Loader Cylinder, How to Disassemble?

EvenSteven

Equipment
L3010GST, LA481. L2501
I have a LA481 with a leaky lift cylinder and am thinking about putting in the seal kit myself if I can figure out how to get it apart. I know the end unscrews but don't know the method. I had the cylinder on the other side done a few years ago at a shop, and the end cap didn't get chewed up in the process. In other words, I don't think they put a 4-foot pipe wrench on it. Maybe it comes loose easily, I don't know - haven't tried yet. Haven't been able to find any videos specific to Kubota cylinders, just generic stuff. Is there a tool that fits the 2 holes on the side of the cap and it it needed? Thanks.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Not familiar with your loader, but there are lots of different schemes for those cylinder caps. My B219 FEL used snap rings to hold the caps. My B670 backhoe cylinder caps unscrewed with a wrench I made like this:

Attachments

Last edited:

Aluthin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Aug 7, 2015
United Kingdom
With out seeing it .... It sounds like a hook spanner with pin is needed if the holes are on the side of the cap or a pin wrench like lilfoots picture if they are on the end... As well as a strap wrench to hold the cylinder...

Others will know for sure

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Equipment
L3010GST, LA481. L2501
Aluthin, I think the hook spanner is the right tool, thanks for the tip. I don't have one so time to go web shopping. Pin hole size is between 3/16" and 13/64". Looking at hook spanners online and they don't specify pin size so I'm hoping that's somewhat standard.

Here's what I have:

Attachments

EvenSteven

Equipment
L3010GST, LA481. L2501
Thanks, Bill. Adjustable seems like a good idea. I grabbed one of these of Ebay for $26 including shipping. It oughta do the job, my cylinders (lift and dump) are just over 2-inch and this tool has a range of 1-1/4" to 3" with a 3/16" pin. Overall length of all the brands I looked at was about 8-inches ... it will be a pleasant surprise if I don't have to slip a cheater bar on it.

http://www.kaufmanco.com/itemdetail/ARM%2034-358

-Steve

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Adjustable seems like a good idea.
Yup, I have a lot of machine shop equipment/fixturing type stuff of various sizes that use pin or hook type engagement. Works out great for me, the tools cross over to tractor & motorcycle stuff nicely.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Better leave it bolted to tractor to loosen it. Is bloody tight. I made a wrench,think it was a piece of heavy plate and a couple of hard pins. Four foot pipe to break it loose.

EvenSteven

Equipment
L3010GST, LA481. L2501
I decided to punt and took the cylinder to the shop that did my others. This time of year I need the up-time and it's dicey whether I could turn it around as fast as needed. Last time they charged be 20 bucks for the labor - not bad. Maybe next time. I'd like to have a cylinder to practice on but all I can find is new and don't feel like dropping $650 just to satisfy my curiosity.