Coolant expansion tank

JayAndrew

Equipment
BX2680 Loader and snow blower
Feb 2, 2019
Woodstock, NB, Canada
Hi,

I’ve made a few posts. I now have approximately 22 hrs on my Kubota BX2680.

I’ve noticed the coolant was down below the low mark in the expansion tank at approximately 17 hrs so I contacted Kubota.
The salesman came an topped off the expansion tank with what looked to be a reddish-pink coolant, to around the high mark in the expansion tank.

I have been monitoring the level regularly.

Now at 22 hrs there is no pink liquid only green and the level is approximately 1/4” below the L when cool and at low mark when running. The level in the radiator has always been good.

I’ve since watched a official Kubota video on the topic. And the man in the video stated the level in the expansion tank should only be at or slightly above the low mark.

Any ideas what might be going on here? I do not want the coolant leaking into the head gasket as there are no signs of any visible leaks on my garage floor. Also is there a test that can be done?

I also live in a climate where there can be temperature fluctuations of up to 30 degrees.

Thanks a lot

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
..... Any ideas what might be going on here?
It is not clear to me exactly what you are asking about:

Any engine which has recently had new antifreeze filled is EXPECTED to pull some out of the expansion-tank. This is because trapped air (even microscopic bubbles) in the new antifreeze eventually works its way out the hose, into the expansion-tank and into atmosphere. The displaced bubbles is replaced with antifreeze from the expansion-tank each time the engine cools.

Also - The level in the expansion-tank is EXPECTED to go up as engine heats up... then suck down as engine cools. After about 10-20 heat-cool cycles, the level WITH COLD ENGINE should remain the same in expansion-tank.

Also is there a test that can be done?
Again, it is not clear to me what you wish to test for. If you are asking about head-gasket leakage... there are SEVERAL tests.
1) Hard to start engine with puff of white steam out exhaust when started. (because antifreeze is pushed into cylinder when engine is shut down)
2) physical leakage on outside of engine.
3) Antifreeze can be tested for hydrocarbons which may indicate combustion-gasses within. (This type of HG leakage is often accompanied by the expansion-tank OVERFLOWING due to pushing antifreeze out of the engine)

JayAndrew

Equipment
Feb 2, 2019
Woodstock, NB, Canada
Thanks for the response.

I guess what I was asking is:

What may have happened to the coolant that was added to the expansion tank?

Could it have been punched out an overflow?

Also should I top off to the L and with distilled water or coolant?

Thanks

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
ANY new watercooled engine will experience coolant-dropping during the first 10-20 heat/cool cycles. EVERY new car I have ever bought needed coolant topped-up at the first service-interval.

What may have happened to the coolant that was added to the expansion tank?
Again... as the engine heats up... fluid is pushed into tank... as it cools, vacuum sucks fluid from the tank. In other words, the fluid in the tank is EXCHANGED with that in the cooling-system.

Could it have been punched out an overflow?
Dobut it.... is not your Kubota nearly new? As I said before, your engine is still burping the microscopic bubbles.

Also should I top off to the L and with distilled water or coolant?
Under NORMAL conditions, the water will evaporate out of the antifreeze, hence topping-up should be with distilled water.
HOWEVER: For your new engine, there has not been time-enough for this to happen. Personally, I would top up with COMPATABLE antifreeze until the level with COLD ENGINE settles out.

There is a 'test' which can tell you the strength of your antifreeze. Using the results of this test, you can determine what should be used to top off (water -or- antifreeze)

WARNING: There are several different 'recipes' for antifreeze. They are NOT COMPATIBLE with each other and will form gell which can plug up the engine cooling passages. NEVER MIX INCOMPATIBLE ANTIFREEZE!!!

Last edited:

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
Check you expansion tank cap. There’s a recall to have them replaced due to the vent hole blocked from the manufacturing process. Mine was doing what yours was and after I cleared the hole out (by hand) with a drill bit ,it stabilized.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
MY ZD1211 was using some coolant. I think it has stopped. It only has 17 hours on it so I am not 100% sure.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Only thing I'm puzzled about is the red / green coolant. Normally red (long life) and green (ethylene glycol) don't mix. In fact they cause a reaction that produces sludge.

JayAndrew

Equipment
Feb 2, 2019
Woodstock, NB, Canada
I really don***8217;t know either. I know it was a different colour and there is actually still some around the cap. I remember looking after he toped it off. I thought it was strange but I didn***8217;t question it as, I assuming it was under the direction of the mechanic.

JayAndrew

Equipment
Feb 2, 2019
Woodstock, NB, Canada
Here are 3 picks I took at lunch.
shows coolant color-added to original green.
coolant level in expansion. I will top up.
and stupid question: should this hose be connected or is this where excess is drained onto ground?

Attachments

Last edited: