FEL lift cylinder replacement

Lenny

Oct 11, 2015
Newton,NC,US
I recently had one of the lift cylinders blow a seal. It also scored the shaft almost the entire length. One repair shop quoted me $360 for a new shaft plus the rebuild kit and labor. I wouldn't do just the one side. Anyway I have searched for replacement cylinders that would fit my machine and can get close but not exact without going to Kubota. I have found cylinders with slightly larger bores and shafts, which I am thinking would be better, but the collapsed length is 1in less than my cylinders. my thoughts are that it wouldn't lift as high as the original cylinders and when the loader is in the down or rest position the cylinder wouldn't be completely collapsed. Am I missing something here ?

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Just put the O.E. one on and forget it. If the o.e. is NLA then you can resort to as close as you can get. Just make sure pin size, bore and stroke width of mounting ends i.e. rod/base and port size and pitch are a close a possible.

Pat

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
What he said.

If you cannot find a shop that specializes in renovation of cylinders, one that can turn parts and match seal to the new dimensions, then its probably simpler over all to just replace the cylinders with OEM replacements. Shipping on a couple of actuators to a facility two states away would cost a bundle.

The cylinders that come on our machines are spec'd to accommodate the range of motion that each FEL has been designed for. Going a little short is a safe option on a non-OEM replacement but then you have the massive job of getting the hinge points welded on and machined to the right sizes. You get a hinge attached at a slight angle by an careless welder, and that small "bind" will wear your hing pins out in no time. Same with having actuators with adequate hinge assemblies attached that need re-sizing. Get those off and they will wear the hinge pin or the joint on the actuator. You may end up spending as much on retro-fitting non-OEM parts as you would buying new OEM replacements... or more.

Actuators and tires are two places I wouldn't cut corners on.

Just my $.02.

Ray

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Larger cylinders will operate slower also.

Another thing, the resale value of the tractor will take a hit if key components of the tractor, such as the loader, have been patch-repaired with non-OEM parts. You might lose more resale value than what you're going to save on the repair.

I'd stick with the OEM parts.