Screw drive/cone log splitter/ making it safer

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Thinking on adding one of these to operate off my PTO. The thought is to get a PTO saw and add this gizmo to the opposite end of the shaft that spins the sawlade

https://detectorcovers.com/wood-log-splitter-screw-80mm (example ... not yet vetted what product to purchase)

Anyone got ideas on how to make them safer? Like if god forbid anything like a coat got rapped in it... your a gonner with no way to turn off PTO it will wrap the cone and your coat will do the Boa Constrictor on you.

Liked how one user (on a petrol tractor) put a string on the center coil wire so the user could yank it to stop the engine if needed. Any simple ideas like that on our Diesel tractors? chain to Yank PTO lever to neutral?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGaRwv5HT-o

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Re: Screw drive/cone log splitter

I used to have one of those, had a Model T truck bolt pattern ( 5x5 1/2). I tried it on my Bronco, and will never use one again! It was set up to drive your truck out to the woods, take a rear tire off, put on the "unit" ( it was called a "Montana Barstool" from the gentleman it came from.) split wood, load it all up, put the wheel and tire back on and drive home.
Be careful as pieces of wood will fly.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

I used to have one of those, had a Model T truck bolt pattern ( 5x5 1/2). I tried it on my Bronco, and will never use one again! It was set up to drive your truck out to the woods, take a rear tire off, put on the "unit" ( it was called a "Montana Barstool" from the gentleman it came from.) split wood, load it all up, put the wheel and tire back on and drive home.
Be careful as pieces of wood will fly.
sounds like the bronco was probably was way more power than the unit was designed for. One's I've run across for tractors use 540rpm. Bronco would be what 800?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

They scare the snot out of me:eek:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA

I have one, it's called an "Unicorn Splitter" if I remember right. The labeling is long faded to being unreadable. Just like this one - http://billwlee.com/ag-equip/log-splitter/u219-used-unicorn-log-splitter-3-point-540-pto-power/

It works great, especially on an older machine like mine without rear remotes. Stupid simple. The only drawback is the occasional piece gnarly enough to overcome the torque of the tractor, then you have to "unscrew" it. More cowbell (rpm) is the usual fix for a stubborn round.

I may win a Darwin Award someday but I don't plan on doing it splitting wood, it's certainly no more dangerous than a chainsaw, just another tool that commands respectful use.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

it's certainly no more dangerous than a chainsaw, just another tool that commands respectful use.
That has been my opinion. I don't have one, but if I run across one cheap, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
Actually, Ive been trying to work out a method (on the back burner) to machine a screw in my home shop- the rest would be easy to build.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI

Personally they scare me, but, I have seen some on c list that use a post hole digger. I think I would feel safer using that, then again I'm cutting for outdoor boilers, so all I have to do is split it so I can lift it. Then my brother bought an upside down splitter for the skid steer, so there's no reason for me to buy one.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin

My first thought was a telescopic spiral bellows like they use on CNC ball screws, but those are crazy expensive. How about a spring loaded tube inside (outside) another tube that would cover up all the rotating parts? Can work up a sketch if you need a visual. Think large PVC pipe.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin

That has been my opinion. I don't have one, but if I run across one cheap, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
Actually, Ive been trying to work out a method (on the back burner) to machine a screw in my home shop- the rest would be easy to build.
Do you have a taper attachment on your lathe?

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho

sounds like the bronco was probably was way more power than the unit was designed for. One's I've run across for tractors use 540rpm. Bronco would be what 800?

It was a stick shift ( so is the current one) so idle was set at 600 or so. The biggest problem is rounds that aren't clear, I.E. knots etc make them harder to split clean. When I tried using the " Montana barstool" I was splitting pine for the outdoor fire pit, so it scared me to death I was going to get clobbered by a couple large chunks holding fast, and starting to spin.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

I posted this in another thread that had a quick end, so I'll repost it here.

I bought a new one in about 1985 from Kubota and used it on a B6100. Tractor powered the device fine, but put it under the bench and sold it 20 years latter. It's a pain in the back!! You have to stoop over to use it, and the wood has to be long enough to catch the cross piece you you'll have a whirrly bird flying around in an extremely dangerous situation, or you'll get it suck in a piece of wood and have fun backing it out.

My recommendation is to avoid that type of splitter, use the more popular hyd. ram on a beam type.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

My first thought was a telescopic spiral bellows like they use on CNC ball screws, but those are crazy expensive. How about a spring loaded tube inside (outside) another tube that would cover up all the rotating parts? Can work up a sketch if you need a visual. Think large PVC pipe.
Like the cover idea. The most important safety feature though would be an immediate way to stop the spinning off the PTO.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

Yooper-
I do not, but all the taper attachments I've used in the past (Hardinge, Monarch, Cincinnati) would not thread.
I have a friend who just got a Grizzly 12x36 and he might have one, & it should fit my Birmingham 12x36. Maybe I need to explore that possibility.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

Coach maybe if it was set up with an electric motor and a foot switch move the foot motor stops

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net

They scare the snot out of me:eek:
With good reason.. Chainsaws can cause some serious injuries, but clothing, hair, gloves, any strong material on your body coming entangled in rotating equipment is gruesome.

Even the safety agencies recognize the increased danger of gloves and anything else on your body that if caught in the rotating machinery is going to be bad. "The risks of wearing gloves when using rotating machinery cannot be overstated."
http://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/11182-hand-protection

On one of the car restoration shows, they showed the injury to a guys hand wearing gloves while using a drill press. The glove caught, pulling his hand in to the bit.. and it went deep into the palm of his hand with a really serious injury.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada

Never tried threading with my taper attatchment, would be interesting. Gloves and whirling parts are scary.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich

When they first came out several guys in the shop built them. I don't remember how the did it. But when you millions of dollars of machine tools you can use someone will find a way. I think it would be easy on a CNC lathe

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY

Just obtained one, just like the Unicorn splitter, but it is a Kubota. Does seem very simple, I just need to figure out a way that I can push logs against it without getting my hands near that unshielded spinning auger bit.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

I think it would be easy on a CNC lathe
Everyone I know who has made one has used a cnc-unfortunately I don't have one.