l2250 clutch and main seal

hedgeapple

Equipment
l2250
Apr 22, 2019
Sedgwick, Ks
I had dark oil coming from the clutch housing and figured it had to be main seal. Split tractor and replaced friction disks, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, rear main seal and adjusting bolts on clutch fingers. Put it all back together and started it up. With clutch pedal fully depressed all was well. Started releasing clutch pedal and about halfway up there was a serious knocking sound. Clutch pedal fully released, the knock mostly went away. Then the oil leak came back. Anybody else experience such a thing? Ideas on what went wrong?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You've got something installed wrong, and the fluid is Hydraulic fluid, not motor oil, that would have been black.

Pull it apart and start posting pictures of what you see. ;)

hedgeapple

Equipment
l2250
Apr 22, 2019
Sedgwick, Ks
Update..Yes, the oil is black. I'll be more precise from here on out. I noticed when I replaced the crank seal that there was a significant amount of movement in the crank shaft up and down. When it was apart the second time, I measured the movement with a dial indicator and got a reading of 0.015 up and down.
Put it all back together and paid close attention to how it went back together and verified clearances on adjustments. I used previous witness marks to reassemble the clutch.
Knock was greatly reduced. It seems to be leaking engine oil. The oil is clear as it was a fresh fill.
Any thoughts?
thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Update..Yes, the oil is black. I'll be more precise from here on out. I noticed when I replaced the crank seal that there was a significant amount of movement in the crank shaft up and down. When it was apart the second time, I measured the movement with a dial indicator and got a reading of 0.015 up and down.
Put it all back together and paid close attention to how it went back together and verified clearances on adjustments. I used previous witness marks to reassemble the clutch.
Knock was greatly reduced. It seems to be leaking engine oil. The oil is clear as it was a fresh fill.
Any thoughts?
thanks.
When you say up and down are you talking against the sides of the seals, if so, you will need a rebuild as the bearings are shot.

If the movement is in and out then still might need a rebuild as the thrust bearings sound worn.

Did you replace all three gaskets on the rear cover when you replaced the main seal?

hedgeapple

Equipment
l2250
Apr 22, 2019
Sedgwick, Ks
Thanks for the input. You confirmed my assessment. And it looks as if the head comes off, pistons come out and then crank out the back. No chance of just rolling in new mains.

hedgeapple

Equipment
l2250
Apr 22, 2019
Sedgwick, Ks
Another update.
Removed crank shaft. Found that rear main bearing has spun in the bearing case, 19202-07090. That case has been discontinued and I cannot find one. Anybody got any suggestions on what to do next? thanks.