive box of an ex self loader wagon and feed the splitter with my crane,
On this video you see my first trials:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxNX6pYRGM
Niw it is going faster.

Take care

Regards

Robert

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

Would like to hear more about this concept.
Years ago I worked weekends for one summer at a small sawmill in Heber AZ. The old guy who owned it was a former locomotive engineer who had built all the equipment. The smaller of his two saws (he had a 24" & a 72") used a homemade clutch setup to drive the carriage ( cradle, log clamps, & operators seat) past the blade. The clutch consisted of a large (6"dia?) female cone on the driveshaft, opposite a male cone of the same size & angle on a splined motor shaft. A simple fork (like a trannny shifter fork) operated by a foot pedal moved the two cones in & out of engagement. I think they were both just mild steel, because he said he had to re-face them periodically.
I have seen cone clutches (google them) that have friction material for engagement, but I hadn't gone any further with this as of yet.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

You could just wrap a steel rod in a helix on the cone. Then weld it to cone and sharpen into thread shape

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

ok so the model number for the Kubota version is B310. There was a safety device that could be ordered as well. appears to be a shut off. Attached is PDF of parts schematic. anyone got a guess how it worked and where in general it was mounted based on this information?

PS- parts schematic for the business end at the PTO is here

Attachments

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Screw drive/cone log splitter

Looks like a remote control to push the throttle. Probably a cable connection to the rear area of the kill lever where you can pull it down (????) and kill the tractor

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

When Kubota sold these items there was a package of hardware that came with the splitter which was to be mounted on the rear fender to control the throttle.

I never mounted the one I had because the whole apparatus was a I described earlier...best stored under a bench, not used!!

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

You can probably make something similar from a bike or motorcycle hand brake/clutch and mount it by the top link or something that is convenient

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

You can probably make something similar from a bike or motorcycle hand brake/clutch and mount it by the top link or something that is convenient

Yeah as described so far yes.... but I wonder if there may have been more to it than just throttle control. It is labeled Safety Shut Off. Unless it offered no throttle acceleration!.. but only deceleration to "full off throttle" which is "suppose" to shut the engine down. Does ya'lls shut off that way? Mine won't shut down that way directly. I have to accelerate up quickly then back down to get her to shut off.

Last edited:

Flintlock42003

Apr 17, 2017
Paducah, KY

Just obtained one, just like the Unicorn splitter, but it is a Kubota. Does seem very simple, I just need to figure out a way that I can push logs against it without getting my hands near that unshielded spinning auger bit.

And if you used it on soft ground, the log won't hold and will dig a trench and spin until you shut it down. I wasted more time with this thing, went back to ax and splitting wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA

The long orange pipe in JerryC999's picture is what the wood round is rested upon when pushed into the cone. The ground conditions have nothing to do with it. Lift the round, oriented with long axis roughly horizontal, set it on the pipe, slide the round up against the cone, and it feeds itself in.

This bar keeps the wood from spinning as the cone drives itself in. The cone drills into the round radially, not axially like a hydraulic splitter or how you split by hand. You cannot safely split short rounds if they are not a few inches longer than the distance from the cone to the pipe. I cut my firewood to about 20" and this is plenty long for this splitter model.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

Yeah as described so far yes.... but I wonder if there may have been more to it than just throttle control. It is labeled Safety Shut Off. Unless it offered no throttle acceleration!.. but only deceleration to "full off throttle" which is "suppose" to shut the engine down. Does ya'lls shut off that way? Mine won't shut down that way directly. I have to accelerate up quickly then back down to get her to shut off.

My tractor will shut down from idle by just pulling up on the kill lever.
I have no idea if it would shut down if the hand throttle was set to high RPM. I'll try that this weekend to see

I did look at at the kill and foot throttle and they connect at one point so it looks like you could use a cable to set RPM and to kill the tractor. I think there would need to be a friction point to hold the cable at rpm desired. Similar to the friction washers on the 3PH position lever. That may be why they had the flat bar handle in their system.

I think you can make something fairly simple if you look at how the foot throttle and the kill lever work.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Screw drive/cone log splitter

Picking this up Fri. 2.5 hour drive away but for only two digit price... worth the drive. Helps I get 40ish MPG too.

Attachments

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Re: Bark Buster Repair

If you're hell bent to split wood with that thing you better attach an arm on the clockwise side to keep your wood from becoming a propeller!!

And check you health insurance and disability policy.