PTO Powered Log Splitter

Farmallguy

Equipment
BX2360 w/54" deck & Back blade
Oct 8, 2014
Silver lake, MN
Anyone bought one for their BX? Built one? I know the hydraulics don't have enough capacity but the pto puts out 18hp. Contemplating this as my next project, I burn wood for heating so trying to stir up some ideas. I'd like to make it a hybrid (horizontal/vertical) for ease of splitting large logs. Shoot me some pics or ideas!

mwe060

Equipment
BX 2370-1 60'MMM FEL R4
Nov 19, 2014
Little Rock, AR
The Bx does have enough Power Hydraulics wise.

But my issue an the reason i decided not to get one is price.
I can buy a standalone unit for about $1000.00 20ton splitter that is either stand up or lay down.
A unit for my tractor is arond $900 but i have to add power beyond to the rear. Or i can get one that has a motor that attaches to the 3ph and is drivin by the pto to power its own pump. It runs around $1800.00

I can pull the standalone behind the tractor and drop; fire it up and go to town. Then use the tractor's FEL to move wood to stacks,house,barn ex..

As much as i would love to use the tractor for this. It is not cost effective and ties up the tractor from moving wood.

FYI i burn about 2 to 3.5 cords a year. Depends on winter and what type of wood i have.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
About the only thing I can think of is a hydo pump off the PTO, and hose it back like a standalone unit,,I kicked this around too but even though it has an motor the stand alone unit much better fits my need, I can drag it out drop it off cut split and do what ever and haul back with the tractor

I wish I only burned 2 or 3 cords a year,,lol As the year is going right now the 8 I have in the barn is not looking like its going to be too much

mwe060

Equipment
BX 2370-1 60'MMM FEL R4
Nov 19, 2014
Little Rock, AR
About the only thing I can think of is a hydo pump off the PTO, and hose it back like a standalone unit,,I kicked this around too but even though it has an motor the stand alone unit much better fits my need, I can drag it out drop it off cut split and do what ever and haul back with the tractor

I wish I only burned 2 or 3 cords a year,,lol As the year is going right now the 8 I have in the barn is not looking like its going to be too much

I burned 4 1/2 last year but is was very cold for longer than usual.

Still It is a chore to gather 4 cords of wood. can only imagine 8.

I try to keep two seasons ahead in the whole wood storage thing. but it can be hard sometimes if you don't want to buy wood. I don't like buying it

I mostly burn White/Red oak, hickory and use VERY seasoned pine or cedar to get it going or if i need it really hot to cook on.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Saw a home made unit that uses bucket tilt cylinders. Both linked together to push the wedge. Wat mounted on loader frame and operated with a rod connected to tilt control.
No reason some kind of setup couldnt be connected to quick connects and operated with a rod.
Then all you need is a cylinder, quick connects and a splitter frame.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I burned 4 1/2 last year but is was very cold for longer than usual.
Either the two of use a different method to figure a cord, 8 x 4 x 4 here, or you are both in need of some serious remodel/reinsulating!:confused:

I have a very old and simple place... ok 1970's double wide... yes I'm trailer trash:D, and I only use 4 cords all winter keeping the house in the mid 60 most of the time, that's the only heat I have and I'm in a lot colder environment than you all!;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LOL this place was built in 1920 and the construction was shall we say not according to code.
Im heating a 2 story house that is being insulated as time and money permit, also living up on TOP of a ridge doesn't help much either, cause the wind blows up here about 355 days a year.
And add to that someone I aint mention no names in case someone reads this, likes to sleep with the window cracked open cause someone needs fresh air. And stands in the kitchen door wide open smoking a cigarette ,,,, Anyway on the average I will burn 4 1/2 to 6 from the end of October to the end of say February depending on the weather of course. And yes 4x4x8 is my cord,, but in the barn its more like 6x12x18 or so

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Either the two of use a different method to figure a cord, 8 x 4 x 4 here, or you are both in need of some serious remodel/reinsulating!:confused:

I have a very old and simple place... ok 1970's double wide... yes I'm trailer trash:D, and I only use 4 cords all winter keeping the house in the mid 60 most of the time, that's the only heat I have and I'm in a lot colder environment than you all!;)
Burned 2 cord last year. Living room averaged 78 to 80 when i would stoke it. Bedrooms bounced between 68 and 71 :D all off a little fire place insert that my wife nicknamed "satan" :) added 10 inches of insulation to the attic the first year we moved in. New widows the second. Originally had old aluminum frame windows and 3" of insulation in the attic

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Hi: I have used both a stand along unit and one using a tractor hydraulics. Both work fine. However, using the tractor I found that even a larger tractor HP than the stand along unit, it was much slower. There is a PTO hydraulic um on the market that would appear to be usable instead of the tractor hydraulics.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The Bx does have enough Power Hydraulics wise.

But my issue an the reason i decided not to get one is price.
I can buy a standalone unit for about $1000.00 20ton splitter that is either stand up or lay down.
A unit for my tractor is arond $900 but i have to add power beyond to the rear. Or i can get one that has a motor that attaches to the 3ph and is drivin by the pto to power its own pump. It runs around $1800.00

I can pull the standalone behind the tractor and drop; fire it up and go to town. Then use the tractor's FEL to move wood to stacks,house,barn ex..

As much as i would love to use the tractor for this. It is not cost effective and ties up the tractor from moving wood.

FYI i burn about 2 to 3.5 cords a year. Depends on winter and what type of wood i have.

I could not have said it better, even if you could build a 3 point one for free - the separate unit is still the way to go !!! Hydraulics and pure speed makes it inefficient for a pto version.

mwe060

Equipment
BX 2370-1 60'MMM FEL R4
Nov 19, 2014
Little Rock, AR

I average 2 cords. Last season was different die to my wife being stay home mom.
This stove burned 24/7 for 3 - 4 months.

Lot of dang wood.

Attachments

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
I agree, a stand alone unit would be the better choice. While it may not be super important, you would be running up your hours on the tractor to run a log splitter. I would prefer to put those hours on a small gas motor that could be easily replaced. My splitter is powered by a $99 motor from Harbor Freight. Change the oil, Change the plug, keep the carb and tank clean it fires up every time. Just another thought.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I got some stuff I would like to see him try and split with that thing

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I got some stuff I would like to see him try and split with that thing
Yeeeeaaah, put a one good knot in there and it's a no go. I split some 18" long stuff that had a complete twist and a big knot in it.

When I am splitting wood I am also using it for moving wood. If I need it for anything I do not have to disconnect it. A person about 7 miles from me uses his Kubota to power a processor. He did it this way for about 20 years racking up allot of hours on on two tractors. After this time he found it so much of a pain in the @ss that he bought a two new Kubota one to move his wood and other tasks and one to power the processor.
When I asked him why he didn't just get a diesel engine to power the processor and free up the tractor his answer was perplexing to say the least. "I did not want to spend the money".:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: