Lessons learned

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
I hope this can help others. I've been fighting a jerky 3 point on my B2400 for several months now.:confused: Thanks to Idaho Wolfman, I was able to settle it a bit by adjusting the feedback rod, but the jerk was still there. Long story short, I asked a tractor guy at work about the issue and he asked me what kind of trans/hyraulic filter I was running. I told him NAPA Gold (WIX). He told me to try a genuine Kubota filter to see if that helped the problem. Not only did it help the problem, it eliminated the jerk totally.:D Only OEM Kubota filters for me from now on.

P.S. The tractor guy that suggested the filter change was a John Deere guy. Go figure! :D

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Did you cut open the filter to see what was plugging it up? Or is a Napa Gold filter designed so different than OEM to cause a problem?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Did you cut open the filter to see what was plugging it up? Or is a Napa Gold filter designed so different than OEM to cause a problem?
As a NAPA filter user, I would like an answer to your question too. If the jerky problem came about over time, I would have a hard time suspecting the filter.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hydraulic filters on Kubota's tend to be very specialized.
I have seen several filter cross numbers that were just a way different filter designs.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Based on that video though , what differences in filter construction would cause ops problem then fix? The bypass spring as opposed to the disk that Kubota has?

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
On this Messick's video of compared hyd. filters he says the NAPA filter cost more than the Kubota filter
I'm sure most know NAPA = Wix. My jobber quoted me more for my 4 filters in Wix vs. Messicks delivering genuine to my door. I never thought the OE Kubota filters were priced out of line.

Same deal with my 6-71 Detroit oil & fuel filters. OE was cheaper from Penn Detroit Diesel than Wix.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
But Flip, you have to compare the same size filter for the NAPA to Kubota price comparison! Obviously, larger tractors use greater volumes of fluids and have larger filters.

My little L4240 (as compared to your big boys) use a hydraulic filter (#HHTA0-37710) which costs $45.72 today, so you're probably cost much more than that.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
I go with what I know.. OEM Filters & Fluids here..

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
As a NAPA filter user, I would like an answer to your question too. If the jerky problem came about over time, I would have a hard time suspecting the filter.
The problem didn't come about over time. It happened immediately after using my rear blade to push some brush onto the burn pile. Fine one minute, pulsing the next. I replaced the cylinder wiper and o-ring to no avail. Replaced the Napa filter with the Kubota, and problem is gone...as in I moved a 600 pound fireplace insert today with my boom pole and not even a shimmy.
I just put this post on here to help others that may be having a similar problem as a possible starting point instead of chasing good money after bad replacing parts. Wasn't trying to start a pissin' contest. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dunslandloy, I appreciate your post. Everyone has an opinion, however your personal experience has much more value.

Seems simple enough, you can (maybe) save a few dollars with an aftermarket filter, but if the filter doesn't do the job you have to replace it and possibly have mechanical problems. So whether it is the metal in the canister, the filter media, the check valve...doesn't make matter if it does not do the intended job one time... don't gamble again!

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Ouch. I'm currently running WIX filters on my G5200's. At $4 something each on Rock Auto, it was hard to pass up. Kubota filters for these were around $30 if I am not mistaken.

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
Dunslandloy, I appreciate your post. Everyone has an opinion, however your personal experience has much more value.

Seems simple enough, you can (maybe) save a few dollars with an aftermarket filter, but if the filter doesn't do the job you have to replace it and possibly have mechanical problems. So whether it is the metal in the canister, the filter media, the check valve...doesn't make matter if it does not do the intended job one time... don't gamble again!
I will use nothing but Kubota from now on. Every filter on it is Kubota branded now. :)

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
Agreed...The Kubota filters are reasonably priced and other than having to order online or going to the dealer vs the local NAPA there's no reason not to use them. I suspect that the NAPA filter inhibits flow in a HST application. They are good filters and i use them on everything else i own, they are WIX filters. But some things you need to stick with OEM. I had a jeep wrangler that the Napa filter would cause a check engine light related to the 2 stage oil pump having to kick into high when it shouldn't of needed to, the OEM filter corrected that also.

JG