FEL supports

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Anyone ever have issues with their FEL support stands failing? Mine seem to work just fine. Another Kubota owner I know would never take his FEL off due to concerns that the supports provided would not hold up. I explained that mine is off more than it is on and the supports do there job just fine. I bring this up because I drove by the other day and noticed his was off put he had all kinds of extra support to help hold up the FEL. To each his own so I didn't say anything, just thought it was a bunch of extra work for nothing.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Like you, mine is off more than on, but I've had no issues.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Benhameen,
Are you talking about the stand (legs) used to hold the arms up when the loader is off? I know the first time I saw the stand on mine I wondered if it was strong enough to hold it up. But I have no reservations in taking mine off.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The stands hold very little weight it's more of a balance act, I'm sure if they ever failed they would have redesigned them. ;)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Neighbor might have put down pressure on them when trying to get things ready for removal. Probably not built to carry any tractor load.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
They don't seem to hold much weight at all on my B2150. Mine were missing, so after asking about here and looking at pics on the web I made a set from common hot roll bar stock. Was just a bit too wide, so I cut a rabbit on one end for a good fit, and the shoulder prevents over insertion. Even with the fairly small footprint on the ground the supported the weight without digging in overly much when I removed the loader to split and install the clutch. Not knowing exactly how long it would be off, I did put some board scrap under it to keep it from sinking over time, but I got a sense that I could have lifted it and flipped it over with another guy holding the other arm. So IMO those 1/2" (IIRC?) bar stock arms aren't going to give in any reasonable scenario. However, if you tried to rock it out without clearing the pins and other restraints, the tractor hydraulics I believe are certainly capable of folding them up on my relatively limp-wristed B, much less an L or larger.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Yes I'm talking about the stands that hold it up while It's off the tractor. I too looked at it as if it's more of a balancing act vs holding up all the weight of the FEL. I was just curious if anyone had a problem with them, I personably have not. In fact they're doing there job just fine at the moment.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I was concerned with the loader bing tippy when off the tractor. I took mine off for the first time a month ago and I could put my weight (lbs) on the end of the arms and the loader did not even move

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Have been using them often for 14 years on one Kubota (Grand L) and 11 years on the other (BX). Never a problem, never even thought they weren't up to the job. At most, they only hold up a few hundred pounds in the case of the Grand L loader; on the BX, you could probably hold up the weight they carry yourself.

If you have the supports down and lower the FEL with the bucket level, they will touch the ground just a bit before the bucket does. If you're then unwise enough to continue lowering the FEL without adjusting the bucket angle, the entire weight of the front end of the tractor loads onto the supports... of course they'll likely bend. Example # 553 of how improper operation can damage equipment.