M7040 Lift Problems

Davesm7040hs

Equipment
M7040HS
Apr 20, 2016
Mendenhall Ms USA
The three point lift will not lower but 7 inches from top. You can lower it that much and raise it right back up but no lower. When its raised up the pump is in a bind you can here the tractor bog a little. Any suggestions are apreciated!!! Thanks David!!!!!

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I'm having a bit of difficulty picturing what is happening based on your post.

It sounds like the pump goes into relief when the 3PH is fully raised. Is that correct?

And the arms will only lower 7 inches from fully raised. Perhaps some more details would help diagnose the problem.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Could be an adjustment issue with the feed back control.
If the feed back thinks it's already down it will shut off the valve, and when it goes up it keeps thinking it's not all the way up. ;)

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Wolfman is correct! Your feed back rod is mis-adjusted or possible bent?

Feed back rod should have two jamb nuts loosen those adjust in or out with the hitch with lift lever in the full up position till the pump un-strokes and may be few turns in the same direction. FYI don't run the pump on relief to long or else you could do damage.

Then to test and I believe this could be in the owners manual but when the hitch is adjusted properly you should have 2.5 inches of hitch free play.

Pat

Davesm7040hs

Equipment
M7040HS
Apr 20, 2016
Mendenhall Ms USA
Found the problem i wanted to share it so if any one else has it they know what to do. IMG_1728 (002).jpg when you raise the lift these little cams rotate. There not hooked together but the one that goes inside #3 in the pic was sticking in the bore. This happens when (like in my case) the tractor was used in a chicken house or a very dusty enviroment. A lot of oil and some working freed it up now works fine.

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Found the problem i wanted to share it so if any one else has it they know what to do. View attachment 22212 when you raise the lift these little cams rotate. There not hooked together but the one that goes inside was sticking in the bore. This happens when (like in my case) the tractor was used in a chicken house or a very dusty enviroment. A lot of oil and some working freed it up now works fine.
Excellent!!! Good sleuthing.

Thanks for reporting back on the solution. That's what this place is supposed to be about.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
What GWD said.

The value of this forum is people who contribute. Those who jump on and ask questions but never bother to give us feedback don't help the group much.

Your response will help people for decades, thanks to our search function. Thanks for taking the time to post that solution.

Ray

Davesm7040hs

Equipment
M7040HS
Apr 20, 2016
Mendenhall Ms USA
Thanks ill always report what i find!!! One of my best friends is the one that pointed me in the right direction. His father owns a Kubota Dealership and he is the mechanic that works on them all the time! Ill be glad to help anyone any way i can. Thanks David:D:D:D:D

NS Farm Girl

Equipment
M7040
Apr 4, 2022
Nova Scotia
Hi David - just reading your thread as I am having a similar issue these days with my 2011 M7040. The diagram you posted above - is this to the left on the rear side of the tractor behind the seat? Just trying to get my orientation. I have tried a few different things with no luck so looking to give this a try.
Thanks, Sarah

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi David - just reading your thread as I am having a similar issue these days with my 2011 M7040. The diagram you posted above - is this to the left on the rear side of the tractor behind the seat? Just trying to get my orientation. I have tried a few different things with no luck so looking to give this a try.
Thanks, Sarah
That valve is to the right hand side.
If you give more details of your issue and the exact model as there is 19 Sub models of that tractor, and the controls vary greatly from one sub model to the other.
Also, do you have the WSM (aka service manual) for it?

NS Farm Girl

Equipment
M7040
Apr 4, 2022
Nova Scotia
I don't have the service manual - wish I did. I did download one online.

Will check my sub model - working on a battery issue now as well.

That valve is to the right hand side.
If you give more details of your issue and the exact model as there is 19 Sub models of that tractor, and the controls vary greatly from one sub model to the other.
Also, do you have the WSM (aka service manual) for it?