Recommendations on used tractor

johnny51

Aug 14, 2014
TN
I looking to buy a used tractor to help out on our small farm. This will be my first tractor. I would like to keep the price around $12k. I want 4wd, a loader and between 40 and 50 hp. The tractor will be used to bushhog, till gardern, grade driveways, move round bales and possibly square bale some hay. I would like a Kubota but would entertain other models as well, just do not know which models to look for and which to stay away from. The age of tractor is not a big deal but do want something that will last me awhile. Any advice will be appreciated.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
From my Craigslist excursions, $12K will get you a 1980's era 50hp rig with a lot of implements, or a bare mid 90's to early 2000 era rig all by itself. There are a ton of variables with that but it seems to be about the median for those units.

If you have the $12K in cash and can afford a monthly payment in the $200ish range, then you can buy a new Kubota at 0% interest with some goodies to go on it.

johnny51

Aug 14, 2014
TN
I have looked at buying new and it is very tempting, but it would get in the way of some other toys I have my eyes on. This purchase will be more to fill a "need" than a "want". Are there certain models that are better than others or are there certain features that are a must?

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Look into dealer harvest returns...that is what I bought. I got a screaming deal as they had forty or fifty returns an made me a great deal on a tractor with only 135 hrs...and I got the factory warranty and a full service too! They usually have a big selection too.

I bought new implements (backhoe, bucket) that I had them add on...

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Dealer harvest returns...are seasonal tractors. Out here (CA) we have seasonal harvesting...like grapes...that require huge areas be harvested in a short period of time...so the manufacturers have dealers put a large amount of tractors into the field.. They are essentially brand new...they rent them to the growers for the harvest...then the dealers take them back and sell them as used.

The dealers are given incentives to sell them...so in my case I got a L2800 with 135 hrs in perfect shape for about 2/3 rds of the new price.

It is part of manufactures getting product in the field, dealers getting new customers and encouraging people to use the manufacturers product.

It may be a local thing..but in my case I saved thousands...for a tractor that was a month old...

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
The dealer returns are a great way to go my neighbor picked up one that only had 86 hours on it with a big discount. Buy all the tractor you can no man ever said I have to much horse power. I have a Grand L3830 that does all you want and then some . Keep an eye out on Craigslist many good tractors to be found there. Good tractor hunting

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Not ment as an insult at all but are you 100% sure you need a 50hp machine? I only ask because you stated this would be your first tractor on a small farm and many overestimate their hp needs (then again many underestimate too). You would be amazed what a 30hp tractor can do.

The other reason I ask is your $12k will buy a much newer/lower hours 30hp-ish tractor vs. a 50hp. As bcbull stated the L3830 is a heck of a machine with "only" 38hp.

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Not ment as an insult at all but are you 100% sure you need a 50hp machine? I only ask because you stated this would be your first tractor on a small farm and many overestimate their hp needs (then again many underestimate too). You would be amazed what a 30hp tractor can do.

The other reason I ask is your $12k will buy a much newer/lower hours 30hp-ish tractor vs. a 50hp. As bcbull stated the L3830 is a heck of a machine with "only" 38hp.
He may be needing the larger unit for the weight to move those bales, we had a thread on that a while ago, but we also came to the conclusion that you just needed some ballast weight on the 3pt. to fix it.

Most folks use the larger 50hp+ units for larger fields. If you aren't plowing under 15+ acres of cropland, you can probably get away with a 34-45ish hp tractor for what he says he needs.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I totally agree - 50hp in a diesel is a stump puller !!! I am amazed what 23 hp can do !!! I agree - look into the L's and the bigger B's......
12k - I think you can get MORE bang for your buck at the 30 hp range! :)