BX2380 - Power loss?

tomtractor

Equipment
BX2380
Apr 22, 2019
NJ
I thought I was going crazy last month when my BX had trouble pulling my empty 12ft trailer up a moderate incline. I had to go up to about 4000 RPMs at full throttle to make it. Then this weekend I was taking off my driveover mower deck and I couldn't make it up the ramps. I was in 4 wheel drive at full power and moved as far forward as I could go to get some momentum going in reverse before I hit the ramps. I was eventually able to get over using the FEL to lift up the tractor, but I never had to do that before.

I checked the hydro fluid and it's full - what else should be on my checklist? I've read about clogged fuel filters, but it's not stalling and having no trouble revving up so I don't think that's the problem.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What range is your HST in?

High or low?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You might want to check your fuel filter, for water or sediment or just gunk will block them up and it might run fine but when you load it up you cannot get all the fuel you need,,,
Also fresh fuel might be a bit of a problem,
Your first filter is under the tractor a bit of a PIA to get to,, left side up on the frame, when you change it DO NOT I repeat DO NOT do anything with the silver thing,,, that is your lift pump leave it alone,,, change the back one and then up front on the side of the motor is the second filter, yes it has 2 filters.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The next thing to check is...

make sure your parking brake isn't on...I know it sounds dumb, but, we've all done it. ;)

even if it's been applied lightly or hanging up, it will make high range effort very difficult. Put it on level surface in neutral and see if you can give the machine a push.

tomtractor

Equipment
BX2380
Apr 22, 2019
NJ
Well that could be an easy obvious fix to check the range.. I'll check when I get home. I'll double check that the parking brake isn't hanging up too and give it a push in my garage.

It's probably one of these easy items, but if neither one I'll check the fuel filter. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

tomtractor

Equipment
BX2380
Apr 22, 2019
NJ
Update: Good news and bad news. Bad news is that I'm dumb, good news is that I just needed to put it in low. It crawled up the ramps at about 2000 RPMs. Oh well, I'd rather be dumb then have something wrong with the tractor. It's obvious looking at the lever now, but I didn't realize it had a transfer case. I put 5% of the blame on Kubota for using a rabbit/turtle instead of labeling hi/lo.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
This might also be a good time to mention the not-so-intuitive aspect of an HST transmission.

While under load, pushing the pedal further does NOT increase power....it's not a gas pedal. Instead, one needs to back off the pedal to catch up to the load. Think of the HST pedal as your gear shifter, where barely pushing pedal is first gear, and pushing the pedal all the way down is high gear.

It's easy to think of the HST pedal as a gas pedal, as it kind of works this way with no load. But working under load, it's the exact opposite.

Just something to consider for those new to HST's. Could save some frustration later. :)

tomtractor

Equipment
BX2380
Apr 22, 2019
NJ
@dalola - Thanks for that info, I hadn't thought of the pedal as a gear changer before. For the ramps I had the pedal low and throttle high, but I'm betting when I was trying to tow I was pushing harder on the pedal.

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
This might also be a good time to mention the not-so-intuitive aspect of an HST transmission.

While under load, pushing the pedal further does NOT increase power....it's not a gas pedal. Instead, one needs to back off the pedal to catch up to the load. Think of the HST pedal as your gear shifter, where barely pushing pedal is first gear, and pushing the pedal all the way down is high gear.

It's easy to think of the HST pedal as a gas pedal, as it kind of works this way with no load. But working under load, it's the exact opposite.

Just something to consider for those new to HST's. Could save some frustration later. :)

A great explanation of this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux9PiYwXLJM

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

dalola - meant to thank you for posting that the other day. :)

I intended to, but didn't have time when I asked if he was high or low range. Control of the HST pedal more clearly explains the issue, when combined with range selection.

Very important information, and you said it very well.:cool:

@dalola - Thanks for that info, I hadn't thought of the pedal as a gear changer before. For the ramps I had the pedal low and throttle high, but I'm betting when I was trying to tow I was pushing harder on the pedal.
tom - besides the hi/lo issue, pedal usage is also a common frustration new HST owners have. We see it here on OTT quite often.

Next time you see someone here with complaints similar to yours, you will be able to point them in the right direction!:)

Remember both parts; range selection as well as pedal control like dalola explained! :cool:

Last edited: