Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
D2Cat brought up a good suggestion, :)

(LONG POST)

itemize what is needed to install an OIL pressure gauge on a B7100 (or any other tractor) and STILL keep the idiot light!, having paid close attention to what NIW has said about "fittings" being BSPT ,(British) you would think that is strange for the Japanese to use British fittings - but it is quite common :

http://www.ralstoninst.com/news/story/the-difference-between-npt-bspp-and-bspt-seals/

however, damn near all other "fittings" are NPT ......

other than the pitch being slightly off and the tpi being off a smidgen - 27 tpi vs 28 tpi they will almost work together.

However - I really did not want to spend $20 for a freakin adapter! So.....I found this: (still 10 bucks!)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKM4PU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

T fitting :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PKKXM4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

And gauge:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029K00Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

And a roll of teflon tape.....

So - I carefully got a small wrench in to get the sending unit wire off, hex with phillips inset, neither was a good tool to get it loose! Thank goodness the pliers were good enough to loosen it. Wire off and the unit came off easily.

Just for S&G's I tried to stick the T adapter (NPT) into the hole in the block, BSPT, I could not get it to start in the thread - even though it should "thread up" to a certain point.

Now the PITA part - my hands could not get the T and adapter and the rest in the tight area, so the engine skirt had to come off - well hell, aint no biggie, 6+ bolts and hold your tongue just right and it came off.

So thinking this thing through - I placed the old sending unit on the T fitting, the T fitting on the adapter (all with teflon) and THEN inserted into the engine block - the fat part of the T needed to spin around the battery hot wire that sits right down in that pathway, so a turn, a push on the wire, another turn, this way ALL THREE fittings spin and tighten with the same amount of force without placing too much on any one fitting. Finally got it snug and turned pointing up.

Now the gauge mounting was simple, however the plastic tubing they give you.......its like playing with a plastic slinky!!!! Aint no way you can fight that freakin coil of plastic without a kink or a kuss !

So - newly bought heat gun came into action, placed the gun on the table on low, pulled the tubing across the face of the gun, slowwwwllly straightened it out to the point where it would be usable.

Found out that I only needed about half of the tubing.....so a snip and I had plenty......now for the ferrules for the tube, well lets open the package of all the nuts and screws and what not......

one ferrule - where is number 2? ...... son of a $#%$#^ - O - I was pissed, a true 1 penny part was gonna keep me from finishing this $##$^$ thing! Looked everywhere - man talk about frustration.........

So picked up the gauge for some crazy reason, rattle in it, WTH? so what to do, shake the hell out of it......something falls on the bench, hits the floor....and pooooof - it too is gone.....never saw it hit the floor, so on hands and knees looking on a plywood floor trying to find this magic part.....nuttin, zip - so.......After about 10 minutes I backed up a few steps and whooop there was something up under the tractor tire - ferrule #2 !!!!! WHo in the sam hell sticks it IN the gauge light socket while the rest is in a plastic sealed bag?????

So - mount the gauge, place nut on one end of the tubing, and the ferrule and tighten the tube to the T fitting - no problem, route the tubing for a semi straight shot to the gauge, repeat the fitting...........

Crank the tractor - looking for leaks, none:), tube fills up to a point and then stops, mmmmmm........gauge reads about 60 psi - nice! Grab the wrench and back off the nut at the gauge just a smidge - fluid moves and then I clamp it down.......

SO - double check everything - place the shield back on, and two hours later - I am done!:D:)

Reality it would (should take about 30-45 minutes) if I had to do again!:eek::)

For 30 bucks round trip - money well spent, I'll report back ifn either gauge fails - heard reports of these type of gauges "failing" ......

SO - moving to the lighted end - since I had the temp gauge mounted, I simply tapped in to it's light hot/cold wires.......

so I fire it up again - and son of a beeeeauuucccch - the light on the new gauge works well BUT the other light is now cooked!!! So....back to amazon for bulbs......

another 10 bucks
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLHBUJ2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

but these should be bright! and not burn out!!!!

time will tell!;)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Re: Oil pressure install B7100

Nice clean install! Thanks for all the details and links.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

So what does YOUR flat rate manual charge for this install? Can I get on your schedule?

It looks nice, besides it's a stress reliever knowing pressures/temp. at a glance.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

So what does YOUR flat rate manual charge for this install? Can I get on your schedule?

It looks nice, besides it's a stress reliever knowing pressures/temp. at a glance.
thanks -
Amen on the last line !!!
Now - next order might be the ol' Canopy for the BX! :D:)

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI

T,

Great post and very informative. You sure saved me a bunch of legwork when it comes time to do this install. It is on my list of things to do, just not near the top yet. Thanks!!!

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA

I did this type of installation on a 4wd Case loader tractor many years ago, with the oil pressure gauge being supplied with a plastic tube. It worked well for a long time, until the day a friend was helping, using this tractor to disk, and not noticing that the plastic tube had broken, and over time the tractor slowly hemmoraged all the engine oil. That little plastic tube resulted in a $3000 engine overhaul. If you must put in a pressure gauge, either use an electronic sender, or a small gauge copper pipe routed in such a way that it won't fatigue due to vibration.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA

I did this type of installation on a 4wd Case loader tractor many years ago, with the oil pressure gauge being supplied with a plastic tube. It worked well for a long time, until the day a friend was helping, using this tractor to disk, and not noticing that the plastic tube had broken, and over time the tractor slowly hemmoraged all the engine oil. That little plastic tube resulted in a $3000 engine overhaul. If you must put in a pressure gauge, either use an electronic sender, or a small gauge copper pipe routed in such a way that it won't fatigue due to vibration.
True, That tubing does not last forever. If you have it on a vehicle, I suggest a murphy shut-down switch. Had a friend cook off a deutz diesel tractor's engine, that was hooked to a grain drier, when that little tube vibrated against a hot exhaust part...:D:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014

I've spent a lot of money on name brand oil pressure gauges with electric sending units. Last time, after factory sent their third sending unit, I gave up.

I will stick with the mechanical. I install gauges to use them, and I am in the habit of glancing at them frequently. I'll take my chances.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I've spent a lot of money on name brand oil pressure gauges with electric sending units. Last time, after factory sent their third sending unit, I gave up.

I will stick with the mechanical. I install gauges to use them, and I am in the habit of glancing at them frequently. I'll take my chances.
Having the hot exhaust "close" by - I can see the potential problem of heat cause a serious mess!:D:)

In this case the tube is pointing straight up running through a protective sleeve through the "firewall" and then running into the back of the gauge at 90 degrees.

Like D2Cat said - I look too often at my gauges, and if she springs a leak, left foot will be oil coated!:p

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

The tubing can always be sleeved with a piece of fuel line if there is a possibility of chaffing or heat getting it. ;)

Most if not all of the plumbing fittings for the install can be purchased at a good hardware store. The ace hardware here in town sells bstp and npt fittings and adapters from one to the other in brass, black steel, or galvanized. Plus you can get the tubing, and either push lock or compression fittings to hook up the tubing. Just another option besides mail order if your impatient :)

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

You calling me impatient?????:D:D:D:)

You been talking to my wife again?:D;):)

I can sometimes put the "I" in impatient!!! - then again as my ol butt moves slower - my mind aint too far behind......slllllooower!!! and a little mo' patient! :)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

You calling me impatient?????:D:D:D:)

You been talking to my wife again?:D;):)

I can sometimes put the "I" in impatient!!! - then again as my ol butt moves slower - my mind aint too far behind......slllllooower!!! and a little mo' patient! :)
Not at all :p I was thinking more along the lines of me!!! Usually something like that occurs on whim, and it's usually a saturday. And I want to get it done right now!!!! Course, I'll burn more in gas, running around looking for parts.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014

There's a fine line between patience and procrastination.

I've been told I need more patience. Might be, but I can't be around procrastinators very long........

I've driven 35 miles to Coleman's to pickup a 97 cent O ring!

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA

I agree with D2cat that the electric sending units do not seem to live up to expectations as far as longevity goes, but when a plastic tube springs a leak, after a couple of years, you're not really monitoring it that closely any more, and these leaks are slow and can occur anywhere along the line. Even if you sleeve this tube, it is still vulnerable to breaking at the ends where the swage lock fittings are. This can really come back to bite you.

Last edited:

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI

I agree with D2cat that the electric sending units do not seem to live up to expectations as far as longevity goes, but when a plastic tube springs a leak, after a couple of years, you're not really monitoring it that closely any more, and these leaks are slow and can occur anywhere along the line. Even if you sleeve this tube, it is still vulnerable to breaking at the ends where the swage lock fittings are. This can really come back to bite you.
Every system has it's weaknesses. You need to pick one and work with it. It is going to take a little time to drain oil pan out of a 1/8" line. If you are looking at your gauge every minute or 2, chances are you are going to catch it before it runs dry. After all, if that line comes off, your gauge is going to zero. Just secure the line well to keep it from moving around.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Update on gauges - after installing the oil pressure gauge and it's lighting system, the good ol' light bulb in the temp gauge quit - the incandescent bulb is a filament type and the light is ....well, barely visible!

Here are the lights that I changed too -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLHBUJ2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

now these seem a little expensive ...... 90 cents each!:D:)

ten pack for 9 bucks!

I got to place one in - picture is new LED on right and old bulb on left...

picture is fuzzy as an ape's a$$ - but the brightness shines through!

Changed the other one out too - now my blind butt MIGHT be able to read the gauges.......now that I gots mo better light! The gauge on the right is crystal clear to the viewer.....just not to my cell phone!:D

Attachments

Last edited:

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada

Every system has it's weaknesses. You need to pick one and work with it. It is going to take a little time to drain oil pan out of a 1/8" line. If you are looking at your gauge every minute or 2, chances are you are going to catch it before it runs dry. After all, if that line comes off, your gauge is going to zero. Just secure the line well to keep it from moving around.
on aircraft , the fitting on the engine that the oil pressure line hooks up to
is plugged and has a little tiny hole about .060 IIRC. I used to solder the fitting shut and drill a .040 hole.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com

In the past I have always used 1/8" copper line and tossed the plastic junk.