BX1880 Rodents chewed through Hydraulic Fluid hose?

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
I own new BX1880 and when I went to pull it out for some spring cleanup, it spit hydraulic fluid all over under the tractor. It looks like a rodent chewed through the reservoir return line hose to the hydraulic fluid tank (where you fill it up). It is a black hose with a red line on it and it looks like fuel line. It runs right under the gas tank. I am not able to reach it, or I would attempt to repair it myself.

At any rate, I them stumbled upon this:
https://www.classaction.org/media/burgess-properties-v-kubota-tractor-corporation.pdf

Are there known issues with the hoses and wiring of these devices and rodents getting at the wires and hoses?

Is there an easy way to change out this hose?

The parts diagram says it is a fuel hose, but it was hydraulic fluid that leaked out, because the fluid is empty and i can see the hose chewed in half inside the wheel well. it looks like the gas tank has to come up in order to get to it. Looks like Part # 120. I have just started the process of contacting the dealer asking if they can come get the tractor. I also need my first 50 hour service, so I am asking them to take care of that, as well.

UPDATE:
This is resolved. The dealer picked up the tractor and took care of the repair under warranty. They cited that the hose had ruptured, and it was replaced with a metal tube when i received the tractor back. I was so thrilled with the dealer and the repair bill, that i ordered a box blade.

Last edited:

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
You might look into rodent resistant sleeves. Sort of a tubed barbed wire for rodents.

They will chew anything. Cars, tractors, house electrical wiring.

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
No, it is not insured through KTAC. I have it insured through my home owners as a named item and is only used non-commercially for maintaining my 10 acre home. I will likely pay the repair out of pocket and pay attention to the lawsuit for reimbursement. It looks like quite a bit has to come off to access that hose. It does not look to be pressurized, as it looks like a gas line hose. I bet a simple barbed hose splice would repair it, but I can't reach anything I own in there to get at it - even long reach needle nose pliers won't cut it.

If the hoses and wires all made with soy products and attract the rodents, I was just wondering how much of an issue it is. We keep bait and traps in the outbuilding, but this is the first item we have ever had them mess with, and it was parked next to a slew of other equipment.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
ROdent chewed wiring is a major and well known hazard. You can search the forum for defenses. Rolling can traps, socks with mothballs etc. Cats are good.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Don't look new to me.. Looks dirty...lol Get a cat, issue solved.

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
ROdent chewed wiring is a major and well known hazard. You can search the forum for defenses. Rolling can traps, socks with mothballs etc. Cats are good.
This is my first tractor. None of this was covered by my dealer. None of my other equipment is having issues. This may have been well known on your end, but I've never had this type of issue before, and we live in the country and had I known the wiring and hoses were all soy based or that this was a fairly common problem, I could have taken precautions to prevent this type of costly repair. I am not thrilled this was not disclosed upon purchase, because I either would have bought something else, or taken steps to prevent it.

I already have bait and traps in the outbuilding, and I see quite a few owners who leave their tractors outside and uncovered.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Just my own opinion but, I think pointing the finger at the dealer is a bit of a stretch. I only mentioned the KTAC insurance because it's a crazy policy that covers just about anything.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
This is my first tractor. None of this was covered by my dealer. None of my other equipment is having issues. This may have been well known on your end, but I've never had this type of issue before, and we live in the country and had I known the wiring and hoses were all soy based or that this was a fairly common problem, I could have taken precautions to prevent this type of costly repair. I am not thrilled this was not disclosed upon purchase, because I either would have bought something else, or taken steps to prevent it.

I already have bait and traps in the outbuilding, and I see quite a few owners who leave their tractors outside and uncovered.
I live in the country and so does Sheepfarmer. You live close enough you can drive down and I'll give you a mouser for free. Visit Cabelas too.

I think you'll find that most of your wiring and hoses in your car are soy based as well, if it's a fairly new model. Both of mine (soon to be 3) sit in an unheated outbuilding all the time but I have a couple cats in there too. Keeps the vermin level down. Only downside is paw prints on the hoods.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just my own opinion but, I think pointing the finger at the dealer is a bit of a stretch. I only mentioned the KTAC insurance because it's a crazy policy that covers just about anything.
More like wistful thinking.

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
I'm not pointing the finger at the dealer. I am confident some type of rodent caused the damage, not the dealer - unless the hose somehow ruptured or got caught on something under there, which is possible, but unlikely.

If anything, Kubota Corporation is more at fault, since they swapped over to Soy based products for cost savings. Many of the automotive companies that did something similar, also added preventative additives to the wire sheathing, hoses, etc to deter rodent issues. The unfortunate part is that the dealer did not disclose this was a fairly common issue, but the lawsuit is going after the manufacturer, not the dealer. I'm not even part of the lawsuit - it just came up when I googled similar issues with BX tractors.

Either way, I need to get my tractor fixed, and I'm not sure what is involved in getting to that hose ($5 part). Does the whole rear of the tractor need to come off and gas tank need to come up to replace it? The hose is basically right under the gas tank, so whatever is needed to lift the gas tank is needed to access this hose.

I am just trying to ballpark the repair bill so I know what I'm facing. Either way, I need the tractor working to maintain the property. Bad luck is bad luck. Now I know, and I'll take preventative measures against rodents and this machine, but like I said, this was the only machine that had rodent issues, and they were all parked next to each other.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I can show you a 5 gallon bucket that has been chewed on by rodents. It has a notch chewed from the top about 2" wide and 3" deep. It had hydraulic oil in it originally. It's easy to see the gnawing mark from their teeth.

I can also show you a 2" dia. drain hose on a 300 gal spray tank. The tank has been used for spraying chemicals like Tordon, 24D, Remedy, and that hose has a chunk eaten out of it... looks like Abe Lincoln went at it with an axe.

It's all part of living in the country in such an affluent society. If we were poorer the rats would all be in the trash dump looking for something to survive on, and so would we!!:D

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
I am not disputing any of that. I known the damage rodents cause. However, this building already had bait and traps in it. The rest of the machinery is untouched. I do believe that the soy based products attracted the rodents to this particular machine.

In any event I need to fix it. This is a tech forum, so I was asking about the repair and how much is involved with it for anyone who has taken that part of the tractor down, or is familiar with the process. It looks like quite a bit needs to be unbolted to lift the gas tank.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Well, you're right. There is a fair amount that will need to come off to gain access. However, you won't be getting into anything complicated. Use your phone to take lots of pictures and have Kubota's exploded diagrams printed off. While you have things exposed, put a fuel shut-off valve between the tank and the first fuel filter for convenience down the road. If you are like most of us, time is in short supply but don't rush the job.