new 3540 major problem

jds

Equipment
L3540, loader la723, box blade, pallet forks; 2012 f350 6.7 cc srw
Dec 13, 2013
clinton mo
just picked up a new 3540hst
have been out running it and getting acquainted with operations.
i have encountered a major problem
when starting from a stop (either forward or reverse) the engine will stall out and if i do not let up on the foot pedal it will kill the engine. if i let up on the pedal, i hear a click from underneath the tractor (underneath either the engine or seat area...but sounding more like from underneath the engine)
this problem is sporadic. it will do this intermittently.
it will sometimes run well without any issues for up to 10-20 minutes or even longer. then without changing anything, it will start stalling out again for a bit.
i have tried all different settings (stall guard on/off, hds on/off, auto throttle advance on/off, the full range of rpms, etc...)
i have tried all different combinations of settings and nothing will eliminate the problem.
the only scenario in which i have been unable to make it stall is using the cruise control lever to take off from a stop.
the tractor has sat on the lot for a bit and has a mild amount of sun fading. i do not know if this is an issue related to it sitting for a while or not.

the tractor is always well warmed up. the ambient air temperature has been between 30-60 degrees

i contacted the dealer today, he suggested to check the fuel bowl, l checked it and drained it...problem still persist

thanks all for any input/help.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT!

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
That is really baffling. If you bought it from your dealer, I'd ask him to get right on it and fix it (at his expense). Let us know how you make out, and what the cause and solution are.
P

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll second the last advice!
It's new and shouldn't be doing anything like what your talking about!
Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have no idea what you paid for it and price doesn't matter. It's your hard earned dollars that bought it and the warranty is part of the price.

The dealer is there to serve you, not the other way around. The dealer shouldn't have told you to check the fuel bowl, he should have said I'll have a tech on the way to assist you. If this dealer doesn't want to help you my advise is find one that will. If I hadn't changed dealers after buying my 1st Kubota I would have changed brands.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
jds there ya go bud,,, you paid for it they need to make it right

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Unless you can find something really obvious in a quick once-over you need to encourage the dealer you bought from to provide the level of support you paid for. You may need to be persistent (vocal and escalating). Easily discouraged owners are the dealer's 'best' warranty customers.

Having said that, you probably have a misadjusted safety switch interlock that's misbehaving. The 'click' you are hearing is probably the fuel shutoff solenoid shutting the machine down. Could be a switch (one of several inline in your wiring harness at different locations) or a wire that's occasionally chaffing to short. My bet is an interlock (probably the HST safety switch perhaps in concert with the seat safety (Operator Presence Control)) is shutting you down.

Your Owner's Manual has a systematic procedure to ensure all safety interlocks are functioning properly. Follow the process and report what you find to the dealer---if you detect an obvious fault. Be cautious doing this because if you report no interlock failure the tech may take you at your word and not look where he should.

I'm curious why the Cruise Control works as you describe; it must be bypassing some portion of the control circuitry in the HST. Next time I light our HST I'm going to experiment how the Cruise Control interacts (I've got it restrained from use so less experienced user(s) don't drive into a fence corner--again.)

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

jds

Equipment
Dec 13, 2013
clinton mo
thanks for the replies.
last night before i went to bed, i bled the fuel line. then ran it for about 20-30 minutes. stalling out had decreased...only happened once of twice.
let it sit for another 30-60 minutes. bled it again. ran it again and could not get it to stall, trying to.
will run it again this evening when i get home. problem may be solved.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I agree that you should take full advantage of your warranty, but the dealerships suggestion would worry me. They should be more proactive than telling you to check something, or have you take an action that may interfer with your warranty. Some dealerships are better than others, and some have more technical expertise than others. It isn't enough to buy a great tractor; you need a great dealership with personel who can competently work on your equipment.
There was a local Dodge dealership that couldn't/wouldn't work on the diesel trucks. I wouldn't purchase a truck from a dealership who can't work on it, and the same goes for a tractor dealership.

jds

Equipment
Dec 13, 2013
clinton mo
update to the stalling problem:

so even after bleeding the fuel line several times, it was continuing to stall, at varying circumstances

i rose up from the seat while driving and noticed that this was the exact same stalling out that i have been experiencing all the long.
i have isolated the seat safety switch and bypassed it.
it seems that the problem might be solved. i have not gotten it to stall out since eliminating the seat safety switch.
is it possible that i might not be heavy enough to consistently trip the seat safety switch? I am 170#.
the switch is right in the center of the seat. as i sit on the seat all my weight seems to be carried by my thighs on either side of the safety switch.

thanks.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well I know on my little beast you have to be all the way back in the seat other wise it shuts off even with my fat arse in it:D

jds

Equipment
Dec 13, 2013
clinton mo
Just ran it for an hour or more...seat switch disabled...no stalling...99% sure problem is solved. I will be installing a bypass switch for the seat switch so I can turn it off and on at will.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Instead of installing a bypass switch on a brand new tractor and voiding the warranty for future problems, make the dealer fix the safety switch. It could be a bad switch or it is not adjusted right. Either way, it is the dealers responsibility to fix it under warranty.

Upfoldp

Oct 22, 2018
Hong kong
I have the exact same problem with a L3540 HST
When fwd or reverse the engine will stall
This problem are intermittent
Please help
Thanks

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
If you have a seat that can be adjusted for weight try slacking it off a bit to allow it the drop down further to activate the switch.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Grand L 60 OPC switch issue. Easy fix, really easy.

But since you've already decided to bypass it and take your (and possibly others') lives into your own hands by bypassing it, I can't (and won't) offer a suggestion how to fix it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey, lugbolt the guy bypassing the switch was a few years ago.

Post up the "easy fix" for the new guy with the same problem!