Kubota Super UDT fluid

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Wow talk about timing! My neighbor (a retired petroleum lubricants engineer for Exxon-Mobile) just changed the oils in BX... he used Kubota SUD2 oil. I asked him why he did not use an approved substitute.

I got a lecture. He rattled off API Codes and explained just because they are compatible does not mean they are the same. He said it boils down to the quality of the base oil and product specific additives in the oil. He said it was every man to his own so why take a chance.
That's the way I look at it Butch. I use Petro Canada Duron E synthetic in my engines and they also make a full synthetic Duratran UDT type fluid that is Kubota approved. But I just don't wanna chance it. It may be a better oil? But I know someone who had a new Massey and switched to it or a Shell product that was also approved by Agco and they immediately got an oil leak and had to have dealer change a seal. Coincidence? I don't know, but I'll stick to Kubota oil and filters.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Iffen I was going to use another hydro fluid in my Kubota it would be John Deere Hy-Gard. It works in their stuff so it should work in Kubota. Gotta pay attention with Deere as some machines say low viscosity Hy-gard only, and some you can use either in. Just saying.

Last edited:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I am going to use Shell's Rotella hydraulic fluid in my L245DT and backhoe. Any reason I should pay the dealer twice as much for UDT when the original manual said motor oil would do?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am going to use Shell's Rotella hydraulic fluid in my L245DT and backhoe. Any reason I should pay the dealer twice as much for UDT when the original manual said motor oil would do?
Little different situation - that is a 8 forward and 2 reverse gear box plus the hydraulic fluids for the hydraulic pump(s).....

I would imagine that hot bacon grease would lube the gears :);).....

however in a HST situation the game changes....... much like the transmission fluids we use to add to our ol Ford's, Chevy's and Dodge trucks back 30 years ago - you needed to use the correct one or bad things could/would happen.:)

The stress on the oils in a gear box are inherently different than those in a hydrostatic pump used for the transmission.:)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Little different situation - that is a 8 forward and 2 reverse gear box plus the hydraulic fluids for the hydraulic pump(s).....

I would imagine that hot bacon grease would lube the gears :);).....

however in a HST situation the game changes....... much like the transmission fluids we use to add to our ol Ford's, Chevy's and Dodge trucks back 30 years ago - you needed to use the correct one or bad things could/would happen.:)

The stress on the oils in a gear box are inherently different than those in a hydrostatic pump used for the transmission.:)
Exactly and good comparison with auto transmission fluids. A slushbox (auto tranny) is like a hydrostat except the slushbox has a fluid filled torque converter. The wrong fluid and it's toast.

Mine are all gear drive, all 3 so fluid choice is less critical. I use Chevron THC for it's cold weather viscosity but I could use the Shell Hydrauilc fluid as well. There are only 2 hydraulic packs (plus the wet brakes) in mine that require a VG32 fluid, the PTO clutch pack (which every Kubota tractor with a live PTO has and the hydraulic shuttle pack.

Certainly don't need mega priced SUDT or even UDT and I don't use either in my front axle gearcases or outboard planetary drives. I use 80-90-GL5 hypoid oil for it's better shock load ability.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
On a different note, SUDT2 full synthetic reduced the HST whine volume by about 50% when I changed over from what originally came in it (regular UDT). Well worth the extra few $ to save my ears.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
On a different note, SUDT2 full synthetic reduced the HST whine volume by about 50% when I changed over from what originally came in it (regular UDT). Well worth the extra few $ to save my ears.
Very interesting.

My G6200 will be due for a hydraulic fluid change soon.. I should try UDT2.

My only concern is that usually synthetic hydraulic fluids are a lighter viscosity so I'd rather keep what it came with from the factory or at least keep it as close as possible.

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Lots of good lubricants out there. If you want to play safe (warranty )just follow what your manual recommends. I can attest that even using Kubota oils you can still have seals go and problems . It’s a pain in the ass but just how she goes sometimes.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Only 'whining' I get is from my renters.:eek: