Box blade blade depth

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
I am going to add some removable end plates on my rear blade to help keep material contained for redistribution when I start to landscape my yard. Buying a box blade for the job is is out of the question so adding the end plates is the route Im going. Im just curious as to how much lower the blade on a box blade sits compared to the side panels so I know what height I need to make the end plates.

jkwilson

Equipment
M8560
Sep 9, 2016
SW Indiana
I am going to add some removable end plates on my rear blade to help keep material contained for redistribution when I start to landscape my yard. Buying a box blade for the job is is out of the question so adding the end plates is the route Im going. Im just curious as to how much lower the blade on a box blade sits compared to the side panels so I know what height I need to make the end plates.
Usually the plates go below the blade.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I would say the cutting edge is a good 1" to 1-1/4" lower than the side plates.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I would say the cutting edge is a good 1" to 1-1/4" lower than the side plates.
I'd say you are correct. Way back when I made up side plates for the back blade I had then and they were adjustable. I found the best setting was about an inch higher than the cutting edge.

One thing I did and I'd suggest anyone doing is, if the make our buy side plates, hard rod the bottom edge as it will wear away quickly.

Stomper

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
Thanks guys. All of the stuff I will be moving will be sandy soil so it will be easy to scrape up and I won't be moving it far. All I have to do is get building

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Make sure you give it adequate lateral support or the sides will open when it fills.
A box blade is braced across the front from one end to another. You may want to make the blades shorter than those on a box blade.
Hopefully you won't bend your blade attempting to save money.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
https://www.landpride.com/ari/attach...s/303-295m.pdf

According to the info on pages 11 and 12 in this pdf, the blade is about an inch or a bit more lower.

I recently got a 5' Chinese made box blade for less money than the price of the steel to do homemade. Nothing wrong with going the cheap route with some things.

The blades on it are about 3/4" lower than the side frames.

I'm going to bolt a length of 3"x3"x1/4" angle iron to the sides to use a skids so the blades are flush.

My intention is to use it for the drive somewhat as a drive leveler, grader.

After all, it is a driveway meant to be useful, not intended to be pictured in Better Homes and Gardens.

Stomper

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
I spent some time in the shop today and turned my rear blade into a box blade. I made the mistake last year of buying a cheap rear blade and it didnt take long for the frame to crap out. The blade if fine but the frame was way to light. I built a new beefy frame with plans to eventually build an accessory for a box blade. I dont have rippers on it but if I find I need them I will make them. Most of the material I will be moving is sandy anyway. I have the blade 1 inch lower than the side. I still have to make skids for it but this is what I have so far. 5 bolts holds it together and it takes 5 minutes to install or remove.

Attachments

Last edited:

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
I spent some time in the shop today and turned my rear blade into a box blade. I made the mistake last year of buying a cheap rear blade and it didnt take long for the frame to crap out. The blade if fine but the frame was way to light. I built a new beefy frame with plans to eventually build an accessory for a box blade. I dont have rippers on it but if I find I need them I will make them. Most of the material I will be moving as any anyway. I have the blade 1 inch lower than the side. I still have to make skids for it but this is what I have so far. 5 bolts holds it together and it takes 5 minutes to install or remove.
Looks like that will work nicely!