BX 1870 Want to add inline fuel shut off

Still mowen in Ct

Equipment
BX 1870,Mowing 54 inch belly,FEL for snow and fire wood hauling
Apr 23, 2017
tolland cnty ct
BX 1870(500hrs)Inline fuel Shut off add on

Want to wait til deck comes of in a few weeks
If I recall from being under there in the Spring procedure will need to go something like this:

Cant get at tank outlet to add a longer fuel line (which the mfg didnt do) so will need to TRY to get enough slack to pinch it off and install the valve where the existing filter is then add some hose and replace the filter ??
If I recall slack will be slim or none.

Cant find an inline coupler designed for fuel in town.
Did find a plastic sizable(cut to size) vacuum hose coupler(NAPA) that will fit but dont want diesel eating it up so I am concerned about putting it in ?

Found a Plastic Brigg & S shut off valve at NAPA also.

Would like metal for both items & concerned if plastic is OK,would like metal for all.

If I remember correctly it wont be much fun because I couldn’t get enough slack out of the tank side of the hose to replace the filter in the spring so I said screw it and now(end of season) at High RPM with the 54 inch deck engaged she boggs down in high grass.
If I can add this valve,move the filter forward some for easy replacement I will replace it every spring when the deck goes on.

Upper one is not a prob.

Runs fine no load on the PTO figure its starving for fuel and want to replace those filters before it goes below 32 around here.

I am 70 just had Carpal T Surg on the mane claw and aint looking forward to this but needs to be done.
Limited tools, just a regular home owner with 5 acres to mow, fire wood to move and snow to hump around at the street side RFD mail box
Dealer wants 112 an hour to com out here and do it and I am sure wont ad any modifications.

They did it at 50 hrs under warranty. Not sure how he got the slack didnt watch. Wonder if he even did it?
Hrs and date are written on the filter so who knows?

Any one that has done this please chime in especially in the parts dept if I can get stuff on line.

Thank You

kevinj

Equipment
L3940hstc - B7500hst - BX1860 - Farmall 560D - Farmall M
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
Re: BX 1870 Want 2 add inline fuel shut off

Stainless valve & brass barbs.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Adding a shut off valve will add some slack in your line. No need for the dealer to come out. It's a pretty simple process.

If your adding an in line shut off valve they are really easy. All you need to know is the inside diameter of the hose so you can make sure and get the proper hose barbs.

Crimp the fuel line closed close to the fuel tank with either a set of pliers made to Clamp a line shut, or a pair of vise grips. Just be careful not to puncture the line. A couple popsicle sticks works good along with the vise grips to prevent line damage. Then cut the line allowing for enough room for a hose barb to slide into the hose.

Slide a hose clamps on both hose ends. Push the hose barb into one end. Slide your hose clamp up and tighten it.

Repeat process on the other side :) remove the the vise grips.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Still mowen in Ct

Equipment
Apr 23, 2017
tolland cnty ct

Adding a shut off valve will add some slack in your line. No need for the dealer to come out. It's a pretty simple process.

If your adding an in line shut off valve they are really easy. All you need to know is the inside diameter of the hose so you can make sure and get the proper hose barbs.

Crimp the fuel line closed close to the fuel tank with either a set of pliers made to Clamp a line shut, or a pair of vise grips. Just be careful not to puncture the line. A couple popsicle sticks works good along with the vise grips to prevent line damage. Then cut the line allowing for enough room for a hose barb to slide into the hose.

Slide a hose clamps on both hose ends. Push the hose barb into one end. Slide your hose clamp up and tighten it.

Repeat process on the other side :) remove the the vise grips.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks, my problem is/was when I had the deck off last Winter and was under there with the intention to replace the filter I couldn't get enough slack from the tank side to get duckbill or anything else on the hose to clamp it off and dont want a face full of #2 D

If I could have I would have changed it out at that time. I said screw it will revisit the situation in Fall or have the dealer do it. Now loosing power I am up against the wall.I want to also drain some fuel into a container to inspect a decent sample of the existing fuel thats in the tank but need to be able to clamp the line to control it when that fuel starts flowing.

If it was easy I would replace the entire line from the tank to the 1st filter area under the thing and add enough line and valve to make filter replacements easy.

Mfg must put these lines and filters in before they drop the cowling on the tractor and dont care if they are accessible after its off the assembly line and this one is tight.
Pulling the tank does mot appear to be a minor ordeal and I am not into this tractor maintenance stuff,got other things I like to do and rally not pleased with this entire filter set up to start.

Still looking and cant find a brass or stainless valve.
Plastic ones at 2 lawn centers and NAPA, but concerned about diesel eating it up although the filters are plastic, but the same grade, who knows ???
Any thoughts on that and where to find a metal one ?
Another poster suggested Stainless,great but where to find one,I cant!
If I can have all the parts in hand,Valve,extra line and Brass Barbs, I may tackle it this Fall.

Thanks again

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I did this a while back - getting the fuel out of the tank was the worst part. I did not want to crush the fuel line on back of filter #1.

I ran down to about 1/2 gallon of fuel. Jacked up machine safely. Took kick plate off (this was a pita too!) and then had an empty fuel tank ready. Pulled off line where met pump. allow fuel to drain from tank into fuel. plugged fuel from dripping back from pump too.

ordered one of these with small hose clamps :

https://www.amazon.com/Fityle-Durab...qid=1540125826&sr=8-8&keywords=8mm+ball+valve

as Daren said, once done - you will too much fuel line, and will need to tie off line to underside somewhere safe and secure. Cutting the line was not needed but you could, making sure everything laid flat and tied back was not hard either. Have your new filter already hooked up once you get to reconnecting everything back.

Once reconnected - turn key for 30 seconds....glow...... then start, should purge all air out of line.

kevinj

Equipment
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan

Great idea,now where to find a stainless or brass valve, any suggestions ?
I cant find one anywhere on line or local??
They should be online or just go to your local fluid power supply, a good hardware, hvac supply. These are common off the shelf parts.

Still mowen in Ct

Equipment
Apr 23, 2017
tolland cnty ct

I need barbed non threaded, rubber lines and non-lead brass.
Calling these guys linked below in the AM, looking for just one ea
If no go will get what posters #7 and 8 suggested(thanks 7&8)
Pissed away 3 hours looking again locally and no one knows what I am talking about;
"5/16 ID barbed in line shut off valve"

https://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite38fuelin-lineshutoffvalves-1.aspx

kevinj

Equipment
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan

Those will work, easy to screw the barbs into a valve too

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I need barbed non threaded, rubber lines and non-lead brass.
Calling these guys linked below in the AM, looking for just one ea
If no go will get what posters #7 and 8 suggested(thanks 7&8)
Pissed away 3 hours looking again locally and no one knows what I am talking about;
"5/16 ID barbed in line shut off valve"

https://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite38fuelin-lineshutoffvalves-1.aspx
If you can wait 2-3 days........that one from amazon will do the trick, and all for $4 :D;)

https://www.amazon.com/Fityle-Durab...qid=1540125826&sr=8-8&keywords=8mm+ball+valve