Abrupt shutdown of B2410

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Folks... mowing with the B2410 and the belly mower. 1800 hours on the clock. here is the deal... I was mowing and all the sudden I think I heard a loud metallic sound when the whole shooting match shut down. I took everything out of gear and went to start it back up. NOTHING HAPPENED!

I rechecked and retried to start... not a damn thing... motor will not crank.

I put the tranny in neutral and had my buddy tow me into my shop.

Going to say a couple of prayers and try to spin the engine by jumping the starter to spin the engine...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think this "loud metallic sound" says it all.......

I think placing juice to the starter is not going to help it either.......

Taking a wrench to the front end and spinning by hand might be a better answer - if possible.

If something let go inside the engine - placing current to the starter will only hurt the starter, if the engine does NOT spin over.

If there is a broken connecting rod, crank, bearing seized or whatever - placing a large torque on it will hurt an already badly injured engine.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A loud metal sound is never a good thing,, wish you lots of luck

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Was the "loud metal sound" from the engine internally, or something the mower hit and cause the engine to shutdown/not start?

If it was something internally, then as you know, you become a detective and a mechanic!

I think in that case, I'd pull the valve cover and see what it looks like there, before going further.

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I forgot to mention.... when I heard the it sounded like train wheels sliding on the rail.... and it sounded like it came from the tranny. Also... the exact split second I heard the noise I hit the clutch.... the motor was still running.... I actually shut the engine with the key...

This is why I suggested spinning the engine with the starter with the clutch depressed...

Factor this info in the thread and tell me what you think....:confused:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I forgot to mention.... when I heard the it sounded like train wheels sliding on the rail.... and it sounded like it came from the tranny. Also... the exact split second I heard the noise I hit the clutch.... the motor was still running.... I actually shut the engine with the key...

This is why I suggested spinning the engine with the starter with the clutch depressed...

Factor this info in the thread and tell me what you think....:confused:
ok.....that changes the picture;):)

so - start her normal, place in 1st.....ease out clutch, you'll know soon when - where the strain and pain is...
if 1st is successful - move to second...etc, you'll find out quick enough where the bad link is - hope it aint too painful!:)

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I have a sick feeling it is the hydrostatic drive. Let me tell you why. Over the last couple years when I would run over in town in high gear I could feel the tractor surge a little and get faster then slow down:confused: a bit, also hydrostatic unit seemed to gain in a higher metallic sound pitch.

The two things I am dreading is first the cost of the hydro unit but equally dreaded is splitting the tractor...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Butch, I can't help you with the hydrostatic unit. Splitting the tractor can be intimidating the first time, but remember it's just hardware bolted together. Remove it component by component. To make things easier and quicker to reassemble have a system to keep bolts/nuts/roll pins etc.

Can take a piece of cardboard or styrofoam and push the bolts in a pattern they came out of, then you'll know exactly where each bolt goes. Or you can put all of a group in a container. I use Cool Whip dishes!

Take pictures before you start, and as you're going. You will have references when you have questions.

If you just don't like working on mechanical things, don't start. You don't want to get it half way apart and then want someone else to finish.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"Take pictures before you start, and as you're going. You will have references when you have questions"

best advice .....period.......

I take pictures of stuff I need to get for my wife at the grocery store - cant tell you how many times I got the size or color wrong......hell EVEN with pics.....I can still screw up!

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I just got a quote on the Hydrostatic unit... $2500 less 10%... so $2250. My tractor is a 1999-2000 year B2410 HSD... does anyone have any place that will work with me on a better price?

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I contacted the company on your like regarding the HST... here is their response

Mark Finifrock <markqhi@centurytel.net>
8:37 AM (2 hours ago)

to dtaylor1
Sorry, it is proprietary to kubota. Thank you for checking.

On Apr 26, 2016, at 10:34 PM, postmaster@globalreach.com wrote:

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
On this site we share the good, bad, and the not the ugly... just the dumb and dumber. :eek:

I am here to tell you I am the latter and damn glad of it now. Here is the reason why.

I THOUGHT I heard a sound like metal seizing and I immediately shut the motor down.... and it would not even turn over when I tried to restart. I thought I had visually checked the three safety switches... I did, however the switch on the fwd/rev lever was hard to see so I felt it in what I thought was in operation.

To definitively check the switches I removed the right floor board for a really good look and access to the wiring if need be. The fwd/rev looked funky and I could not get a direct look see at it ... so I pulled the right rear tire.

And there it was... the foot peddle push rod that engages the safety switch was not contacting the switch. The switch unit has come lose and the switch was out of alignment. Five minute fix.... I said a little prayer and and tested the engine start up... BINGO!!!! It started!

Said another prayer, bowed to Mecca, rubbed a Rosary, and asked my Pastor for a Blessing. Then I tried raising the 3 point hitch.... worked like a charm... and zero noise. At this point I was feeling pretty good... So I reassembled the tractor, climbed aboard, fired her up and went to back it out of the garage.... WENT SMOOTH AS SILK. drove it around the block... RUNS PURRRRFECT AMUNDO!

17 years in service and running strong... God I love ORANGE!:D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
How do you spell relief? K U B O T A !
Glad to hear it was something simple... it was sounding pretty ominous.

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Lit'l Foot.... you ain't a lie'n! On a scale from one to ten... the pucker factor was up around 15.....:eek:

Thanks for all the support!!!!! :)

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Sit down you ain't going to believe this one! It was two wiener dogs behind an adjacent wood fence.... their combined howl sounds like a bearing seizing,.... and they were loud enough to be heard over the tractor at full throttle and the mower running. Scared the s&^% out of me... that uis when switched the key off. Can you believe it! Comedy of errors and the orange tractor Gods came through....

Given the circumstances we were all on the same page... thank goodness my input was incorrect... :eek:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Now Butch, this is getting too deep!!!! I got to go get my mud boots on.:D

The Good Lord is trying to tell you something. Not sure what it is...but you better stay tuned in, or all He!! is going to break loose!

Maybe you need to we working your tractor with ear plugs?

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
D2.... I thought i may have hit a cut off stump or something an it was the belt making the noise... no stump or any other obstructions. While I was there the two dogs came out and were simultaneously yelping in a high shrill. The owner told me one dog is deaf and has no idea what she sounds like.

When I was on the tractor they were within 3 feet of me....
:eek:

PS... I don't know if I could pray for a tractor... but I did.... see how it turned out? It worked! Even God loves orange...

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Butch - been watching your thread, and SO GLAD it worked out for you!!

That's the way to pay attention to the "simple" things first!!:D

But Weiner Dogs?!?!?! C'mon:p:p

Just bustin' - best wishes!!!!:):)

Last edited: