Starter Switch Issue

JusticeBDunn

Equipment
Kubota L3000 Tractor
Feb 10, 2015
Chino Valley, AZ
I have a Kubota L3000 purchased used (100 hours shown on the meter) appx 10 years ago. The starter ignition switch has always been an minor issue. I would turn the key to the left to warm the glow plugs then the right to start. Often it would take several turns to engage and start the engine.

Yesterday I did small chore with the tractor (started with normal 2 or 3 key turns). Then latter in the day I tried to start the engine again and it would not start. The ignition lights lit but would not engage the starter. The tractor now has 420 hours.

I had the battery checked and is at 90%. As the starter key switch has been problematic can I assume the starter key switch needs to be replace?

I appreciate your input.

ironpony

Equipment
B7100
Mar 4, 2016
Lancaster Ohio
A little trouble shooting here, could be a relay? between the switch and starter, loose connection? starter solenoid itself? I have seen switches replaced and not fix the problem.

JusticeBDunn

Equipment
Kubota L3000 Tractor
Feb 10, 2015
Chino Valley, AZ
A little trouble shooting here, could be a relay? between the switch and starter, loose connection? starter solenoid itself? I have seen switches replaced and not fix the problem.

At this point I have not removed the panel that contains the ignition key switch, the head lights and the safety flashers.

I would have assumed that the issue is intermittent that is it is the key starters. Wouldn't the starter solenoid be either good or bad ...not intermittent?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Battery terminals, ground connections, and the cables can also be intermittent. Make sure the terminals and post are clean and the ground connection is tight. You can use a jumper cable from the positive battery terminal to the starter solenoid terminal to check the positive cable, connections and solenoid.

ironpony

Equipment
B7100
Mar 4, 2016
Lancaster Ohio
starter solenoid can be intermittent, right now if it is not working, give it a LIGHT tap with a screwdriver handle and try it again. Might work. Like you with the symptoms as you describe, I would lean towards the switch too. However I would do some checking first, I am sure the switch is not cheap.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Along with checking terminals and grounds. If this does not pan out, grab a test light or better yet a volt meter and check for 12V at the start lead on the starter. 1/4" female spade. When cranking, If you have voltage there then I would suspect the solenoid plunger and contacts are cooked. R&r starter or solenoid.

If no voltage then work way backwards to the switch. Still could be the switch?

Pat