BX22 Differential Inspection?

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Short of pulling the transaxle, is there a way of inspecting what might be in the bottom of the differential housing? Pieces of gears, the differential lock etc?

While operating the tractor this weekend I had earlier used the differential lock and while I was in a turn I heard a pop that sounded internal and kind of deep. The Differential lock was not engaged or at least my foot wasn't pressing the lock while I was making the turn.

After hearing the pop I looked beneath the tractor and didn't see any fluid leaking. When I got done with what I was doing with the tractor, probably another 10 minutes of work I drove the tractor probably a 1/4 mile back to where I had the truck and trailer parked.

I've searched and seen the horror storied of differential cases getting busted from the inside out but couldn't find anything about possible inspection access before a total teardown.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Short of pulling the transaxle, is there a way of inspecting what might be in the bottom of the differential housing? Pieces of gears, the differential lock etc?

While operating the tractor this weekend I had earlier used the differential lock and while I was in a turn I heard a pop that sounded internal and kind of deep. The Differential lock was not engaged or at least my foot wasn't pressing the lock while I was making the turn.

After hearing the pop I looked beneath the tractor and didn't see any fluid leaking. When I got done with what I was doing with the tractor, probably another 10 minutes of work I drove the tractor probably a 1/4 mile back to where I had the truck and trailer parked.

I've searched and seen the horror storied of differential cases getting busted from the inside out but couldn't find anything about possible inspection access before a total teardown.
Riddle me this ......

IF you were to place your hand on the diffy lock now, do you feel as if it is doing anything? If you engage the diffy lock, does the tractor bite with both rears?

To answer the real question - I am not sure you can inspect the pin without getting into the differential.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I didn't have the need to use the diff lock finishing what I was doing. I'm kinda scared to use it now.

I'm trying to see if I can be a little proactive with out having to remove the entire transaxle. So, I'm guessing you cant see down in to the diff housing with the pto cover off?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may be able to use a Bluetooth inspection camera. They have some with LED lights on the camera and fairly stiff cables you can snake into the bottom of the cavity.

Google inspection camera to see examples. They are not too expensive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ehenry

Equipment
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Snake in to the bottom of the cavity from where? That's the question.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Jack up one side, engauge the lock wheels should be locked together. ;)

ehenry

Equipment
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Wolfman, I'll do that this afternoon and see what happens. Lord I hope its not broken. I can drop the transaxle if I have to but I'd have to draw the line at opening it up.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Wolfman, I'll do that this afternoon and see what happens. Lord I hope its not broken. I can drop the transaxle if I have to but I'd have to draw the line at opening it up.
When you jack up the rear......with the diffy lock UNLOCKED.....spin one rear tire, the other should spin backwards.....then (gonna need help perhaps) hold the diffy lock DOWN and spin, both should go the same way. DO this in neutral.
Holding the lock and spinning the tire and looking at the other tire might be hard to do!;)

Report back what you find out

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Sometimes after taking my foot off the diff lock it does not release immediately. A couple of seconds later, usually while turning, it will release itself with a loud bang. First couple of times it knocked a jump out of me. It is just the pedal hitting the bottom of the floor or its stop. Hopefully yours just did the same thing

ehenry

Equipment
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Here is what I've done to try and test things.....I engaged all three pto positions, hi/lo range gears, forward/reverse, 4wd, 2wd and put FEL against a pine tree and in low range watched it spin the left rear wheel then engaged diff lock and both rear wheels spun. after I tested everything I could think of. I moved some trailers around while I had the tractor running and all seemed to be ok. I didn't hear any noises but then a BX22 is a noisy thing and I'm deaf as a post so we will see. When the PTOs were engaged everything seemed as smooth as it always has been. 3ph raised and lowered normally and the FEL did as well.

So, I don't know what else to do other than use the little tractor and see what happens. Unless someone knows of a way to see in to the bottom of the differential housing to look for pieces with out pulling the transaxle and taking the right side of the differential off.

Last edited: