B7200 electrical help!

das fisch

Apr 28, 2016
Maine
Hello, new to the forum. I am now the proud owner of an '86 B7200 w/1640 FEL and woods 650 backhoe. So psyched to have this machine, it was well taken care of. I've changed all fluids, filters, a few hydro lines, etc.
It was always hard starting, the previous/original owner always boosted it. I wanted to find out the reason why, fully charged the battery. I believe the issue is a heavily corroded starter solenoid terminal. went to remove the power terminal last night and it snapped right off with no pressure at all. I can still jump it until I get the new solenoid I ordered.
Anyhow, that's not the real problem. I have now no lights on the dash and no fuel gauge. I do not know if I am warming the glow plugs now as the lights do not come on when I do the pre start counterclockwise turn.
Did I blow a fuse somewhere while fiddling with the solenoid? still runs great, and no cold out anymore so can't tell if I'm warming the plugs.
I have the service manual and will dive into that as well, but not great with electrical so any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The tractors + feed wire is also under the bolt you snapped off, so no power, bolt the small red wire to the positive battery wire and insulate them!

das fisch

Apr 28, 2016
Maine
Connected the battery positive wire by the solenoid to the red power wire, still nothing. Tested the glow plugs and when key turned counter clockwise I was getting 8 volts I believe, so bit seems they are warming for pre start.
There's that fusible link, I'm assuming that's for the option of adding a fuse there? Could only find two fuses by the headlights and still good. Any other fuses on this machine?

das fisch

Apr 28, 2016
Maine
Manual diagram shows a 15 amp in line fuse after key switch... where is this located? Behind dash? Assuming I need to disassemble dash to get to it?

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
There are two inline fuses at the front of the tractor. They are near the radiator and fan. These may not be your problem. If one blows usually several electrical services go down

My tractor is hard to start. I use the decompression pull knob (black to left of steering wheel}

My procedure which now works every time is;

-Ensure choke (red to right of steering wheel}is open i.e. pushed in
-Throttle to half power
-Turn Key Switch left and count to 40 for glow plug heating
-Foot on clutch
-Pull black decompression knob. This makes cranking easier for battery and faster.
-Key switch to right while decompression knob is pulled out and tractor will fire up.

Hope this helps
Paul