D722 injector pump advice needed

clee991

Equipment
Bobcat 2200 UTV w/ D722 Kubota Diesel
Apr 19, 2019
Walton,Ontario,Canada
First post here - looks like a great forum and already gained valuable insights - thanks!

I have a Bobcat 2200 UTV with a Kubota D722 engine with 1800hrs. Was starting (even in cold) and running clean without issues. FYI this unit has electric inline fuel pump and electric shutoff solenoid.

It suddenly wouldn't start. No sign of attempting to fire, just cranking at normal speed.

No flow at injectors when cranking.

Checked fuel supply by pulling the return line at the tank. There is flow but a bit anaemic so I changed both filters, topped the tank and added conditioner just to be sure. No sign of dirt, corrosion or water anywhere.

Cracked the fuel line at the banjo attachment to the injector pump. Now there is good flow there. Checked flow at the return to tank line - half a water bottle filled in 10-15 secs so good supply flow all round.

Cracked the banjo on the injector but no flow when cranking.

I pulled the solenoid from the front of the injection pump. With key to 'crank' position the solenoid extends and stays in that position. When the key is returned to 'off' position the solenoid retracts. This seems like normal behaviour.

Cracked the banjo on the injector but no flow when cranked.

Removed the fuel lines so I can see the fuel pump ports. Cranked over with little if any fuel spray from the ports. Aha.

It seems unlikely that all three fuel injector pumps would fail completely together. I wanted to check for broken idle or governor springs in the injection pump.

I tried removing the injection pump. It comes loose but won't lift out. I must be missing something and don't want to force it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Chris

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If the fuel flow is anemic at the tank before the filters, you might have debris in the tank, supply side not return side , slowing fuel flow. Take the line loose and blow air gently through it. That should move any clog back into the tank and allow normal flow for a while. If that puts it back to work, you might have to clean out the tank. Hopefully it's that simple.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
U wont get fuel at the banjos.. u hafta loosen the steel line.
& YES all 3 WILL go bad at the same time.. they run off a common rack that's stuck..
IF u have an access cover right below the inj. pump.??
Remove it & try to move the control rack back & forth, GENTLY..
But seeing u skipped THAT PART.. there is a "cut-out" in the engine block that will allow the pump to be removed.. & u HAVE TO hit that cut-out inorder for the pump to come up.. Google it. Theres lots of pictures of it.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
First post here - looks like a great forum and already gained valuable insights - thanks!

I have a Bobcat 2200 UTV with a Kubota D722 engine with 1800hrs. Was starting (even in cold) and running clean without issues. FYI this unit has electric inline fuel pump and electric shutoff solenoid.

It suddenly wouldn't start. No sign of attempting to fire, just cranking at normal speed.

No flow at injectors when cranking.

Checked fuel supply by pulling the return line at the tank. There is flow but a bit anaemic so I changed both filters, topped the tank and added conditioner just to be sure. No sign of dirt, corrosion or water anywhere.

Cracked the fuel line at the banjo attachment to the injector pump. Now there is good flow there. Checked flow at the return to tank line - half a water bottle filled in 10-15 secs so good supply flow all round.

Cracked the banjo on the injector but no flow when cranking.

I pulled the solenoid from the front of the injection pump. With key to 'crank' position the solenoid extends and stays in that position. When the key is returned to 'off' position the solenoid retracts. This seems like normal behaviour.

Cracked the banjo on the injector but no flow when cranked.

Removed the fuel lines so I can see the fuel pump ports. Cranked over with little if any fuel spray from the ports. Aha.

It seems unlikely that all three fuel injector pumps would fail completely together. I wanted to check for broken idle or governor springs in the injection pump.

I tried removing the injection pump. It comes loose but won't lift out. I must be missing something and don't want to force it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Chris
Have you checked for fuel delivery out of the fuel tank? All the pumps in the world won't deliver fuel if the supply is restricted.

You've done a pretty good job of diagnostics on the downstream part of the system but I usually start at the tank and work toward the IP because the usual cause for lack of sufficient fuel delivery are found at the tank outlet, the supply line to the filter(s), the filter(s) themselves, the lift pump, and on down the line. When all of them are proven not to be the problem then the solenoid and the IP maybe suspect.

clee991

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Walton,Ontario,Canada
@rentthis / @jerryMT out of an abundance of caution I have blown back through the inlet as you suggest - good low-pressure flow at all points from tank through the electric pump and return to the tank

@thepumpguysc attached the WSM page S35 I am working from. It shows the slot you have referenced but I still can't get it to line up. The pump lifts about 3/8" near the top of the studs but no further. This has a front mounted shutoff solenoid so I pulled that out to see if that interfered but no change.

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Yeah that's because the rack is stuck..
Is there some way of pulling the pump up far enough to see which way u have to move it.??
U could try blowing the fuel out of the inlet w/ compressed air & filling it back up w/ penetrating fluid.. ATF & Acetone mix.. & let it sit a day or 2.. & using the throttle & shut off, try to get the rack to move.. Good luck.

clee991

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Walton,Ontario,Canada
@thepumpguysc I can raise the IP far enough to get a piece of gas line under and fill the case with the ATF & Acetone mix. Just confirming that the IP case doesn't drain into anything else? Will I be able to clean out after and not contaminate where I shouldn't?

Not quite sure what you mean "U could try blowing the fuel out of the inlet w/ compressed air & filling it back up "Are you referring to the actual IP fuel inlet - the one with the banjo?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I can raise the IP far enough to get a piece of gas line under and fill the case with the ATF & Acetone mix.
NEGATIVE, you will be filling the entire engine with it, it's not a isolated space.

You need to remove the throttle plate off the front and remove the springs to remove, from there or the side inspection plate you can move the rack on the injection pump.

Do not remove parts of the injection pump if you've never done it, too many point to mess it up completely, you need to find someone trained to test and rebuild them. ;)

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Yes the actual inj. pump inlet.. NOT UNDER the inj. pump..
I think u better do as NI Wolfman says.. to get it off..
Just take LOTS OF PICTURES w/ your phone..
& once u get it off.. DONT TAKE IT APART..
U have no idea how it works & if u screw something up, it costs WAY MORE to fix.

clee991

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Walton,Ontario,Canada
Before any further disassembly, I probed the channel where the solenoid fits into with a chunk of stiff wire and confirmed that there is no movement which would be consistent with it stuck in shutoff position.

I lifted the speed control plate and removed the governor spring.

But now I am stuck. I can't see the end of the rack nor do I see a 'side inspection plate'

Would removing the bolt that I can see just inside the opening for the throttle plate (photo) be helpful? Does it secure the rack assembly inside the IP case? I don't see reference to it in the manual?

BTW - I have a good local shop for injector pump work and will not go any deeper that IP assembly removal.

Thanks for advice thus far - much appreciated!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Get some more light in the hole and take another picture or 4, and I'll try and point out the governor linkage to move to get the rack inline to pull the pump.

The other option is a pick under the pump to move the rack, but that's not easy either.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Isnt that the main control rack under/below the spring in your pics.??
If it is, it looks like u could take a screwdriver & "move" the rack a smidge to align the pump rack up w/ the cut-out..
DO NOT go w/ that idea until we hear from NIW.. to be honest I've never had the opportunity to explore that end of it.. So its just an observation.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The rack pin on that model is behind the pump, opposite side than your pictures.

This is the Governor arm that need to move to get the rack to move.

If you can't get to the governor arm or that arm is not engaging the pump rack use a tool like this to pull the rack forward into position to remove it.

Attachments

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Yea, like a long "hook scribe".. or a bent coat hanger..
I've worked on a few that were S T U C K, stuck.. & I had to take the pump apart IN-PLACE just to get it off the machine..
I SURE HOPE yours isn't that bad..
Have u been spraying penetrating fluid in the pump inlet.??
WHATEVER U DO, don't "bump" that engine w/ the starter w/ the pump loose.!!!

clee991

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Walton,Ontario,Canada
I could reach the governor arm with a finger and it moved very freely. Too freely.

I made a hook and fairly quickly found the pump rack and out popped the IP.

The rack was moving freely in the injection pump but every so often it would go tight at the extreme end of travel (away from the governor arm). I removed the plate holding the rack, cleaned it up. It fits loose but no obvious sign of wear that I can see. The individual injector knobs rotate freely. Lined everything up carefully and reassembled the rack. Seems to have eliminated the random stickiness.

Unfortunately, the governor spring got tweaked a bit so I will have to get another before reassembling.

I notice that the governor spring and governor arm are different from your diagram as well the manual I am working from. I added some photos here https://photos.app.goo.gl/RzFb3WoyFLVPT1339 It looks like the my governor arm just pushes the rack pin (doesn't have Y-type profile to engage the rack pin) and the idling adjusting spring (on the left) returns it by pushing on the end of the rack.

Also fyi anyone else working on one of these you need to remove the shutoff solenoid off the front since the unenergized solenoid pushrod sticks through into the end of the rack on the IP and will stop the IP from lifting out.

Have u been spraying penetrating fluid in the pump inlet.??
Yes

I will have to order a new governor spring on Monday and see how all this pans out when it arrives. I will update.

Thank you very much for sticking with me on this and for the detailed support. Hopefully we will be back in business shortly. The D722 is great little powerplant and has been reliable as a hammer until now.

Chris

Last edited:

clee991

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Walton,Ontario,Canada
Update - Bobcat dealer 0 for 2 on getting the right governor spring. Then Kubota dealer went 0 for 2 so far. Fifth attempt arriving next week through Kubota. We shall see. Doesn't reflect well on either company's parts systems.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Update - Bobcat dealer 0 for 2 on getting the right governor spring. Then Kubota dealer went 0 for 2 so far. Fifth attempt arriving next week through Kubota. We shall see. Doesn't reflect well on either company's parts systems.
Can you look it up on Kubota's illustrated parts list and give them the actual part numbers? I find it easier that way sometimes; particularly with small items.