Trailer Length/Capacity MX5200

bullet225ho

Equipment
mx5200, land pride 6' rotary cutter, 48" pallet forks, Tarter 6' Rotary Tiller
Apr 19, 2019
Fort valley, GA
Hey folks,

I have a MX5200 with FEL. I didn't think I'd need a trailer and had the tractor delivered to my property last year. Well....low and behold, I have ton's of request to turn over a garden and also I do have a membership to a hunting club about 15miles away.

I'm looking to load the tractor with the FEL and 6' rotary tiller and also 6' land pride rotary cutter.

I think from research a 20' trailer is what I need but there are tons of them out there. What axles should I look for...brakes? I'm just new to the trailering of tractors.

Thanks a bunch

Brandon

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I have a mx5800. Same size as your mx5200. I measured from front of FEL blade to back of my rotary cutter & it was 24 feet. Was looking for a 25 ft trailer. Found a used 30 ft 25 + 5 dovetail with mega ramps or whatever it’s called to make 30 ft flat at a good price. Has 2x7k axles so 14k. Mines a gooseneck. Does a great job. Has brakes. I could have been fine with a 25 foot trailer but now can haul an extra implement or two if needed. I can really tell I have a load on but it’s sized for my equipment. Gooseneck turns much sharper than bumper pull. I gave $4800 for my trailer that was a year old. Wood floors & plenty of stake pockets to tie down chains. Get at least 25 ft and 12-14k with brakes and u should be good shape.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Would state driver's legislation start to require as special license to haul something over 3,000#? I only know about Canadian regs.

If you are going to buy a used trailer, get educated about trailer axles. Some unscrupulous companies in my accident investigator past were using mobile home axles on new trailers.

A child was killed when the axle broke at highway speed and the tire and wheel went through the windshield.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a mx5800. Same size as your mx5200. I measured from front of FEL blade to back of my rotary cutter & it was 24 feet. Was looking for a 25 ft trailer. Found a used 30 ft 25 + 5 dovetail with mega ramps or whatever it’s called to make 30 ft flat at a good price. Has 2x7k axles so 14k. Mines a gooseneck. Does a great job. Has brakes. I could have been fine with a 25 foot trailer but now can haul an extra implement or two if needed. I can really tell I have a load on but it’s sized for my equipment. Gooseneck turns much sharper than bumper pull. I gave $4800 for my trailer that was a year old. Wood floors & plenty of stake pockets to tie down chains. Get at least 25 ft and 12-14k with brakes and u should be good shape.
Electric or surge brakes?

Dave

Pburchett

Equipment
MX5200HST
May 7, 2016
South Central KY
I have the same tractor as you. I has a 18 foot trailer but it was too small. You will need a 22 foot minimum trailer. 24 foot will be better for placement of the tractor on the trailer to distribute the weight to where it needs to be.
You will also need one with two 7000 lb axles for a 14,000 lb trailer. The trailer will probably weigh about 3,500lbs. It will need brakes on both axles. I just bought a new one for $4205 and that included the spare tire/wheel.

Michael In Tennessee

Equipment
MX4800HST
Mar 14, 2018
Niota, TN
Hey folks,

I have a MX5200 with FEL. I didn't think I'd need a trailer and had the tractor delivered to my property last year. Well....low and behold, I have ton's of request to turn over a garden and also I do have a membership to a hunting club about 15miles away.

I'm looking to load the tractor with the FEL and 6' rotary tiller and also 6' land pride rotary cutter.

I think from research a 20' trailer is what I need but there are tons of them out there. What axles should I look for...brakes? I'm just new to the trailering of tractors.

Thanks a bunch

Brandon

It appears you would be approaching or exceeding 10,000 lbs gross trailer weight.

Firstly, what is the towing capacity of your vehicle? A typical half-ton truck would be at or past the limit, especially on tongue weight.

Secondly, (and I'm sure its state dependent) you might need a different license to tow that much weight. California would require a non-commercial Class A license. This would be required if the trailer is placarded for 10000+ lb whether or not you are actually hauling that much weight.

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
You will need approximately a 20' dual axle trailer, with each axle certified for 7000 lbs, giving the trailer axles a full 14,000 lb capacity. Most trailers of this size weigh 3500 lbs, giving you 10,500 lb remaining capacity. Make sure it has good electric brakes on this trailer. Projected costs are $3400 - $3800. You will need also need for safety, 4 sets of binders with chains, to properly secure and tie tractor down. Also get a 4 set of strap ties for any extra implements you are carrying...that are not attached to the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bullet225ho

Equipment
mx5200, land pride 6' rotary cutter, 48" pallet forks, Tarter 6' Rotary Tiller
Apr 19, 2019
Fort valley, GA
Thanks for the info folks.

I have a 1/2 ton crew cab standard bed GMC 4x4 with 5.3 (non max towing) and I see right now that even with the minimum trailer that I could put under my tractor and implements it probably wouldn't be real smart to be dragging all that weight around with a 1/2 ton truck.

My tow limit is 9500lbs. So I either need to get a smaller tractor/trailer combo or a higher capacity truck.

Dang....wasn't in the market for a truck.....but now I guess I am.

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Those tractors are great. Can do a lot in a little time and high capacity of power on FEL and 3 point. No cab needed for me here in Ga for what I do with it. It is heavy & the right equipment to haul it on will help u not be so tightened up on the seat while u are moving it. I moved mine twice on a very undersized trailer. Only 4 miles each way & the brush hog was hanging way past the end of a 16 foot trailer. I was a nervous wreck but was lucky & got to and from where I was going without messing up or wrecking. Whereas my gooseneck, I’d jump on the interstate in a heartbeat and run the limit. Just allow extra stopping distance anytime u haul yours.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
An MX with a loader, loaded rear tires, and a bush hog mower is over 7,000lbs.

I have one as well. Here is what I use:

Attachments

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I haul my MX4800 2 or 3 times a week. I have an IronMan 24' with 2x17k axels and electric brakes. It is a hydraulic tilt trailer, takes 5 minutes to load or unload. With my grapple or bucket and 6' LP rotary cutter the tail wheel sets just off the back. I haul it behind my Ford F250 Superduty pickup and have zero problems with it.
No need for four chains and four binders, i use two chains and one binder.
M

Attachments

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Whoa. Take a step back for a minute.

Problem: Some folks want you to turn over their gardens, plus there's an anecdotal possibility of using it on the hunting property.

Solution: $14,000 trailer plus a $40,000- $$80,000 proper truck.

You must be charging more for your tractor work than the customary $50 per hour? WAY more!

Abort mission soldier!

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
An MX is a heavy tractor, and it is important to make sure it is transported safely, that's all. Unfortunately, trailers heavy duty enough to haul this and trucks safely rated to pull this are expensive.

For reference, I just sold a 2015 Cam Superline equipment trailer, 18', tandem axles at 7k each, with the trailer rated for 16,100 GVW. The trailer itself weighs about 3,500lbs, so that leaves 12,600lbs of payload...well more than enough to transport an MX and some implements. I sold this trailer, in nice condition, for $4500...so you don't need $14k. Even my 30-foot Big Tex gooseneck didn't cost that much.

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
Whoa. Take a step back for a minute.

Problem: Some folks want you to turn over their gardens, plus there's an anecdotal possibility of using it on the hunting property.

Solution: $14,000 trailer plus a $40,000- $$80,000 proper truck.

You must be charging more for your tractor work than the customary $50 per hour? WAY more!

Abort mission soldier!
Well, no way the utility trailer is going to cost $14,000. Approximate price is $3,800. But the point is, if all this moves you up into a larger tow vehicle, then you need to re-evaluate your goals and strategy on this increasingly costly plan. Just my opinion, but your half ton pickup should be just fine for towing your tractor around your neighborhood.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk