bx 23s smoking white

gearjammer

Equipment
2019 bx 23s 2017 road king
Mar 7, 2018
boonville ny
my new bx 23s is smoking white on startup and under load its only got 20 hours on it any info would be helpful

gearjammer

Equipment
2019 bx 23s 2017 road king
Mar 7, 2018
boonville ny
dealer service tech came up today says nothing wrong with it I wasent here was at work wife said he didn't do any thing to it but it stopped smoking and running a lot better so he must of did something

Chilliwack Murray

Equipment
B7510 with loader and BH4672 backhoe, JD400 industrial Backhoe, B6100.
Jan 8, 2019
BC, Canada
A small amount of air entering the fuel system will give white or blue/grey smoke especially at light load and can be hard to detect.

This is actually very common and a small amount of air will not always prevent the injectors from opening but will delay it causing late timing which in turn causes low combustion temperature and smoke.

In 25 years working on diesel engines , at least 80% of the smoke complaints I’ve seen were air related. The best tool to diagnose this is a hand vacuum pump and a little clear line. Pull some fuel up the clear line and let it sit, if you start getting little bubbles, you’re pulling air in somewhere.

Could be the tech snugged up the clamps and filter as standard practice, that’s what I would do after trying to duplicate the symptom of course.