Oil

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
With my L, Kubota specifies SAE 20, SAE 30, 10w30, and 15w40 oil meeting CF and CI-4 specs depending on the temperature. I imagine other models have the same requirements.

When it comes to oil, I am quick to recommend following the manual and for warranty requirements and not using 5w40. I also read here that somebody talked to Kubota Corporate in Japan and was told they don't like running synthetic in hot temperatures. I've run 5w40 in out of warranty tractors in various temps without issues, but when it comes to the warranty, I like to play by the rules.

Anyways, I found this on the Kubota Engine America FAQ page. 3rd question down.. Looks like I've been wrong all along. Granted, this is for their engines division, but I imagine it can't be too far off from their tractor requirements.
http://www.kubotaengine.com/support/faq-2

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
>>somebody talked to Kubota Corporate in Japan and was told they don't like running synthetic in hot temperatures<<

Seriously? I can't imagine why. :confused:

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
>>somebody talked to Kubota Corporate in Japan and was told they don't like running synthetic in hot temperatures<<

Seriously? I can't imagine why. :confused:
I don't see the issue either.

Hopefully whoever it was will chime in.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I can appreciate your worry about oil, but what does your manual state for the minimum cetane your engine requires? If it is like others I’ve seen that require a minimum of 45 what do you do? (40 is the rating on our pumps in PA) Are you worried about them voiding all engine and emissions warranty (if applicable) because you can not find fuel meeting the minimum requirements?

The statement about running synthetic in hot temperatures is odd and inconsistent with what I know about hydrodynamic is plastic flow in bearings, but if there is I’d like to learn about it. Can you reference the source?

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I had to check and it says 40 for mine as well. I've never paid attention honestly.. always have bought off road diesel at the local fuel distributor.

I just read the comment here a while back so no source sadly. I'm not saying it's an issue in terms of performance, function, or engine longevity; just going by what someone here was told by the higher ups. The link I posted in the OP disproves that as well as my warranty concern.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I started out with Rotella 15-40 and I switched to 5-40 T6 Synthetic when it came out and I use it in everything, buy it in 55 gallon drums, cheaper that way and the spare drum gets the drain oil so when they ring a new drum, they get the spare one with drain oil. East-Peasy for me.

The cars, my pickup truck the tractors, the zero turn mower pressure washer, everything is on 5-40 T6. No issues.

Chevron THC Synthetic for the gear boxes on the tractors and 85-90 GL 4-5 fr the FWA axles, the differentials on the truck and the gearboxes on my hay tools. 5 gallon at a time.