Kubota L48 TLB - cheaper alternatives to factory 3-point hitch

jgoodma1

Equipment
L48
Aug 5, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
I have a 2004 Kubota L48 backhoe that I bought used. The backhoe is removable. The machine did not come with the 3-point hitch components. I'm a total rookie tractor mechanic. I want to start using some rear 3-point hitch implements and am trying to figure out a cheaper way to put together a 3-point hitch than having to buy the factory version, which now costs around $1400 for the full setup. I have not been able to find any after-market versions for my machine anywhere. I guess there just are not enough L48's out there to make it worthwhile for someone to make a knock-off. And from what I have read online and in this forum, the L48 seems to have 3-point hitch components that are unique to it.

I have the diagram from Messick's for the full 3-point linkage/drawbar/hitch setup and it seems to me that the only really critical factory-supplied parts might be the lift arms. The rest of the components look like they could come from Agri-Supply or Tractor Supply, with maybe some simple modifications where the lifting rods connect to the lift arms. So maybe I have to spring for the expensive lift arms...... but can get away with generic lifting rods, top link, etc. Is that realistic or am I missing something important? Thanks for any advice.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
You are correct about the parts being specific to the L48. I went to three different dealers to have them look up the parts then try to reverse look them up to see what other machine those would fit, none! Not even superseded to a new part number.
When I bought my 2000 L48 at a dealer, they told me the parts were around a grand. Too much at the time and I didn't have any implements yet anyway. About a year later I got a wood chipper at an auction so I priced out the parts again. Then they were $1300 CAD at the same dealer. So while on a trip to Ontario, I figured visit a larger dealership. They priced out everything down to the pins and clips, $2200 CAD!
So off to TSC while in Ontario ( there are none in the maritimes :mad:). I bought the top link and the upright lifting links. Then also bought 4 replacement ends for the main lifting arms. Once I got back to work (machine/welding shop) I made up my own lifting arms. The stabilizer chains I used 1/4" chain and turn buckles. I know they'll need to be upgraded if I get in to ground implements but for now, they're fine for my chipper.

Side note about the lifting arms. I don't think they're a lot of L48s on this forum. I asked in open discussion and PMd a few owners directly to get the lengths and hole positions. No one replied. Luckly I came across a very friendly lady at a parts counter at the dealership in Listowel. She called the guys in a central warehouse, they emailed pictures of the arm with measurements!
I tried to upload the photo but it's too big, I haven't figured out how to shrink a PDF yet. If you're interested I might be able to PM directly. Not sure if they have a max size also.

Depending what kind of tractor scrap yards you have around, you might have good luck down there( assuming you're in the USA) Canada is very limited and shipping from the US is outrageous for heavy stuff like that.

Good luck

jgoodma1

Equipment
L48
Aug 5, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
That's good to know that TSC or Agri-Supply have parts that can work. I have a couple more questions. I just watched some Youtube videos on connecting and using a box blade, and it looks like you have can move the lifting arms back and forth a pretty big amount to enable them to fit the width of the connection to whatever implement you are using. And it seems that there are all different length adjustable top links available. But in other posts about 3-point hitches and the L48, it seems that the exact length and bend of the lifting arms is important. I don't understand why that is. If you can flex them in and out multiple inches, does it really matter if the angle of the bends in the arms is precisely a specific angle? And if you can get different length top links or even add an extension to the top link mounting bracket, does the top link need to be the precise length that the factory top link is? Why can't you just use off-the-shelf generic lifting arms from TSC, as long as they are long enough, and then just buy the top link that is the correct length to work with those lift arms? I don't understand why the specificity of the L48 3-point hitch setup is so important. Could someone explain to me why the precise length of the lifting arms and top link is important. It just seems to me that if the lifting arms are long enough so that you miss the tires, that any length beyond that should work. Thanks.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
What is the wholegoods order number?

Will L3961 work?

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
So what is the correct wholegoods number?

What is different in linkages between L47 and L48?

Last edited:

jgoodma1

Equipment
L48
Aug 5, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
There isn't a wholegoods number, or at least there isn't any more. The 3-point linkage was an option on the L48 and a lot of people did not buy it because they never intended to take off the backhoe. I talked to Messicks and this is what they told me. I have read other posts on other forums where folks were suggesting the possibility of the L47 hitch working on an L48, but it does not. I know the L48 is a little bigger physically than the L47, and I think the geometry of the linkage is different.